Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wagner gone?

Wagner gone?

Sorry if this was already posted. Is Dan O'Brien still here? Mike Burns over Wagner, c'mon.

Ryan Wagner - R - Reds

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds scouts suspect that Ryan Wagner might be available through a trade.
    Some team needs to go get him. As things stand now, it appears that the Reds are leaning toward carrying Mike Burns over him on their Opening Day roster. Mar. 30 - 1:59 pm et

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wagner gone?

Both Fay and Marty agreed that Wagner was likely to be the odd man out in the pen. Thank goodeness we have Rick White.

Making room to sign Denny Reyes again?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Making room to sign Denny Reyes again?
    The Power of Tradition
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Options and Service Time are also factors.

From this AMs Enquirer...

IN THE 'PEN: The battle for the last bullpen spot is more interesting because the player who wins the spot will have a bigger role than the 25th man.

Belisle is probably in because of his versatility - he could be a long-relief guy or a spot starter. He's 0-0 with a 3.27 ERA this spring.

The Reds love Coffey because he throws strikes. He's 2-0 with a 2.77 ERA, and he has walked only two batters all spring.

That leaves Burns and Wagner.

Both have had terrific springs. Wagner, 23, is 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA. He has allowed one earned run in his last 11 innings. Opponents are hitting .150 off him.

Burns, 27, is 0-0 with a 1.98 ERA. Opponents are hitting .188 off him.

There is a sense around the club that Burns has the edge.

There also has been talk among scouts that Wagner might be available through a trade.

The rap on Wagner: He's been good each of his three springs with the Reds, but his numbers haven't carried through to the season. He was 3-2 with a 6.11 ERA last season. He spent the second half of last season on the DL with a sore shoulder.

Belisle, Coffey, Burns and Wagner all have options.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Ryan Wagner for Ryan Shealy.

Do it. Do it now.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

After last season, Wagner should be the presumptive odd man out in the pen.

However, for the longer term, he still has much potential, is young, and should be treated as a valuable guy, either at AAA or in a trade for value.

If you want to trade Wagner for a long-term goal, fine. But if they trade him simply because they are digging Burns' pyrite and keep old men like White, Hammond, Mercker and Weathers around on a team that has a snowball's chance, that's just plain mismanagement.

Of course, that is all contingent on what kind of deal they have cooking to include him in.

Apparently you need to be on the north side of 30 to get in this pen.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    After last season, Wagner should be the presumptive odd man out in the pen.

However, for the longer term, he still has much potential, is young, and should be treated as a valuable guy, either at AAA or in a trade for value.
    Wagner needs major work on his mechanics. He will never have command nor health until he is smoothed out.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Options and Service Time are also factors.
    Big factors. I hate it when a guy is called up too soon and by the time he figures it out (if he ever does), he's eligible for arbitration. If he's pitching great, then sure, bring him up; but as long as he has options and isn't pitching any better than what we have on hand, the straightening-out can happen in Louisville without the meter running.

The KC writeup in BP 2006 was an eye-opener on the subject.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Wagner needs major work on his mechanics. He will never have command nor health until he is smoothed out.
    His mechanics is what seems to make him effective in the first place. I think his problems are maturity more than anything else, which one sign that they are improving is that he showed up in great shape this spring. Unless he's leaving for some pitching, he needs to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Apparently you need to be on the north side of 30 to get in this pen.
    Jealous?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

..Not really no
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?