Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Thread: 7/22/2006 Game Thread BREWERS @ REDS Line Ups

Re: 7/22/2006 Game Thread BREWERS @ REDS Line Ups

I was out to dinner so I missed most of the game (heard the first and last inning on my xm), but I read the entire gamethread (because nothing that interesting is on tv-ok I am watching a 20 year old Miami Vice pilot).

I predicted a 12-9 victory, it turned out 8-7--our pitching was surprisingly better than I thought it would be!

Reading the gamethread, I had some thoughts:

1. I don't think we'll have Joe Mays to kick around anymore. Germano pitched yesterday, my money is on him getting his first start late next week.

2. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to trade Ross/LaRue. If the Reds are planning post-season this year, it'll be quite a luxury to have 3 catchers--and Valentin is a decent option as ph if there are 3 catchers. Of course, if Kriv gets an offer that knocks his socks off he should take it. Willis for LaRue anyone?

3. Don't rush Homer.

4. It's not the "real" starters fault that the bp had to go so many innings this week. Harang was due to the rain delay--he is not to blame for the 7 innings. Get rid of that game and it really hasn't been that bad of a run. They'll be ok.

5. I still have nightmares about Joe Hoerner--he was the worst and Sparky (a Hall of Fame Manager) continually ran him out there, so somehow that puts the month of Mays in perspective...
    Where we gonna go?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm a little surprised there are more people here calling for Joe Mays' head than that of David Weathers.

If a person only watched the Reds once a month, they'd never be able to understand this bullpen. Weathers was good enough to serve as the closer a couple of months ago. Now it's like he brings a gas can to the mound every time he pitches.

Suddenly, Standridge is "lights out" guy. A couple of months back people here were taking bets on when he'd be DFAed.

Can't imagine too many of us were lamenting the lack of AK in right field during the show that Ryan Freel put on at the plate and in the field tonight.

Dunn and Griffey have been doing some steady hitting in both of these games. Neither of them are on a torrid pace, but they are contributing to the offense in a solid fashion.

The Brewers TV crew is enjoyable to listen to. They've been as complementary of GABP and the Reds as any visiting announcers that I've heard so far this year.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Freel doesn't make out the lineup cards, you know. Whether he's in the lineup depends on the whim of the manager.
    You're kidding? I didn't know that.

I'm simply going on historical fact.

The more the guy plays - and his aggressive style of play which everyone loves (including me) - brings up very valid questions concerning his durablilty and consistency.

Are his good numbers coming from the fact that he is not playing everyday, and is rested?

His absences in the past were not due to the whims of the manager but injuries and stints on the DL. Hard to play a guy then.

On 5/2 at Hou left the game with neck spasms and missed 2 games and 4 starts. Missed the last 4 games of the first half with a deep bruise on the undersurface of his left kneecap...suffered the injury while running into the Miller Park outfield wall on 7/7. On 9/27 at Chi suffered a non-displaced fracture of his right thumb on a bunt atttempt and was relegated to pinch-running duties the last 6 games of the season...on 11/2 had arthroscopic surgery to repair the torn meniscus in his right knee (Dr. Tim Kremchek).

Missed 39 games during 2 stints on the 15-day disabled list, including 21 games from 6/25-7/19 with inflammation at the base of the second toe of his left foot (not including 5g missed prior to the disabling) and 18 games from 8/16-9/4 with torn cartilage in his right knee...on 8/18 had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair that torn cartilage (Dr. Timothy Kremchek)...returned to action as a pinch hitter on 9/5 and started at 2B on 9/6...in August and September also was bothered by a strained right quadriceps muscle.

But hey! As I stated earlier.... play the guy everyday. Give him his shot. I'll most certainly take him in there over a Clayton and Castro any day.

You'll find out overall, that he is an above average ballplayer; but not a great ballplayer.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-23-2006 at 06:09 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I'm going to see this. Its in Dodger Stadium - I think 6IP of 2 run 4 hit ball sounds about right.

California sun and smog does things to Jeff Weaver.
    You were close Heath.

5.2 innings 6 hits 1 run (earned)

When it comes to the Cards-Dodgers this year - what was it that Pedro said about the Yankees?

Who's your Daddy!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Hey I thought the person who starts a winning game thread is suppose to get some props?

But it seems Team Casey got all the credit.

Turn Off Ads?