Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bengals free agent thread

Re: Bengals free agent thread

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Sorry, meant Kelly Holcomb.
    How could you have meant Holcomb, when you said that he lead Baltimore to a Super Bowl? I don't remember Holcomb doing that.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by E. Davis 44
    How could you have meant Holcomb, when you said that he lead Baltimore to a Super Bowl? I don't remember Holcomb doing that.

In my mind I combined two QBs. Holcomb picks apart the Bengals like a bad habit, and the Ravens won despite a bad QB. I bit off more than I could chew, should have gone on more than my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Davis 44
    Doesnt matter anyways, I think Dilfer has probably picked the Bengals apart sometime in his career.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The Canton Rep is reporting (or at least implying that the Bengals seem to be interested in trading up to get AJ Hawk. I've not heard ANYTHING about this. Am I reading this right? Anybody else heard anything anywhere?

BEREA - Fast forward to the Browns’ home opener in September. The defensive starters run through the giant orange helmet, one by one.

There’s the new nose tackle, redwood stump Ted Washington, introduced between veteran ends Orpheus Roye and Alvin McKinley.

The frisky young safeties, Brodney Pool and Sean Jones, generate a buzz. Veteran Daylon McCutcheon and chirpy Gary Baxter are cornerbacks who inspire confidence.

New outside linebacker Willie McGinest draws a huge cheer. The other outside backer, Chaun Thompson, suddenly has a following. Captain Andra Davis, an inside linebacker, already had one.

Now the vision soars as the other inside linebacker is presented.

“From The Ohio State University, No. 47, A.J. Hawk.”

Last month’s free-agent pick-ups have Browns fans buzzing. Imagine what drafting Hawk on April 29 would do.

The vision has minor flaws.

Hawk grew up as a Bengals fan. Also, he can’t wear his Buckeye number any more; NFL linebackers are confined to the 50s and 90s.

The major flaw: The Browns would have to trade a ton to move up from their current No. 12 spot to get him.

However, doing so is plausible, given that inside linebacker is Cleveland’s most crying need, given everything Hawk represents, and given the likeliest trading partner.

More than a few analysts see the Packers taking Hawk at No. 5. Mel Kiper Jr. is saying so in front of ESPN cameras.

Only Cincinnati is as motivated to get Hawk as the Browns. The Bengals, though, couldn’t offer Green Bay what Cleveland can.

Center Jeff Faine would be an important piece of a deal. Indications are that the Packers are interested. Green Bay has more overall holes than Cleveland and therefore needs more new players.

The Browns are well stocked with draft picks.

Moving up to No. 5 probably might force the Browns to give Green Bay:

n Faine, a former first-round pick with two years left on his contract.

n Their No. 12 pick (Cincinnati’s Round 1 pick is No. 22).

n Their second-round pick, No. 43 overall.

n One of their two fourth-round picks.

We know this: Trading is a tool Phil Savage will readily use. He has pulled off, proposed and entertained as many deals as any general manager over the last year.
    LINK
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

A former first round pick and a center, the #12 pick, an early 2nd round pick, AND a fourth round pick to move up 7 spots. Yeesh. Keep him.

I wonder why the Browns have trouble staying competitive?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I just saw this on Bengals.com... now they need to get deals done for Levi Jones, Eric Steinbach & Jeremi Johnson.

Notes: Williams agrees to extension

April 6, 2006
    Posted: 10:35 a.m.

The Bengals have reached their first contract extension with a member of the offensive line with right guard Bobbie Williams agreeing to what is believed to be another three years. A source with Eastern Athletics Sports Services said Friday morning Williams has agreed to an extension that is expected to be signed next week.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5184

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    I just saw this on Bengals.com... now they need to get deals done for Levi Jones, Eric Steinbach & Jeremi Johnson.
    Isn't Big Willie in need of one also?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Article from Bengals.com

Watson re-signs
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    April 10, 2006

2:15 p.m.
    The Bengals backup quarterback search looks to be in neutral for now with Jamie Martin scheduled to visit Seattle and the Joey Harrington deal Xed out by the extension for right guard Bobbie Williams. The Bengals did announce Monday that they’ve reached a one-year deal for running back Kenny Watson.

From the Miami Herald:

Agent Kevin Poston said Sunday the Dolphins remain a player in talks for three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington.

However, Poston indicated the Dolphins have not come close to matching a proposal he has asked for and that teams such as Jacksonville, Cincinnati and the New York Giants remain in the running.

Bengals have resigned Jeremi Johnson to the biggest contract for a fullback.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2407674

Three-year veteran fullback Jeremi Johnson on Thursday completed a five-year, $7.528 million extension with the Bengals that, in new money, made Johnson the highest-paid fullback in football. The deal came hours after he signed his one-year, $721,600 restricted free-agent tender.

