Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bengals free agent thread

Re: Bengals free agent thread

The Miami Herald is reporting that Harrington is close to a deal with the Dolphins.

A source close to Harrington said the Lions quarterback preferred the Dolphins' two-year offer over a one-year deal from Cincinnati and interest from Denver. The terms of the Dolphins' deal were not available, although Harrington is expected to earn approximately $2 million in 2006 from either the Dolphins or Bengals...

...''It could change because you know how [Bengals owner] Mike Brown is about quarterbacks when he likes one,'' the source said. ``But I think it'll get down with Miami in the next day or two. [Harrington] just seemed to be a little more comfortable with the whole situation in Miami.''...

...Harrington also thinks he could see more playing time with the Dolphins than with Cincinnati. Both Dolphins starter Daunte Culpepper and Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer are recovering from knee surgery after sustaining season-ending injuries in 2005. Harrington has better information on Palmer's situation because Dunn also represents Palmer.

''The feeling is that [Culpepper's] injury is more serious and Culpepper is new, so that could give Harrington more of a chance to play,'' the source said. ``He knows it's a backup situation, but he's looking for the best chance to get out there, do a good job and then hit the market a year from now if he can do that.''
    Looks like we're going to get stuck with Anthony Wright as our backup QB
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have no idea why they're not interested in Kerry Collins for a one year rental. He has the arm to run our offense efficiently and it'd be a perfect situation for both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    I have no idea why they're not interested in Kerry Collins for a one year rental. He has the arm to run our offense efficiently and it'd be a perfect situation for both parties.
    I think in the end, you'll see Kerry Collins end up in Baltimore if Steve McNair isnt cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Kerry Collins =

Porkchop Sandwiches

Knowing how well he has picked apart the Bengals repeatedly while playing for the Browns, I am surprised there is not talk of going after Dilfer. If Baltimore could win a SB in spite of him, maybe the Bengals could quest for one with him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    Kerry Collins =
    applies to almost any backup QB in the league, particularly the ones still available.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Knowing how well he has picked apart the Bengals repeatedly while playing for the Browns, I am surprised there is not talk of going after Dilfer. If Baltimore could win a SB in spite of him, maybe the Bengals could quest for one with him as well.
    When did that happen?

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    When did that happen?

Sorry, meant Kelly Holcomb.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Sorry, meant Kelly Holcomb.
    Yea, I wish Holcomb was available. He would be a good option in case Palmer couldn't go. But the backup market is bad, heck many teams don't even have a competent starter, so when you're talking backups its really slim pickings.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Adams is officially in the fold.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5177

Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-03-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Is there any hope of signing Arrington or did he go somewhere else?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He's still out there

From the Sun-Sentinal today:
    A source said Monday that the Dolphins are working on a deal to acquire Lions quarterback Joey Harrington.

The source also said that the Dolphins were willing to give Harrington a two-year contract, but the Lions were holding out for a higher draft pick.

Detroit is reportedly looking for at least a sixth-round pick, but the Dolphins already have traded away their fifth- and sixth-round picks.
    The source added that the Bengals were still in the picture, but that the Dolphins were the front-runners because Harrington felt that he would get more of an opportunity to display his skills while Daunte Culpepper recovers from season-ending knee surgery.
    "Joey would be happy with both, but right now it's up to the Lions and when [GM] Matt Millen wants to pull the trigger," the source said.

Harrington's agent David Dunn said that his client was impressed by both the Dolphins and Bengals.

"He liked both situations," Dunn told ESPN.com. "He liked the organizations and the coaches and, in a lot of ways, there are similarities, with both the [starting quarterbacks] coming off injuries. Nothing has been decided yet, but I don't think it will be a whole lot longer."
    So, it looks like Harrington would rather sign with Miami--I think the biggest advantage they have over the Bengals is the weather...but that hasn't been mentioned. BUT...Miami has nothing left to trade Detroit. The Bengals are on the outside looking in but the sixth round pick thing may bring us back into play if the Lions decide to play hardball.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

This is from today's Enquirer:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...604040374/1078

The Bengals talked again Monday with the agent for Jamie Martin, and the former Rams' backup/part-time starter could be the fourth quarterback the Bengals take to training camp.

If a deal could be reached, Martin would join Craig Krenzel and Doug Johnson in the battle for two roster spots behind Carson Palmer.

With the Dolphins favored to engineer a trade with the Lions and sign Joey Harrington, the Bengals again are turning toward Martin.

"If Harrington is gone, we'll move forward with it," said Tom Mills, Martin's agent. "The contract would still need to be negotiated, and there are some material issues. Jamie would just as well not play as play for the minimum."

Palmer's rehab from reconstructive surgery to his left knee is going well, but questions remain whether he can be ready for the first month of the season.

The Bengals are in a tough spot. They have more than $30 million invested in Palmer this year alone, and they are trying to sign a fourth quarterback who possibly could be the opening-day starter.

On Monday, the first day of the team's offseason strength and conditioning program, Johnson and Krenzel both said their goal was to be the starter in September if Palmer is unable to play.

If the Bengals sign Martin, any two of the three besides Palmer could be on the 53-man roster to start the season.

Johnson, who arrived Sunday night, previously had spent three days in Cincinnati with quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese.

"Kind of got my feet wet a little," Johnson said. "I'm trying to settle in and be ready for training camp and be where we need to be."

Krenzel started five games as a rookie with the Bears in 2004.

"That's my goal," he said, when asked if he could be the first-game starter. "I want to be prepared and be good enough to do that."

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I think Martin is the better choice anyway.

Turn Off Ads?