Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redsmetz

Re: Redsmetz

Awesome, you have to have a lot more energy and you'll feel it in the summer

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That's great RM! What's your secret for the weight loss? A doctor told me if I could get down to around 200 lbs. I may not have diabetes. Those last 15 pesky pounds have been hard to shed.
    I suppose you will have to use stuffing now to play Santa Claus?
    I think I shared this in the weight loss thread. I did several things.

First, I had doing a ton of compulsive eating, essentially extra meals between meals: breakfast sandwiches, hash browns, cheese burgers, coneys, donuts, etc. Just horrible stuff. I cut that stuff out completely.

My insurance company paid for some nutrition counseling and they basically focused on carbs since I was pre-diabetic. I now consume about 2/3 of the daily recommend allowance of carbs, basically 60 grams per meal and 15 grams per snack time (essentially midway between meals). And I'm watching my portions. I used to go to parties and I'd snarf down everything in sight. Meals, I'd pile it on, etc. Now I'm watching it much more. But the biggest thing has been watching the carbs; not a "no carb" diet, but very reduced.

Finally, I've continued with the exercising I had been doing, but now my wife & I are trying to squeeze in other times when we can - after work, walking in Spring Grove Cemetery or elsewhere, or even just around the neighborhood.

WOY, it feels great. When I was just out of high school, I worked in a factory toting 50 lbs. bags of sugar and such. Obviously, that's what I have been carrying around my middle. So much more energy and stamina. I'm hopeful I'll be able to maintain this new lifestyle.

One note in a wordy response, when I went to the nutritionist, I came home just absolutely depressed that I couldn't do this. But I didn't want to go down the path of diabetes, having had an aunt and an uncle who lost legs to that disease and knew I had the power to avoid. It's taken a lot of work to change the compulsive eating I was doing. I'm pretty thankful.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I work in the health care industry in the software side, a lot of what we are implementing online are toolsets to give the consumer a chance to check their health and habits online with HRA's and PHR's (Health Risk Assessments and Personal Health Records.)

Businesses like Healthyroads and Healthwise have robust tools that allow you to track your health and make decisions about the future of your health. Every Insurance agency is clamoring to have you use these tools, even employing paybacks in the form of goods to get you to participate. Most online accounts have at least an HRA, probably a good idea for everyone to try and use them if they are available.

Thanks RM. I need to cut back on carbs the most. I'm sure I eat too much of those. Snacking at night is a problem too. I do really well during the day but at night is a different story. I think I get plenty of exercise. I have 7 or 8 minute walk to my bustop from my home. Then after I get off the subway I have a good 5 block walk to my workplace that takes about 12 minutes. So I am getting about 40 minutes or so of walking a day. I'm sure if I didn't do that my weight and diabetes would be far worse.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

My son got married yesterday and when we got home I felt like wearing my brand new 1932 replica Reds hat which my wife gave me for my birthday. My daughter's boyfriend said I looked like a first round draft pick. Smart lad.

“In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?