Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Premium Content

Re: Baseball America Premium Content

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    There's nothing wrong with posting facts. If BA says a guy is 6'4, 225 pounds, throws a 90-92 fastball, a solid curve, and a developing changeup, you can pretty much say that as long as you don't copy-paste. Posting opinions and exclusive material is where things get dicey.

I think the scouting reports (IN ALL CAPS LIKE DEATH IN A TERRY PRATCHETT BOOK) are available to everyone and okay to post.
    As long as its free.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    Please do not post any premium content from Baseball America. We have been contacted by their attorneys regarding the posting of their Top Draft Prospects list, which was immediately removed from our site. As RedsZone does not have prominent attorneys on retainer , I'd rather not get involved with theirs. Thank you.
    Wow, really? Did they say how they found out about it? Is RedsZone that much in the public eye?

I wonder if they have their "minions" out there searching baseball's team message boards looking for copyright infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by GriffeyFan
    Wow, really? Did they say how they found out about it? Is RedsZone that much in the public eye?

I wonder if they have their "minions" out there searching baseball's team message boards looking for copyright infringement.
    RedsZone is listed fairly early in most search engine results.

Quote Originally Posted by GriffeyFan

Ya know, when you are the best at what you are, well, people kick down the doors and party with you.

It's part of the whole thang.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

You can wipe your ass with that rag

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Never wiped the rump with it, but it has provided countless hours of toidy reading.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As long as its free.
    even if the content is free, the author should be acknowledged......

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    RedsZone is listed fairly early in most search engine results.

Showoff!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    even if the content is free, the author should be acknowledged......

Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

What about "fair use"? Copyright law allows use of a small portion of copyrighted material, with or without author's permission, I believe.....the problem is that it can take a court to determine if the use was 'fair'....

See this site for more on fair use....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure how I didn't notice this thread before.

What's the ruling on posting the reports from BP sortable statistical reports? They are premium content, however they are simply a reporting of the facts (ie. VORP, RAP, OBP, etc).

For example, two players are being discussed, you could do a custom stat report on BP, copy and paste the comparison numbers to a post and use that as general information for the board or ammo for your agrument.

Certinally don't want to make anyone's life more difficult so if it's a no-no I'll stop doing it.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-15-2007 at 03:59 PM.

If it's information you can get anywhere, I'd say there is no real issue with. They don't own stats, nor do they editorialize them in their presentation. So if you use their 'system' to look up the stats, its still not their content. Their system is the premium feature there, not the information.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

There is now a group called Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA). CCIA, whose members include major tech players like Google, Microsoft and Yahoo, have launched a campaign fighting "copyright abuse", whcih they define as overzealous limitations on copyrighted material. This consortium emphasizes that 'fair use', the reasonable use of a portion of a copyrighted item, must be defended.

HERE is a link to an article about this campaign, and HERE is a link to this group's web site.

Next time RedsZone gets a threatening letter from Baseball America, we should sick these boys on 'em! There is a form on the second website linked above to report copyright 'abuse'. ...LOL.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    There is now a group called Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA). CCIA, whose members include major tech players like Google, Microsoft and Yahoo, have launched a campaign fighting "copyright abuse", whcih they define as overzealous limitations on copyrighted material. This consortium emphasizes that 'fair use', the reasonable use of a portion of a copyrighted item, must be defended.

HERE is a link to an article about this campaign, and HERE is a link to this group's web site.

Next time RedsZone gets a threatening letter from Baseball America, we should sick these boys on 'em! There is a form on the second website linked above to report copyright 'abuse'. ...LOL.
    Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo would not defend what posters were doing here. It's hard to argue 'fair use' when certain posters were copy/pasting entire articles from paid sites.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?