Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    A better option IMO for the rep system would be to turn the viewing of the number off and also the green bars, nobody is going to get upset about a number they can't see, then the system will have to be used the way it was intended, to give reps for good posts and negs for bad ones, no "Well lemme rep him over 200" because nobody will have any idea where everyone is at.

Just a thought.
    I think that's an excellent idea.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

A better option IMO for the rep system would be to turn the viewing of the number off and also the green bars, nobody is going to get upset about a number they can't see, then the system will have to be used the way it was intended, to give reps for good posts and negs for bad ones, no "Well lemme rep him over 200" because nobody will have any idea where everyone is at.

Just a thought.
    I was thinking of that, as well. I don't have a problem with it.

Just a thought.
    I agree with that idea too. It would still allow people to give positive or negative rep but it would cut out arguing about rep numbers or people asking for rep. I would also make it more likely a person got over 200 from good posts not from people trying to help them make the number.

The biggest problem with Redszone that I see is a blatant lack of respect for peoples opinions by many. Even some of the "best" posters on this board do it all the time. There is a lot of ingorance and "hes teh SuXXXX!!" type posts, but there is also a plethora of egotistical posters who think they are always right because of how they interpret and use certain stats, or because a certain player has a bad stretch of AB's or games.

I made a claim to leave Redszone for a while, and to be honest it has improved a little over the last week. If it goes back to the way it was though, I'll be looking elsewhere for my internet baseball fix.

As far as the rep system goes, I've never once cared about it. I rarely give or recieve rep points. I'm not against it, but I don't see the point of it.

If you want to elimanate the giving rep out only based on who is below 200 (of which I am guilty)do what krono is suggesting. Thats a good idea to squash that. I now would like say that I think this board is over moderated, is being called a stathead really offensive? Is talking about the Dixie Chicks not wanting certian people to buy their cd political? I really enjoy coming here and reading the posts but am dissappointed that the non-baseball board has become reduced to whats for dinner and who is you favorite band threads. When any good discussion starts the mods come in a close it, its just over done. That being said I like the board and enjoy coming here but I have noticed like everyone else how this board has gone down in quality as of late and I would love to see less moderation.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I dont care about how many posts I have made, or Rep points system. I love this forum and visit it several times a day. I love to read the comments about the Reds. It also helps me with info that I may not know about the REDS. I just want to thank you for letting me post my opinions, and comments.
    This is the best Reds forums out there!!!

I like Raisors idea of a 'been there done that' forum.

On the Phillies board, one of the mods developed a permanent 'sticky' post that goes over a lot of the 'been there, done that' issues that pop up. There, it is generally "Bobby Abreu is unclutch," "Abreu is lazy," or "Abreu strikes out too much." The mod uses past discussions on the board as well as off-site articles in order to refute many of these misconceptions. Basically, the thread allows newcomers who may not be familiar with the site an opportunity to get an overview of how the board is run and what type of discussions go on in sort of a one-stop shopping environment -- without having to use the search feature in order to find out if a topic has been discussed at length before. I don't know if something like that could be beneficial here, to just have one thread that reviews all of the "Dunn Ks too much" threads, etc. that have been sort of beaten to death. It's not supposed to eliminate discussion on those topics, but it just provides information as to what has been previously discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    I agree with that idea too. It would still allow people to give positive or negative rep but it would cut out arguing about rep numbers or people asking for rep. I would also make it more likely a person got over 200 from good posts not from people trying to help them make the number.
    I think this is a good idea, except if people are friends they will just let the other person know where they are and how many points they need.

The one thing I have noticed lately is that there are a lot of new joiners on the board and if someone makes a post on a "touchy" subject (i.e., Dunn's BA, Griffey's fielding range, etc) they get absolutely pounded by some members with stats about Dunn's OBP and the like. For all of the more seasoned posters on the board, people have the right to give more value to one statistic over another. So if someone complains about Dunn's batting average, they are complaining about his BA and not his OBP. I've seen some posters get obliterated b/c of discussions like this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we are all on here to talk about the Reds. But when the "elder statesmen" of the board start complaining about that everyone is harping on the fact that Dunn's average is awful, someone else can turn around and say that Dunn's OBP is being harped on as well.

