Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: An informal poll

I know what I'll be doing if they strike August 30th. Can you sing, "Are you Ready for some football?!"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Let the players strike. They'll only be shooting themselves in the foot. And then they can all sit around and scratch their heads maybe nexy year when so many seats are empty.

The owners may pay therir salaries, but where do owners count on their revenue coming from?

gac's post summed up my feelings exactly. i wasn't able to express them because this conversation ruffled my feathers too much.

i went to the game last night and had a great time. it made me sad to think that was it for the year, maybe more. i love this game, i love this team. i don't know if i can support this any longer though if they do go on strike. will i come back? maybe slowly and eventually, but i honestly don't know.

fans do matter. fans do care. i wish the players and owners (because i am not singling out either party) would realize that.

cbus, if you are able to go back, that's great. (by the way...on the ups thing, they lost 8% volume initially after the strike and are down 5% across the board. and when they had their contract up this summer, people started jumping ship to make sure their packages would get to where they were going)

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar
    Mckenzie, ok, but what if there was no fedex or US mail, then what would people have done? started delivering packages themselves? what competition does baseball have? (and dont even say MLS, WUSA, or WNBA,)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    If they go on strike, I'm done forever. I will not attend another game or buy any MLB merchandise.

If they went on strike and the Reds happened to be in first place AGAIN, a baseball game would never be allowed on any of my televisions in my house.... EVER!

My son can play Lacrosse for all I care, and I HATE Lacrosse.

I have so many friends that have lost their jobs, including a family member that happened to have the bad luck of working for Arthur Anderson. My company has been through 6 layoffs in the past year. Our organization cut 60%. The stock market sucks, 401K's are worth less than 5 years ago, people are forced to hold off on their retirements for another 10 years while they struggle to find a decent job other than flipping burgers or delivering pizza.

Meanwhile our country struggles to get over the tragedy of 9-11.

And these asses think they're going to go on strike AGAIN?!?!?

Cincinnati is a purest baseball town. They think attendance is bad now? Well the true, diehard baseball fans in this town will find something else to do. It will kill them, but they will.

And I will.

Go Bungals!

The NFL looks better and better every day.

what competition does baseball have?
    It's an entertainment, remember? Whatever other entertainment people want to spend their money on.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Paul Daugherty's take

Baseball knows fans will return

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the ballplayers walk Aug. 30, you're right behind them. They'll never get another nickel outta you, those overpaid millionaires and their civic-blackmailing owners. This time, you mean it.

Uh-huh.

We'd love to have that power. It might force the two sides to consider their customers, which would be different. Only, we don't have the stomach for it. Never have. If everyone who said in 1994 they'd never go to another game actually followed through, the average crowd today would fit in a VW bus.

Baseball fans are the angry parent who threatens to kick a miscreant teen-ager out of the house the next time they bust curfew. They are the bully on the playground who draws the line in the dirt, then re-draws it every time it's crossed.

Here's the reality behind the rhetoric. Here is what baseball has banked on, literally, for the last 30 years:

If you're a fan, you won't go away. Not for good. You always come back.

Reds fans wearing their colors are Alex Wamsley, 14 (left) and Michael Purdy, 16, from Wheelersburg, Ohio.
    (Michael E. Keating photo)
    | ZOOM |
    A recent study authored by two college professors addressed the effects of the 1981 and '94 walkouts. David Berri and Martin Schmidt write, “Neither strike has had a lasting effect on attendance ... Recovery occurs almost immediately.”

You always come back. It might take longer in some places, Cincinnati being one. The Reds averaged 31,628 in 60 games before the '94 strike; in '95, they got 25,882. But in 2000, they drew more people than in any year but 1976.

This isn't to say baseball doesn't have issues. But fan revolt owing to labor unrest isn't one of them. Fans are sheep. I say that as a fan.

We put up with anything: strikes, lockouts, new-stadium blackmail, decades of losing, $54 tickets for football games in August. We condone all sorts of behavior: drug use, spouse abuse, steroids, grade-fixing. Whatever. Just entertain us.

Baseball depends on our ability to take a punch. Baseball has never considered the impact its labor actions have on fans because it's never had to. We always come back.

Ba-a-a-a-h.

We can't even organize a decent one-day boycott. Just this month, two national efforts promoting a single-game stay-away flopped. Even with attendance down 6 percent, there is no shortage of people paying to watch baseball. On Saturday, 40,658 bitter people watched the A's in Oakland. More than 46,000 fans, no doubt equally miserable, filled Safeco Field in Seattle.

Minnesota had 36,000 in the Metrodome to watch Pedro Martinez and the Red Sox, even as another 40,000 people attended the PGA Championship in nearby Chaska.

A strike won't kill baseball. Soccer might. Baseball's at-a-crawl pace might. Its past-our-bedtime postseason might. Its insistence on godding-up its past at the expense of its never-better present could do it. So could its chronic pessimism and the absolute rule of King George in New York. Those knives have cut the game for years.

But a walkout won't occasion the apocalypse. We'll come back when they do.

Ba-a-a-h.

