Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: 5/14/06 - Reds vs. Phillies Game Thread

Re: 5/14/06 - Reds vs. Phillies Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    What a frustrating series. Still...I can't help feeling that this is not a lost cause. I would be frustrated and devoid of hope if the Reds had lost the series in a way I would have expected, ie. decent offense and horrendous pitching. But it was quite the opposite -- pathetically dead offense, surprisingly good pitching from all of our bottom three. If we have to lose, I'd rather lose that way; it gives me a bit of hope. Our offense is inherently good, and they will wake up at some point. But the pitching...any one of those three can have a fluke good start, but for the three performances we've seen, I've gotta think, at my most optimistic, that there may be something good going on with the coaching. It's early yet, but a few more rounds like this and I'll be feeling a lot better.

Of course, it could just look good to me because I've been watching the Cubs all afternoon.
    I like the way you look at things. I hate to see good pitching performances go to waste, but wow is it nice to see such good pitching from these three guys. Let's hope they can keep it up. (Hey, I can hope, can't I?)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    From what I can tell, fans view the early season teams as a mirage. It's becoming like clockwork.
    I don't know. The board is replete with the standard spring posts.

"Everyone just chill, we're still in contention...yadda, yadda"

"This team is different, they have a winning attitude...yadda, yadda"

"Quit pointing out all those disturbing facts, enjoy the annual spring week in 1st place, you guys complaining are overreacting doom and gloomers who aren't real fans anyway...yadda, yadda"

I think the average Reds fan feels the starting pitching is fixed because Arroyo is a true ace, that Narron is a good manager and this team is a legit playoff team if we can just find some bullpen help.

I think most RZ'ers know the starters are living on borrowed time, the pen isn't just a little broke, Narron is Boone/Miley V 3.0, and the new front office is very limited in what they can do to help because of a barren minor league system and the payroll being what it is.

If the Reds are even mathmatically alive for the WC and anyone runs up the white flag its going to get ugly for a while but in the end it won't matter as long as they eventually put a winner on the field.

Cardinals lost today so the Reds are still 1 game behind them.
    The Astros won and are now 1 game behind the Reds.

Reds face Maholm, Perez and Santos when the play the Pirates this week.
    All 3 guys have ERAs over 5.00. It would be a good time for the offense to wake up.

I attended both games this weekend. Right before the 2nd Howard HR i was telling my wife how having him in the 9th spot will enable the Reds to pitch around him. OOPS.

got alil captain in u?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Cardinals lost today so the Reds are still 1 game behind them.
    The Astros won and are now 1 game behind the Reds.

Reds face Maholm, Perez and Santos when the play the Pirates this week.
    All 3 guys have ERAs over 5.00. It would be a good time for the offense to wake up.
    those 3 pitcher should make the reds bats salivate santos got rocked by the fish mahlom and perez have yet to find the strikezone perez has been screwing with his mechanics he is no where close to finding it they skipped him in the rotation this week when one of there games got cancelled

Can he be stopped?

I was saving my 600th post for a reds win, but i need to get on with my life and post on this board again before tuesday

I went to the game on Sunday. I had a good time except for a couple of things, first was that the Reds lost and second was the stupid lady in the row in front of me that didn't realize that there was an actual baseball game going on. Why do people just come to the game to socialize? She really got on my nerves as I was trying to enjoy the game front the best seats ever.

If you get a chance, sit in section 224(club home). That is the perfect seat to enjoy the game. As far as the game goes, when Ryan Howard came in, I said, to my friend, watch this guy, it's probably going into the river. As we know, he hit 2 and beat the Reds on Sunday.

I'll be back sometime in June.

btw, the crowd that was there was pretty into it, but where was everyone? 19 thousand for a Sunday afternoon game against Philly when the Reds are only 1 game out? I highly doubt that 19k actually showed up. The weather wasn't that bad and was actually nice for most of the game.
    Last edited by Jpup; 05-15-2006 at 02:04 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Any team that pitches to Ryan, when they know what he was sent in there to do... AND THEN DO IT TWICE!.... deserves to lose.

As far as I'm concerned, they gave away both the Saturday and Sunday games on some really silly decision making, and wasted some solid pitching performances.

The Q error and the WP by Coffey didn't help matters much; but still poor decision making overall IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I went to the game on Sunday. I had a good time except for a couple of things, first was that the Reds lost and second was the stupid lady in the row in front of me that didn't realize that there was an actual baseball game going on. Why do people just come to the game to socialize? She really got on my nerves as I was trying to enjoy the game front the best seats ever.

If you get a chance, sit in section 224(club home). That is the perfect seat to enjoy the game. As far as the game goes, when Ryan Howard came in, I said, to my friend, watch this guy, it's probably going into the river. As we know, he hit 2 and beat the Reds on Sunday.

I'll be back sometime in June.

btw, the crowd that was there was pretty into it, but where was everyone? 19 thousand for a Sunday afternoon game against Philly when the Reds are only 1 game out? I highly doubt that 19k actually showed up. The weather wasn't that bad and was actually nice for most of the game.
    19k?????? What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Time to roll up the sidewalks and retool for next year. But, man, are Cast and Krivsky going to get it in the earhole when they white-flag this season. Honestly, an atrocious start while Krivsky worked behind the scenes would have been better for Cast/Kriv politically. Now that the team has been thrust into the limelight, the collapse is going to be perceived by the layman fan as another capitulation. It's a weird spot for them to be in, that's for sure--particularly if they want the fans to buy season tickets this winter. They're going to suffer from a severe case of the Boy Who Cried Wolf with the fans.
    How would they retool? There are only three trade commodities that will bring back decent talent, IMO; Dunn, Kearns and Griffey.

Griffey has a no-trade, and Kearns is still on the cheap and is the best defensive OF the Reds have. So unless you're advocating trading Dunn, I'm not sure what you mean by retooling? Other 'tradeables' include Freel, Hatteburg, a catcher, Aurila, Weathers, Merker (DL), and Milton (there'd be a parade in Cincy if WK could deal off that contract) -- none of them would bring back a ton of talent, nor would dealing any be viewed as running up the white flag.

Turn Off Ads?