PS: I'm not generalizing about newer posters vs. ORG members, but it just appears to me that it happens that way most often.

PPS: I'm not trying to start something on the beaten to death Dunn topic, but I thought that was most relevant.

Think before you post.
    Think before you rep.
    Don't be scared of those with large post/rep numbers.
    Don't automatically think those with small post/rep numbers are ignorant.
    Treat others as you with to be treated.
    If you don't like it, don't look at it, don't post it.
    Drama is for the soap operas.
    Personal arguments have no business on the forums - this is what the PM feature is for.
    There is no such this as Fight Clu..oh...wrong list.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    I think this is a good idea, except if people are friends they will just let the other person know where they are and how many points they need.

The one thing I have noticed lately is that there are a lot of new joiners on the board and if someone makes a post on a "touchy" subject (i.e., Dunn's BA, Griffey's fielding range, etc) they get absolutely pounded by some members with stats about Dunn's OBP and the like. For all of the more seasoned posters on the board, people have the right to give more value to one statistic over another. So if someone complains about Dunn's batting average, they are complaining about his BA and not his OBP. I've seen some posters get obliterated b/c of discussions like this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we are all on here to talk about the Reds. But when the "elder statesmen" of the board start complaining about that everyone is harping on the fact that Dunn's average is awful, someone else can turn around and say that Dunn's OBP is being harped on as well.

PS: I'm not generalizing about newer posters vs. ORG members, but it just appears to me that it happens that way most often.

PPS: I'm not trying to start something on the beaten to death Dunn topic, but I thought that was most relevant.
    Yes, and normally it is by the same few posters that bring up his OBP every single time. If somebody is complainign about his BA or BA with RISP, they don't want to hear about his OPS. Some people may think it is stupid to care about batting average, but people do care about it. And baseball isn't all about stats, sometimes you have to go off of what you see with your owns eyes. Most of the time on this board, if you don't have stats to back up your opinon you're not allowed to have one.

A few weeks back I was part of the problem of the board, but since then I think I have cooled out. Sometimes you just need to agree to disagree.

I really don't know what needs to be done, but hiding the rep points isn't a bad start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    I don't think there is ever a good reason for a rep point system. I've not ever seen it work effectively on any other forum, anywhere. It always seems to isolate posters, kill any notion of community spirit.
    I didn't care for it initially, but understand that the reputation system was a response to a problem -- pretty much the same problem that led to the creation of Redszone in the first place. If Redszone had kept going down the same road, Boss and GIK may well have said the heck with it.

I've been through that. There's a college sports site I've worked with for years. After a long growth period, it went "network," then the owner got fed up and decided it wasn't worth it. We re-opened the original site and make no apologies for the fact that the site still exists for the sake of preserving a community, and anyone who can't get along with the clique is sent packing. Redszone is more welcoming by comparison.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I like the confidential rep point totals and dead horse forum ideas. Though I think mods need to be clear on what the dead horses are and that individual posts should be moved to the dead horse forum when a mod thinks it's appropriate.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

i have been a reds fan since i was a little kid...I like this website--nice to have a place to celebrate victories,endure losses,etc..i have never been that big into the rep points(as is obvious by my total)..but to have someone out there neg you because i spelled anyone "any1" to save space..just petty beyond words...almost wish there was a separate forum on here for people who didnt care about points at all

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN
    but to have someone out there neg you because i spelled anyone "any1" to save space..
    People who neg people for stuff like that should not be allowed to hand out negs. That's beyond ridiculous. That's not what the rep. system is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    People who neg people for stuff like that should not be allowed to hand out negs. That's beyond ridiculous. That's not what the rep. system is about.
    I got negged for pointing out correct stats before.

That was fun.

Don't give me rep points back, but I was just pointing out flaws in the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?