I believe he just called us sheep! ..... and you know what? He's probably right! Even I admit, I can't stay angry for long.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    Yea, Philip Morris counted on the fact that I couldn't quit smoking too...and that was a physical addiction. Sayonara strikers!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Personally speaking, if they go on strike, it will be when the Browns left Cleveland.

I used to be a huge Browns fan, as big or maybe even bigger than a Reds fan (and that's saying something).

I mean, I started as a Browns fan back in the late 50-'s, Jimmy Brown, Leroy Kelley, Frank Ryan, Brian Sipe, Greg Pruitt, Berney Kosar, the whole 9 yards. We would make the pilgramage from Cincy to Cleveland 3-4 times a year, every year, sit in the Dawg Pound, wear stupid masks, wear my Clay Matthews jersey, etc. I subscribed to Browns News Illustrated. Lou Groza was my dad's insurance guy. Lived in Berea from ages 5-12 and my friends and I would go be ball boys at their practices. I *loved* the Browns. After The Drive and The Fumble I was disconsolate for weeks. Would plan my whole weekend around the Browns game since it had priority over everything. My greatest fear was when my son was due Jan. 30, 1988 and that was real close to Siper Bowl time and the Browns had a chance. I seriously considered naming him Bernie.

Modell moved the team. Not to be dramatic, but something inside of me broke. And the opposite of love is not hate, but apathy.

I haven't been back to another NFL game and probably never will. I'll watch a game on TV every so often but only when I've got nothing else to do (which is seldom). Besides Tim Couch, I can't tell you who else is on the Browns. They permanently (and I mean *forever*) lost me as a fan. Oh, I tried to revive my interest when the New Browns started, but it just wasn't the same and it just didn't stick. It was sad for a while but I got over it. And I discovered Sunday afternoons in the fall are a nice time to take hikes with the family.

MLB goes on strike and loses the postseason, well, that'll be it for me. I can endure a few days, but if they lose the season on me, I just won't care anymore. The Reds will be like the Browns, check the score on Monday AM and say "hmmm, they lost, whats the weather going to be".

I'm kind of a mix of many of your opinions. The biggest thought in my mind right now though is "I'm not sure what I'll do". The last strike made me lose a good deal of interest, that actually lessened over time (i.e. I regained some interest up to it's present level of "pretty darn high"!).

For me, college sports is still the best thing going, but I'd miss the Reds and the "fabric-of-our-lives"-ness of baseball. Up through high school, my Mom and Dad and I spent our annual vacation going to Cincinnati for a weekend of Reds baseball. We were not rich by any means, so this was a big thing for us. Even after Dad died, Mom and I still took our main vacation with the Reds travels mapping our course. The game was ALWAYS on the radio (WIMA Lima) and to this day still is in Mom's house. I played baseball my whole life. It is a big part of me, or at least who I was. I would hate to not have that, but I am also a lot more now. I am a husband and a father. I'd love to share with my little girl the joys I got from baseball, if only because I would like her to understand how to appreciate something that isn't solid "in-your-face" entertainment all the time, but a timeless game of battles-within-the-battle. There will be other ways to help her acquire this type of appreciation of things, but 'd like baseball to be available to help wioth it since it was a part of my life. But if not, we'll get into something else and be just fine.

I don't go to more than 1 or 2 games a year. A strike would bring that down to zero for a little while just like the last one did. Not really trying to teach anyone anything here, just a result of how I would feel. Besides that, MLB gets very little of my money. I listen to games on the radio or watch what I can on our standard cable channels much like creek said (altho' I consider getting DirectTV at times, just don't want to get hooked on another monthly expense right now). A large part of what remains attractive to me about baseball is that I can follow it very closely quite cheaply. I would just have a hard time deciding to spend my time and money on a sport that is not always "there for me" so to speak, when I have other viable options for my entertainment/recreational dollar and time.

It is a very individual decision. I can understand many views on the subject. To say someone's view on this is wrong or ridiculous is really the ridiculous statement. Many great fans will be turned away from the game, and of course many will stick with it as well. I don't think a person's reaction to this is a barometer that measures how true a fan that person is.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I also meanto to add that I was in nearly the exact same position as Roy, though not quite the fanatic he was with the Browns. I new every player, every single player on the Brows roster. Knew their background, strengths/weaknesses, etc. Bernie Kosar was my favorite player of any sport at any time save for Tony Perez. Then they left. Just like that, no Browns. I have tried and tried to get back into it. NFL is a great entertaining sport. But I have not been able to come close to the same passion that I had before the exodus (Bob Marley singing in the background ). I still try, but they just seem to have lost me. If I lived IN Cleveland maybe I'd be back at full force, but as it is, I am no where close to that level yet.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I'll be back as soon as they yell "play ball".

The summers are too long & enjoyable to try & pass the time with something wretched like NASCAR, golf, WNBA, or Arena Football.

Do I think both sides are being childish immature cry-baby idiots? Yep.

But the day I can't get geeked about pitchers & catchers reporting, Opening Day, pouring over daily boxscores, or a pennant chase is the day that someone needs to put me 6 feet under.

Turn Off Ads?