Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bengals draft pick charged with theft

Bengals draft pick charged with theft

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2464554

Two former Florida State football players have been charged with stealing electronic equipment worth approximately $1,700 from the home of a current player, Tallahassee Police told ESPN on Wednesday.

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker A.J. Nicholson and former wide receiver Fred Rouse, who was dismissed by coach Bobby Bowden at the end of last season for detrimental conduct, are charged with burglarizing the Tallahassee home of current Florida State running back Lorenzo Booker on May 20 or 21.

Rouse confessed his involvement to authorities on May 28, according to police. Rouse was arrested and charged with three felonies: burglary of a dwelling, grand theft and unrelated possessions of a controlled substance without a prescription, which was ecstasy. Rouse has been released on bond.

A warrant is out for the arrest of Nicholson, who faces felony charges of burglary of a dwelling and grand theft and criminal mischief, which is a misdemeanor.

"Obviously, Lorenzo's not really happy that his former teammates, Rouse and Nicholson, did this," Tallahassee Police Public Information Officer John Newland said. "This incident occurred May 20 and A.J. was drafted in April. You knew you were leaving. Why would you put yourself through this? It's just really unfortunate."

A police source said that among the items investigators found at Booker's home was a wide receivers glove with "1," Rouse's former jersey number, stitched into the inside of it. The glove had been left under a color television that had been thrown onto the floor.

Entrance to the home, police said, was made by breaking a rear window. In gaining entry, the suspects appeared to cut themselves as they left blood there and on one of Bookers' roommate's sheets. Police later found drops of blood at the exterior of the home of Nicholson's girlfriend.

In a sworn, taped interview on May 28, Rouse said Nicholson entered the home and carried out two portable stereos, a DVD player and a pair of headphones. Rouse also said Nicholson had sustained a substantial cut on a finger.

Nicholson, who was accused of a sexual assault in Miami and sent home from the Orange Bowl, was selected by the Bengals in the fifth round. Nicholson, who has pleaded no contest to a DUI arrest and had another incident with Tallahassee police that led to dropped charges of resisting arrest, has not been charged in the sexual assault case.

Rouse, one of the nation's top freshman prospects last season, and a native of Tallahassee, had only six catches for 114 yards and one touchdown. Rouse also returned 11 punts for 97 yards and six kickoffs for 107 yards.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals draft pick charged with theft

OK, I stuck up for this pick while the Bengals were getting roasted by the national pundits. I think they are going to have to reassess their position toward taking on problem children.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

A guy with that kind of talent is always worth a flyer in the 5th round IMO.

Upside potential is huge.

Downside risk: a wasted 5th round pick.

I still like the pick.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Good golly!! We're turning into Baltimore West.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable

I still like the pick.
    This is the slow "gamer" LBer we're talking about, even his talent was a bit of a reach. I do not promote only drafting choir boys, since some are indeed shedding their bad reps (Odell Thurman), while others continue to show themselves little more than thugs (Henry, Nicholson). I guess 1 for 3 is good in baseball. I'm not sure with draftpicks.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Stealing from a team mate? sad.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by max venable

I still like the pick.
    maybe they thought he would look good in stripes

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

From my perspective (Florida State grad), the only good thing about this is that they were already gone.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?