Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A little Advice Please

A little Advice Please

Hey all,

I was just wanting another person's advice who would be more unbiased looking at my team than I am. I am in a Yahoo fantasy league (12 teams) and have the following roster:

C J. Posada
    1b L. Overbay
    2b M. Giles
    3b A. Rodriguez
    SS C. Barmes
    OF V. Wells
    OF T. Hunter
    OF K. Griffey Jr.
    Util G. Anderson
    Util E. Encarnacio
    BN C. Guillen
    BN J. Encarnacion

(For lineup, 3 starters, 2 relievers, 3 pitchers)
    SP R. Oswalt
    SP J. Beckett
    SP D. Haren
    SP J. Thomson
    SP T. Hudson
    SP R. Lopez
    RP B. Wagner
    RP Fr. Rodriguez
    RP M. Timlin
    RP S. Shields

DL B. Sheets
    DL M. MacDougal

The stats in my league are as follows:

Off. Stats: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, A, FPCT, AVG, OPS
    Pitch Stats: IP, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/9

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone could give some advice on what to do to make my team better. I think I have quite a few solid players and can do well in the league, but I think I could also make some moves to improve. I think I am over valuing my own players and being too hesitant to make a move.

Here are the moves I am contemplating:

1.) Trade A. Rodriguez for more depth
    -I've been talking with another owner about a possible A Rod/Barmes trade for Rolen/Jeter/Huston Street (with other smaller parts possibly thrown in on each side).
    -I would be open to other suggestions from anyone re. dealing ARod and what to target if I did

2.) Assuming I could get Street then use my bullpen depth to trade Billy Wagner for a power bat of some sort (1B?), which would allow me to move Overbay to a Utl spot.

3.) Possibly deal V. Wells or T. Hunter for an outfielder with speed so I can get more SB

Those are the main moves I am contemplating. If anyone could give me comments on them or any other moves you would make in my situation I would really appreciate it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A little Advice Please

It's generally a bad idea to trade first-rounders for depth, but if your return is Rolen, Jeter, and Huston Street, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. Those three will outperform Rodriguez and Barmes by a lot. I wouldn't try to "throw in smaller parts," though.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

First time poster here. Long time fantasy player. I would try to use one of my top starters and get a first baseman. Sheets will be back and pitching is something that you can pick up off the waiver wire. You could also get some stolen bases in the same trade. Example Roy Oswalt for Dunn and someone like Freel. Find the player with the worst pitching in the league and see what he's got. If you can do that you'll have your first baseman, steals, and still have good pitching. AND you still have A-Rod.

Thanks for the advice guys. It looks like I might be overvaluing ARod a little. I think I could definately deal a starter as you suggested Handofdeath. Thanks again guys, I'll see how this plays out.

Every year i seem to finish last. I'll keep my advice to myself.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    Hey all,

I was just wanting another person's advice who would be more unbiased looking at my team than I am. I am in a Yahoo fantasy league (12 teams) and have the following roster:

C J. Posada
    1b L. Overbay
    2b M. Giles
    3b A. Rodriguez
    SS C. Barmes
    OF V. Wells
    OF T. Hunter
    OF K. Griffey Jr.
    Util G. Anderson
    Util E. Encarnacio
    BN C. Guillen
    BN J. Encarnacion

(For lineup, 3 starters, 2 relievers, 3 pitchers)
    SP R. Oswalt
    SP J. Beckett
    SP D. Haren
    SP J. Thomson
    SP T. Hudson
    SP R. Lopez
    RP B. Wagner
    RP Fr. Rodriguez
    RP M. Timlin
    RP S. Shields

DL B. Sheets
    DL M. MacDougal

The stats in my league are as follows:

Off. Stats: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, A, FPCT, AVG, OPS
    Pitch Stats: IP, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/9

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone could give some advice on what to do to make my team better. I think I have quite a few solid players and can do well in the league, but I think I could also make some moves to improve. I think I am over valuing my own players and being too hesitant to make a move.

Here are the moves I am contemplating:

1.) Trade A. Rodriguez for more depth
    -I've been talking with another owner about a possible A Rod/Barmes trade for Rolen/Jeter/Huston Street (with other smaller parts possibly thrown in on each side).
    -I would be open to other suggestions from anyone re. dealing ARod and what to target if I did

2.) Assuming I could get Street then use my bullpen depth to trade Billy Wagner for a power bat of some sort (1B?), which would allow me to move Overbay to a Utl spot.

3.) Possibly deal V. Wells or T. Hunter for an outfielder with speed so I can get more SB

Those are the main moves I am contemplating. If anyone could give me comments on them or any other moves you would make in my situation I would really appreciate it.
    NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND YOUR LOGIC, A ROD IS A POWER BAT AND STREET AND WAGNER ARE CLOSE TO EACH OTHER. YOU SWITCH WAGNER AND STREET AND HAVE TO LOOK FOR A POWER BAT, DOUBT YOU WILL FIND A BETTER POWER BAT THAN AROD IF YOUR DANGLING BILLY WAGNER. i WOULD RATHER HAVE WAGNER AND A-ROD THAN STREET AND WHOEVER YOU CAN GET FOR WAGNER. i SAY KEEP HIM. TRY PACKAGING BARNES AND ONE OF YOUR UTIL GUYS FOR A SLIGHT UPGRADE AT SHORT, ANDERSON HAS BEEN A FLOP LATELY BUT HIS NAME ALONE STILL HOLDS VALUE.

I would definately move a starter, or even two along with any of your OF w/ exception to jr, and wells, for upgrades at OF/UTIL or an upgrade at 1b, also in these leagues middle relievers dont really offer as much value, Timlin will give you a slight boost for ERA, and possible a vulture win or two, but not much else, and w/ foulke/papelbon in bos, dont look for the repeat on 16 saves, so drop him, add erik bedard and trade 2 starters.

by the way, dont move wells, he is always very good in may/june, try to move him around the all-star break, unless you can get great value for him

I wouldn't move Arod. I would wait for KG to get healthy and try to move him for speed.

I have hung onto ARod thus far. Today, though, I have gotten an extremely interesting trade and I just wanted opinions.

I was offered Miguel Cabrera and Chone Figgins for ARod and Garret Anderson (or whatever other OF'er I want to give up).

I'm not really sure which way to go. Figgins seems to be like ARod in struggling thus far but when I look at both of them they appear to be on pace in all the stat catagories except average. My current roster is:

C B. McCann
    1B L. Overbay
    2B M. Lowell
    3B Á. Rodríguez
    SS M. Tejada
    OF V. Wells
    OF K. Griffey Jr.
    OF I. Suzuki
    Util G. Anderson
    Util C. Patterson
    BN M. Giles
    BN S. Hillenbrand

Pitching

SP D. Willis
    SP T. Hudson
    SP B. Zito
    RP Fr. Rodríguez
    RP A. Otsuka
    P J. Thomson
    P S. Shields
    P D. Haren
    BN B. Tomko
    BN J. Beckett
    DL B. Sheets
    DL M. MacDougal

That's just the current lineup, I obviously alternate pitchers when they start and move positional guys around as well.

Stats for my league are:
    R, H, HR, RBI, SB, A, FPCT, AVG, OPS
    IP, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/9

The other guy's lineup is:
    C J. Estrada
    1B R. Howard
    2B C. Figgins
    3B K. Youkilis
    SS É. Rentería
    OF N. Swisher
    OF Mi. Cabrera
    OF C. Crawford