Turn Off Ads?
Page 81 of 83 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1235

Thread: 7-5 vs Brew Crew -- NEED A WIN!!

Re: 7-5 vs Brew Crew -- NEED A WIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Hey the pen gave up only 3 ER in 6 innings pitched (never mind the extras that would have scored in the 13th -- but details).

I'm officially declaring this Herculian team effort a "quality finish"
    it was more the timing than the quantity this evening

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Excellent observation, Caveat. I'm not at all surprised by any of it. This team has mounted comeback after comeback this season but simply can't overcome bad pitching. Same as it ever was.

But hey, the guys responsible for said bad pitching have been given extensions so I guess it's all good?
    Narron and Krivsky aren't responsible for the pitching, O'Brien in.

Give Wayne a full offseason and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Turn him around to what? More like finally get something out of him.
    They made Ponson into a decent pitcher and he was crap the last few years. I do not know how they do it but they always seem to do it. I would not want him on the Reds cause I do not think they can improve him but if anyone can do it, StL can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Excellent observation, Caveat. I'm not at all surprised by any of it. This team has mounted comeback after comeback this season but simply can't overcome bad pitching. Same as it ever was.

But hey, the guys responsible for said bad pitching have been given extensions so I guess it's all good?
    I did note the Twins took off over the last month after they got rid of their anchors(Castro, Batista, White, etc) and went with the young guys. I wonder if the Reds could learn anything from that.

Maybe the Reds will bring up Rick Asadoorian?
    Hes a outfielder that the Lookouts just used in the 13th inning.

1 inning, 1 Hit, 0 Runs, 0 Walks, 3 Strike outs.

Maybe Encarnacion will hide Brad Salmon in his luggage when he returns to the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    What?
    Not sure what you mean by "What?".

Jerry Narron and Wayne Krivsky are responsible for the current constitution of the rotation and bullpen.

Don't particularly care how much time they've had to get things in order. But I do care about what they've done with the time they've had.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I did note the Twins took off over the last month after they got rid of their anchors(Castro, Batista, White, etc) and went with the young guys. I wonder if the Reds could learn anything from that.
    Nope. Not under the present circumstances. Of course, this may be all part of a master plan I'm not aware of. If it is, I hope somebody tells us. This is pretty depressing.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    They made Ponson into a decent pitcher and he was crap the last few years. I do not know how they do it but they always seem to do it. I would not want him on the Reds cause I do not think they can improve him but if anyone can do it, StL can.
    Ponson had a few good outings early, but now sports a 5.60 ERA and a 1.64 WHIP. He's till Ponson.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Maybe the Reds will bring up Rick Asadoorian?
    Hes a outfielder that the Lookouts just used in the 13th inning.

1 inning, 1 Hit, 0 Runs, 0 Walks, 3 Strike outs.

Maybe Encarnacion will hide Brad Salmon in his luggage when he returns to the Reds?

Make that 2 Innings. 2 hits, 0 Runs, 0 walks and 5 strike outs.

Did he use to be a pitcher or something?

Last edited by CTA513; 07-06-2006 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    I hear the fear in your keystrokes.

I think Seattles' bullpens of 1997-99 compare to this one.
    Griffey must be loving it....the memories.

All that is missing is Lou blowing a gasket....but even he just gave up and played dead after a while. This team looks dead even when it's winning sometimes.
    Don't forget Jose Cruz JR for Paul Spoljaric and Mike Timlin.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Yeah. Imagine that. Terry Ryan was forced to start taking chances and comes out ahead while Wayne Krivsky sits in his comfort zone and ends up with a team that's won consecutive games once in the past 30 days.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

This game wore me out.

We get Edwin back tomorrow, he will make the team somewhat better.

Lets see what happens.

Well, it is no fun to post after a game like that, but here's the HR update.

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds All-Time Home Run Leaders
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    5. George Foster - 244
    6. Eric Davis - 203
    7. Barry Larkin - 198
    8. Vada Pinson - 186
    9. Adam Dunn - 185
    10. Wally Post - 172
    11. Gus Bell - 160
    12. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 156
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Dan Driessen - 133
    17. Reggie Sanders - 125
    18. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    19. Sean Casey - 118
    20. Frank McCormick - 110
    21. Dave Parker - 107
    22. Chris Sabo - 104
    23. Dave Concepcion - 101
    24. Gordy Coleman - 98
    25. Paul O'Neill - 96
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I'm a gumpy old man as I've told this board before. I've been grumpier than usual over the last three weeks. I'm giving Narron hell for his "non-youth" movement and even doubting Krivsky, but I'm still a Reds fan and will be until I die. It's just more frustrating than I can take sometimes and here's why...