The contract was a significant achievement for Johnson and his agent, Peter Schaffer, who had to work overtime to push the envelope on getting a fullback paid. Prior to Johnson's deal, only 15 fullbacks made $1 million or more a season.

Johnson also flirted briefly this offseason with signing a restricted free-agent offer sheet with the San Francisco 49ers. The deal will keep him in Cincinnati through 2011.

"The negotiations still had some momentum [after the tender signing], and I'm very excited we've been able to secure Jeremi for the long term," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis told SportsTicker. "He's a fantastic blocker and also a threat as a receiver. Jeremi wanted to get this deal done, he wants to be a part of what's happening here, and that's a big plus for our team."

Johnson is a powerful 265-pound lead blocker who has cleared the way for star tailback Rudi Johnson to average 1,289.7 rushing yards over the past three seasons. He has also improved dramatically as a pass blocker over the last two years and, when injuries depleted the Cincinnati backfield, he filled in admirably as a third-down tailback.

A fourth-round choice in the 2003 draft, the former Western Kentucky standout is a prototype of how the fullback position is defined by most teams now. He has just 69 "touches" in three seasons, including only 26 rushes in 48 appearances, but is a selfless performer. While he might not seem as critical a cog to the potent Cincinnati offense as the stars who share his surname, Rudi Johnson and wideout Chad Johnson, the young fullback is a key component.

"He's athletic and can do a lot of things," acknowledged Rudi Johnson.

Also on Thursday, quarterback Carson Palmer, still rehabilitating from surgery to repair the two ligaments that he tore in his left knee during the Bengals' wild card-round playoff loss to Pittsburgh, threw briefly at the team's complex. Palmer is still only in the jogging phase of his recovery, and a timetable for his return remains uncertain, but he has suffered little swelling in the knee and had no setbacks.

Palmer is aiming for a mid-June mini-camp for returning to his normal throwing routine and is still hopeful of being in the starting lineup for the regular-season opener.

Arrington update from the DDN:

The Bengals, Green Bay, Miami, Jacksonville and New York Giants are in the running for outside linebacker LaVar Arrington, who was scheduled to have a $12.045 million salary cap number before being released by Washington.

He paid back $4.4 million to the Redskins in order to get his release and become a free agent, then reportedly asked for a seven-year, $54 million contract from the Giants.

"We have an interest in LaVar," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said.
    LINK
    I like the fact that the Bengals have interest...but I just don't see it happening.

Bengals have signed QB Anthony Wright to a one year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2414522

Updated: April 19, 2006, 8:25 PM ET
    Bengals, QB Wright agree to 1-year dealBy Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Moving to fill their need for a veteran insurance policy at quarterback, the Cincinnati Bengals on Wednesday night reached a contract agreement in principle with unrestricted free agent Anthony Wright, ESPN.com has learned.

A seven-year veteran who played the last four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, Wright will sign a one-year contract. Financial details were not yet available, but it is believed the contract will pay Wright a base salary in the seven-figure range and provide him the opportunity to earn more through incentives.

Barring an extension, Wright will be eligible for unrestricted free agency again next spring.

The addition of Wright is critical for the Bengals, given that starting quarterback Carson Palmer continues to rehabilitate from January surgery to repair two torn tendons in his left knee and that he may not be ready for the beginning of the regular season. Palmer and Bengals officials have reiterated that his recovery is on pace and that there have been no setbacks, but there is still no firm timetable for his return to the field. The injury to Palmer occurred in the first quarter of a wild-card playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Cincinnati officials decided to sign Wright, 30, after considering several other options. The Bengals met with a number of candidates earlier in the free-agency period and were also involved in trade talks aimed at acquiring Joey Harrington from the Detroit Lions. In recent weeks, the Bengals seemed to focus on veteran journeyman Jamie Martin as a possibility before opting to sign Wright.

The Bengals have two other quarterbacks on the roster, Doug Johnson and Craig Krenzel, and both have limited starting experience. But with the possibility remaining that Palmer could miss the first month of the 2006 season, Cincinnati coaches and executives wanted a No. 2 quarterback with more experience. The team actually met with Wright in Cincinnati three weeks ago and kept him on its radar.

In 24 appearances, including 19 starts, Wright has completed 328-of-595 passes for 3,547 yards, with 11 touchdown passes and 22 interceptions. The former South Carolina star started seven games in 2005 when Ravens starter Kyle Boller suffered a foot injury and completed 164-of-266 passes for 1,582 yards, with six touchdown passes and nine interceptions.

Wright has a very strong but sometimes erratic arm and good running skills. Originally signed by the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 1999, Wright moved to the Dallas Cowboys in 2000 and then to the Ravens in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    Bengals have signed QB Anthony Wright to a one year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2414522

On the bright side, he might be able to help out the D with some details of the Ravens' playbook.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    On the bright side, he might be able to help out the D with some details of the Ravens' playbook.
    He might be able to help the D by throwing some interceptions during practice.

Turn Off Ads?