Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

for what it is worth, Jim Callis got all 15 of the 1st picks right last year....

2. Turn Off Ads?

As these reports about Miller dropping at the last second continue to filter in, all I can say is that some smart team won't participate in that madness and I firmly hope it's the Reds.

These latest projections seem to assume the D-Backs are the first team on the board willing to actively work in their own best interest.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Miller slide has begun eh?

I think it will be amazing if the Dbacks manage to get the best player in the draft for three straight seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I trust these guys to make a reasonable decision and would be ok with Stubbs. Unfortunate that Reds, with all their losing seasons, don't have a top 3 pick. They did one year, but we all know what happened then. . . .
    If Stubbs is all he's hyped up to be (I don't know if he is), I wouldn't be upset with the Reds taking him #1 either. I know we need pitching, but we have very few position players in the minors. We've been spoiled the last 10 years by always having solid position players, but I think we are going to see a draught (thanks to poor drafting at the end of the Bowden era and the entire DanO era).

Basically, we need everything in the farm. The Reds should truly be willing to take the best player available, even though they need pitching.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Originally posted bye Gallen5862
    I would grab Miller at number 8 if he is available. I would be estatic to draft Joba Chamberlain in the second round.

I'm with you Gallen that could be a hiest of epic proportions.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Basically, we need everything in the farm. The Reds should truly be willing to take the best player available, even though they need pitching.
    I won't argue with that however, if current projections hold true, Andrew Miller would be the best player on the board at the Reds pick.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    Originally posted bye Gallen5862

I'm with you Gallen that could be a hiest of epic proportions.
    Some teams have put major red flags next to Joba's name b/c of a potential "serious arm injury".

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    If Stubbs is all he's hyped up to be (I don't know if he is), I wouldn't be upset with the Reds taking him #1 either. I know we need pitching, but we have very few position players in the minors. We've been spoiled the last 10 years by always having solid position players, but I think we are going to see a draught (thanks to poor drafting at the end of the Bowden era and the entire DanO era).

I don't mind a position play either, but not an outfielder. 2 of our top prospects (Bruce and Deno) are outfielders, and Dunn and Kearns are both only 26.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I have an easy solution to the problem, and that is MLB pooling resources to fund wood bats for college programs. The dough they spend to do so could theoretically be saved in bonuses given to aluminum bat wonders that flame when they go to wood.
    Great idea, but you've got the Lindners and Pollards and Lorias of the world that would be far too cheap to go along with that.

I guess as long as everyone has the same disadvantage of guessing which college hitters will adjust to wood, it's ok as is.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Here is the latest word from the BA "FREE" draft day blog

Late Word From The Top
    11:38 a.m.: Multiple sources are confirming that the Royals, as Baseball America has projected, will take Fort Worth Cats righthander Luke Hochevar with the No. 1 choice at 1 p.m. ET. The Dodgers, who pick No. 7, are believed to be zeroing in on Motlow State (Tenn.) CC righthander Bryan Morris. It's possible Morris would be available when Los Angeles picks next at No. 26. But the Dodgers could lose him to the Braves at No. 24 or the Angels at No. 25, and don't want to risk it.
    --Jim Callis

how long does each team have to pick?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I don't mind a position play either, but not an outfielder. 2 of our top prospects (Bruce and Deno) are outfielders, and Dunn and Kearns are both only 26.
    First, the Reds are really devoid of positional talent in the minors so if an outfield bat is the best player in their minds then they should grab him. Injuries, trades, etc can always get exceptional players onto the field.

That much being said, I am not sold on Stubbs - here is the Scouts, inc. write up on him (by Keith Law, who worked for the Jays for awhile):

16. Drew Stubbs, CF, University of Texas

Year Team AVG OBP SLG AB H 2B 3B HR BB SO SB
    2006 Texas .342 .439 .580 243 83 14 4 12 41 60 26
    2006 Team USA .304 .385 .370 46 14 3 0 0 6 14 1
    2005 Texas .311 .384 .527 283 88 20 4 11 32 71 32

Stubbs is Longoria's primary competition for the spot of top collegiate position player, and where the two sit on various draft boards depends on the various organizations' philosophies. While performance analysis would put Longoria in front, a more traditional, tools-oriented approach would put Stubbs far above Longoria. Stubbs is a well-above average runner and an outstanding defensive center fielder, two things generally lacking in this year's pool of collegiate hitters. However, Stubbs' flaws are substantial -- his raw power shows up in BP, but not as often in games; and he swings and misses far too often to project him to hit for any kind of average, striking out 71 times as a sophomore and 53 times as a junior. As a plus defensive player at a position on the left end of the defensive spectrum, Stubbs is likely to go in the top 20 picks, but I think there's a significant chance that he doesn't hit enough to play every day in the majors.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I won't argue with that however, if current projections hold true, Andrew Miller would be the best player on the board at the Reds pick.
    I agree.. I was assuming Stubbs was the best available in the hypothetical arguement above. Let's get the best guy we can.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    The Miller slide has begun eh?

I think it will be amazing if the Dbacks manage to get the best player in the draft for three straight seasons.
    Agreed. It's almost like if the #1 team passes on him, the group that follows takes it as permission that they can do the same.

My take is that if the Reds had the #1 pick, they'd be crazy to spend it on anyone but Andrew Miller, meaning that passing on him at #8 would only be crazier.

As Puffy posted in another thread, not only is Miller a giant southpaw with immense stuff (hard to hit, high K rate), 80% of his balls-in-play outs are grounders. This kid is the prototype for what the Reds should want in a pitcher.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

is the draft today or tomorrow?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Turn Off Ads?