Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 8-29 vs Dodgers -- SHOW ME, REDS!!

Re: 8-29 vs Dodgers -- SHOW ME, REDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I know this sounds weird...but don't we want the Cards to sweep the Marlins?

Right now don't we have a better chance to win the WC than the Central?

As of right now the Phillies are winning big and the Marlins are beating the Cards 5-1 in the 5th.
    Not really. We have to better one team to win the Central. We have to better, what, 6 to win the WC. I'll take our odds in the division.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As of right now the Phillies are winning big and the Marlins are beating the Cards 5-1 in the 5th.
    I see a bunch of teams in the NL that are starting to look a whole lot better than the Reds. The Reds really need some high voltage additions in September.

Because right now they look like the same old "2 somewhat effective starters and pray for rain" alignment with a rusty, old and ineffective bullpen as they had back on July 1st.

A great big revolving door of poop.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I give this line-up an A+ but since it was turned in 3 months after its due date, it only raises Jerry's grade to a D-.

Right now I root for each of the close wildcard contenders to lose, which at this point includes the Padres, Phillies, Marlins and Giants.

People get stingy with the hope that we will win the division, but I'm not concerned with the division. There are 162 regular season games to be played with the end reward from those games being one of four teams in each league to make the playoffs, wildcard included.

The absolute goal right now should be to simply make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs via the wildcard, that's fantastic. If we make the playoffs and win the division, that's fantastic.

Just make the playoffs; how we make it is immaterial. Once playoff games start, then other goals arrive, such as reaching the NLCS, winning the NL flag and winning the World Series.

But for now, one step at a time, and right now that step is simply the playoffs.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Not really. We have to better one team to win the Central. We have to better, what, 6 to win the WC. I'll take our odds in the division.
    that is true, that's why it's crazy. We are in the lead in the WC now..we have to make up 3 1/2 games on the Cards in a month...who do we pull for?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Right now I root for each of the close wildcard contenders to lose, which at this point includes the Padres, Phillies, Marlins and Giants.
    Each of the above teams looks way better than the Reds. (Though the Phillies will discover a way to screw it up).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

People get stingy with the hope that we will win the division, but I'm not concerned with the division. There are 162 regular season games to be played with the end reward from those games being one of four teams in each league to make the playoffs, wildcard included.

The absolute goal right now should be to simply make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs via the wildcard, that's fantastic. If we make the playoffs and win the division, that's fantastic.

Just make the playoffs; how we make it is immaterial. Once playoff games start, then other goals arrive, such as reaching the NLCS, winning the NL flag and winning the World Series.

But for now, one step at a time, and right now that step is simply the playoffs.

"Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?! I just hope we win a game!"

That's how I'm feeling right now.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

Great post

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

Not a bad place at all to start!

Great post
    Here's a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Each of the above teams looks way better than the Reds. (Though the Phillies will discover a way to screw it up).

Amen FCB. Should prove interesting to watch that plan unfold. Jeff Conine, the Philly savior...

How important is it for this team to score first this game and for Milton to go the 1st three innings without a run scored?

Slumping teams often have to overcome even favorable matchups. Thus, the feelings of uncertainty.
    I give us a 45% chance to win, and I feel that's optimistic

The offense has to show up today. You've got to figure LA will score at least 4 runs this game.

At least I feel as though we have a chance. Yesterday was so depressing to sit through, because I felt the game was an automatic loss before it even started. Only Tomko made it interesting.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    You're probably right..

But no matter what, the Reds have to pick up their end and carry it for the next month....

True. There's too many too teams that are too close to the Reds to do their usual "Let's hope everyone else loses".
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

They're all a mixed bag of pure mediocrity, the Reds included. Hot'n cold streaks mixed in with plain ole luck will determine the NL Wildcard winner. We have as good a shot as the rest of the squads, but at the same time, they've each got as good a shot as we do.

Raise a glass to nice BABIP marks both offensively and defensively, a second glass to a sub 4.00 bullpen ERA, a third glass to sub 3.50 ERAs from Harang and Arroyo, and a fourth glass to a .380 Freel OBP and .900+ OPS marks from Dunn, Griffey and Encarnacion for the month of September.

We're going to need most of the above, if not all of the above.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 08-29-2006 at 10:10 PM.

Turn Off Ads?