Turn Off Ads?
Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33737980818283
Results 1,231 to 1,235 of 1235

Thread: 7-5 vs Brew Crew -- NEED A WIN!!

Re: 7-5 vs Brew Crew -- NEED A WIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I don't know what the question is, but the answer most assuredly doesn't involve any combination of the following gentlemen:

1.) Kent Mercker
    2.) David Weathers
    3.) Chris Hammond
    4.) Rick White
    5.) Joe Mays
    6.) Eric Milton
    7.) Esteban Yan
    8.) Jason Standridge
    9.) Brian Shackleford in anything other than a LOOGY capacity
    10.) Mike Burns

There's an answer to be found, though. Just that these guys aren't it. You can keep answering the question incorrectly, or you can try something else and hope to get it right. If Krivsky is playing for 2007/2008, then I understand just dogging it this year, not making an rash moves, and rebuilding the club in the offseason -- but if he's playing to win this year, he's doing a damned strange job of it when it comes to making a pitching staff.
    No one doubts the garbage, but who is out there to acquire? Bullpens are exceptionally shallow throughout the majors, not too many quality pen guys are changing hands right now.
    Maybe there have been many deals on the table, but Wayne just will not overpay for middle relievers right now.....which is the best thing for this club in the very near term.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    My point was the guy is batting around .500
    Bat him cleanup!
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Bat him cleanup!
    Hey! Thats where Aurilia bats - and don't you forget it!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Ah, so Krivsky hasn't demonstrated he's yet capable of finding help and Narron has issues with both construction and usage. But no red flags. Right.

Spring Training wasn't yesterday. We're now over halfway through a season in which the Reds entered with a bullpen that looked to be bad, nothing has been done to make it any better, and the issues have been compounded by Narron's inability to use the right options at the right time.

In Management You Trust. Sorry, not me. They have to earn it. And I've yet to figure out how calling up a currently successful minor league who isn't guaranteed to get MLB hitters out is a worse option than bringing in chaff like Joe Mays and Esteban Yan- who've already demonstrated they can't get MLB hitters out. If the tradeoff is a coin-flip proposition versus a near-100% chance of suckage, I'll take the coin flip every single time.

No. Doing nothing to correct a glaring problem triggers my distain. My expectations and standards are perfectly reasonable: Do something positive to help fix what's broken. And you'll have to pardon me for not playing the excuse game when there's nothing stopping the Reds from taking action.
    When I see the predominance of teams having major bullpen issues, then I know it is simply not the Reds imcompetence or lack of ability to construct and use a bullpen. I think you are terribly oversimplifying the issue as if bullpen arms are ears of corn sitting ripe in the field just waiting for the GM with enough gumption to just pluck them at will.

In our own division, name one team that has a consistent, productive bullpen. In the East, the NY Mets have compiled some nice arms, as I already mentioned. I'm not sure about Florida other than cutting Wellemeyer recently, but the Braves and Phillies have nothing in their pen. I'll have to plead ignorance in the West except for Arizona, who also had a struggling bullpen blowing leads up to the time they played the Reds. The AL, I do not follow enough, but I think the bad bullpens outnumber the good ones in that league as well.

So, rather than jumping to the immediate conclusion that it is a management problem, I see the primary issue Krivsky facing is an economic problem in the game, good ole supply and demand--with demand exceeding supply in a particular area of the game. As for his competence in the area, you are apparently a better man than I and are able to assess the entirety of the situation based on the current body of work.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

No one doubts the garbage, but who is out there to acquire? Bullpens are exceptionally shallow throughout the majors, not too many quality pen guys are changing hands right now.
    Maybe there have been many deals on the table, but Wayne just will not overpay for middle relievers right now.....which is the best thing for this club in the very near term.

Couldn't agree more VR. I don't know where this magical pool of all-star pitching tallent that is available for free resides but I sure wish the people who think it exists would tell us. Maybe they could rattle off the long list of other super deluxe pitchers that have been traded thus far this year? I'd be interested to hear this long list.....

If The Kriv went out and mortgaged the future by trading Dunn (because he has a lot of value IMO) and got a rent-a-pitcher or horrifically overspent this board would melt down. If he went out an tied down the team with a gazzillion dollar contract for a top flight pitcher we'd hear nothing but a chorus of, "I don't know...that's a lot of money...did the same thing with Eric Milton....".

And before you launch into a round of how I drink the kool-aide, I don't like them bringing Burns back again, bringing Mayes/Yan to town, the three catcher deal, etc. I don't think The Kriv walks on water. I am smart enough, however, to realize that in the first 2 or 3 months of the seasons there is just going to be slim pickings in the trade market. I'm also paitent enough to know the abuse of the Schott/Bowden/Lidner/O'Brian era isn't going to be undone by August.

I'm more interested in the big picture and remember that this is a long season that is frankly a "rebuilding" year of sorts. The Bengals didn't go to the playoffs the 1st year Marvin came to town. Nor will the Reds win the WS in this new ragimes 1st year. To be where they are in a "rebuilding" year is pretty impressive. Instead of going through wild mood swings over each and every little decision, it's better to guage performance in the long haul. That also helps keep in perspective that this is a GAME to be enjoyed.

Turn Off Ads?