Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sad news, Dan Ross has died

Sad news, Dan Ross has died

Just heard on ESPN radio. He went jogging last night, collapsed and died afterwards. He was only 49. For those who don't know, Ross was a TE for the Bengals who set the record for most catches in a Super Bowl (since tied) when the Bengals played the 49ers the first time in Super Bowl XVI.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sad news, Dan Ross has died

Man, oh, man. I do hate to hear that. He was a good one in the early 80s. IIRC he left the Bengals for the USFL, and then briefly returned to the Bengals when the USFL folded. I have always been proud that a Bengal had a place in the Super Bowl record books.

Ex-Bengal Ross dies at 49
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    HAVERHILL, Mass. – Dan Ross, who set a record for the most receptions in a Super Bowl while playing for the Cincinnati Bengals, has died. He was 49.

Ross collapsed at his home in Atkinson, N.H., shortly after returning from a jog Tuesday evening. He was taken to Merrimack Valley Hospital in Haverhill, where he died, the Boston Herald reported Wednesday, citing a family member.

Cincinnati took Ross with the 30th pick overall in the 1979 draft and he spent parts of six seasons with the Bengals. His best season came in 1981 when he set career highs with 71 catches, 910 yards and five touchdowns while helping the Bengals to their first AFC championship.

Ross made a Super Bowl-record 11 catches for 104 yards and two touchdowns in the Bengals’ 26-21 loss to the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XVI. Jerry Rice and Deion Branch have since tied the mark.

Ironically, Ross told the Enquirer after that game that he felt nervous and overwhelmed when he took the field in Detroit.

“I personally felt tense and nervous,” Ross said. “It was just like stage fright. It took a while for us to get used to it and to get it out of our system. I was in awe of everything. When we first came out, I was hyperventilating. I couldn’t breathe. When we walked on the field, it finally hit me where we were – in the Super Bowl.”

Ross had a total 263 receptions for 3,204 yards and 16 TDs with the Bengals. He also played for the Seattle Seahawks and finished his career in 1986 with the Green Bay Packers. Ross played in the USFL for the New Orleans/Portland Breakers from 1984-85.

A 1979 graduate of Northeastern, Ross still holds the school record for receptions in a season with 68 and is second on the school’s all-time list in both career receptions and receiving yards.

He was elected to the College Hall of Fame in 2004.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Too bad. He was a good Bengal.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Sad news. Rest in peace, Dan.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Sad news. As a Steeler fan he was definitely one of those guys you hated to see on Sundays.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

A real shame. The guy looked like he was in great shape, at least based on this picture from 2004. You just never know.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1972670
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

That is so sad!

Turn Off Ads?