Bob Castellini announced late last year that the Reds would go all out to be competitive and make the Reds fandom proud of their team. He hired Wayne Krivsky as GM, displacing the hated Dan O'Brien, releived John Allen of any baseball position and all looked well with the world. But there's more.

Krivsky got Branson Arroyo from Boston for an underused Willy Mo Pena which at first seemed like a brilliant move (and still does in many ways--Bronson did go 7 innings in a bad performance last night--rare by Reds standards), got Scott H. from free agency, and then the wheels came off.

The pitching staff returned from the 2005 season less Josh Hancock (who has pitched well for St Louis for a fat man), Booker, Hudson, Kiesler, Ortiz, Simpson, Stone, Valentine, and Weber. We added Arrroyo, Burns, Mays and Yan. Oh, to have Fat Hancock back. Otherwise, good moves. Arroyo was a good move but the rest was (or appears to be)a bust.

Other players we lost were Casey, Cruz, and Pena. We added Hat (to play first), Ross (who has been a pleasant surprise), Phillips (likewise), Castro (why?), and McCracken (huh? we gave up Jason Cruz for this dud?).

This is basically the same team as last year with Phillips, Hat, Castro, McCracken, and Ross added and a pitching staff made up of similar or worse people.

Why do we gripe? We should have known better. This is the same team with a similar manager as last year, but with one better starter (Raimeriz replaces Claussen in this example because Claussen regressed and the Lizard improved). We replaced Freel with Phillips at second and EdE at third instead of Freel or Randa.

And until Castellini and Krivsky have a little more time, i guess we should expect long losing streaks to put us back to where we were last year. Bad fielding and bad lineups have been a staple of Reds teams for six years. With little change in personnel, why would we expect better? Because Bob said so. I heard him and then have watched Wayne and his new best friend Jerry add players (remember Rich Aurilia wasn't signed at the time) who are 37, 34, and 29 years old and see them start ahead of early 20's guys.

I don't know the philosophy here, but I hope someone clues me in fast. Batting Rich Aurilia cleanup and Kearns 7th makes me scratch my head. What is the philosophy? Replacing Lopez with Castro and EdE with Aurilia is causing me hair loss.

Is there hope? I hope so. I'm getting too old to wait much longer for a winner. I thought this might be a Cinderella year. Looks like I picked the wrong year to quit sniffing glue...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    This is basically the same team as last year with Phillips, Hat, Castro, McCracken, and Ross added and a pitching staff made up of similar or worse people.
    Respectfully WV - this is not the same team as last year - and you just listed abundant reasons why.

Why do we gripe?
    We shouldn't. How many thought we'd be above .500 and 2 games out of 1st place in early July?

This is the same team with a similar manager as last year
    I don't see any similarities at all between Narron and Miley. None.

What is the philosophy? Replacing Lopez with Castro and EdE with Aurilia is causing me hair loss.
    These two are not replacing anyone. You heard Narron say that Castro allows him to REST Lopez. And Lopez has not exactly been on fire as of late.

We've beat the EE discussion to death - so I ain't going there except to say he'll be starting back at 3B now that he's back - and RA will be platooning again with Hat. You watch.

Is there hope? I hope so. I'm getting too old to wait much longer for a winner. I thought this might be a Cinderella year. Looks like I picked the wrong year to quit sniffing glue...
    We all should be very hopeful and optimistic at what Castellini and Krivsky have done in such a short order.

Krivsky was handed a mess, and look what moves he has made that have brought improvement to this team.

One cannot expect a miracle to be performed in such a short time. I guess Wayne shouldn't have done so, and moved the team in the right direction. He raised some's optimism so high this year, that when the team shows it's weaknesses and struggles, many come crashing back down to earth and complain "same-o, same-o".

It's not.

Would some of you give these guys (Kriv and Cas) a chance for cryin' out loud?

I'm losing more patience with the fans then this management.

I apologize now for the following statement - but some of you act like spoiled children that no matter what you hand them it's still not enough.

Yes - Krivsky has made some moves that are doubtful and skeptical.

I'm sorry he hasn't raised himself to the level of "perfection" that so many on here seem to have attained when it comes to the game of baseball; but his positive moves have far exceeded those skeptical moves.

Finally - we have no idea what this guy is doing "behind the scenes". But for the most part, and from what I have seen so far, yes, I do trust the guy.

They know full well that they have a serious problem with this bullpen, and that our pitching, while showing improvement, ain't there yet.

But it's not like he can snap his fingers and fix this problem.

Breaking News: we're going into the break in the running for 1st place, and we were tied for the WC slot.

Lets see what happens before we fold our tents up.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-06-2006 at 07:51 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?