Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556

Thread: 7/30/06 - Reds vs Brewers Game Thread

Re: 7/30/06 - Reds vs Brewers Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Mountain Dew maybe? It's only about one step away from crack (which, come to think of it, probably isn't such a good idea).

Nope. On August 9 it will be exactly one year since I gave up all carbonated soft drinks!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    Nope. On August 9 it will be exactly one year since I gave up all carbonated soft drinks!
    Then dude, you're just have to going to wait for the team!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Brewers players did that fake punch/knock out punch in the bullpen after the Mench homerun. I remember seeing a video of them doing it after Carlos Lee hit a homerun about a week or so ago.

Video: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/script...&urlstr=&murl=

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    WV,

Why is it if a person doesn't want to hear constant carping they are labled as someone who rationalizes away every little mistake? I can find constant bashing of a player/manager tiresome and still remain objective, find fault, see the short comings, etc.

Why is it if a person sees the world through negative-tinted glasses and views every muffed play as the end of the team labled as someone who hates the team? I can point out every weakness of a player/manager yet still like my team and chear them on.

I don't see "the camps" so black & white.
    That's a good question. I tend to side with you.

This society we live in demands black and white, liberal and conservative, God and Satan...you get the picture. One of the many reasons there is no compromise in government or society these days. And like you, I can't understand why a fan who sees what he thinks is idiocy and expresses it is not a "true' fan. Likewise, those who would rather look at the sunny side are considered shills for the team.

I also hate the bickering a lot. I wrote a long dissertation a couple of months ago about the deterioration of the game threads over on Live. It resulted into having a game thread here too. I've watched the game thread deteriorate into almost (but not quite) what it was over there so I give up. Until the Reds are solidly in contention every year, it will be like this. Too much frustration for too long and too much "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude adds to it.

But baseball has always been a game where the manager gets blamed for everything and I hate it that Jerry Narron makes some strange moves that place him in the bull's eye. But that's the price to pay for being the head man.

The camps are blurred from day to day and 1 & 2 tend to blur a lot depending on what day it is.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    How so? Explain please.

Hmmm. Ever hear of the word slump? Every player goes through this. and the alternatives are Chris Denorfia who apparently can't hit ML pitching and Ryan Freel, who is playing in right today.

How so? I guess the 20 HR's and 50+ RBI's mean nothing? Oh, I get it. It's his fielding. Right? How many errors does he have this year? How many does Dunn have?

You know that? And if I'm not mistaken, the manager makes these decisions, just like the decision to play Rich Aurilia everyday.

Gallagher lives.

Junior's not in a slump. Good players (I'm not even talking about guys who hit in the #3 hole),...NEVER,....EVER....EVER...hit .180 during the month of July with as many at-bats as Junior had during the month and without an injury as an excuse.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    Junior's not in a slump. Good players (I'm not even talking about guys who hit in the #3 hole),...NEVER,....EVER....EVER...hit .180 during the month of July with as many at-bats as Junior had during the month and without an injury as an excuse.
    Yup. Couldn't agree more.

Mike Schmidt sucked as a player as evidenced by his batting .196 for the entire year in 1973 in 373 at bats.

Or Jason Giambi, who two years ago was washed up and hit close to .200 for the entire year.

Or Dave Winfield, who in approximately 26 postseason games (the equivilent of a month) has an average of .208.

Or ARod who has been scuffing lately.

None of them are good players!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Yup. Couldn't agree more.

Mike Schmidt sucked as a player as evidenced by his batting .196 for the entire year in 1973 in 373 at bats.

Or Jason Giambi, who two years ago was washed up and hit close to .200 for the entire year.

Or Dave Winfield, who in approximately 26 postseason games (the equivilent of a month) has an average of .208.

Or ARod who has been scuffing lately.

None of them are good players!
    You proved my point.

Junior's a horrible player right now.

What a bozo response!

You pulled up Schmidt's rookie year...You pulled up Giambi's Cancer year, and sporadic playoffs appearances by Winfield.

Let me repeat this...

No Good player (and I'm not even talking about guys who hit in the #3 hole) hit .180 in July in as many at-bats as Junior had last month.

And someone brought up the 20 HR"s and 50 RBI's...those are horrible numbers for the #3 hole in the REDS's lineup....that person should have over 65 RBI's...easily.

Part-timer Ben Broussard has better numbers.

Griffey is the yoke around the REDS' team right now...he's pulling them down.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Yup, I proved your point. You are just too smart for me and put me right in my place.

No good player has ever slumped for an entire month. At least now I know that kernal of truth from Eric Davis.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Yup, I proved your point. You are just too smart for me and put me right in my place.

No good player has ever slumped for an entire month. At least now I know that kernal of truth from Eric Davis.
    Again, you make things up.

I said "July, in as many at-bats as Griffey has had", not just any month.

For what it's worth....

Junior's numbers:

300 at-bats from the #3 hole
    39 runs
    13 doubles
    0 triples
    21 homeruns
    58 rbi's
    .238 avg
    .294 obp
    .490 slg

What the rest of the Reds have produced from the #3 hole:

141 at-bats
    26 runs
    7 doubles
    0 triples
    12 homeruns
    27 rbi's
    .251 avg
    .326 obp
    .530 slg

Maybe we should trade Junior for Jason Lane?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Fine - here is the new kernal of truth from Eric Davis - no good player ever slumps for the entire month of July.

Now I know. Sorry to have "made things up"
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Maybe we should trade Junior for Jason Lane?
    Hey, as long as Thompson isn't included in that deal! He was the second biggest piece of the Kearns Lopez deal ya know.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Hey, know who else is not a good player - Bobby Abreu.

Last July (and now I know it HAS to be July) he hit .214 with 1 hr in 95 at bats while the Phils were in a wild card race.

Bad player.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?