Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Aug. 30th, 2006 CIN v. LAD .. *Fingers Crossed*

Re: Aug. 30th, 2006 CIN v. LAD .. *Fingers Crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Well, this is the OldRightHander, rounding third and heading for bed...Good night everyone.
    You've made it through the last two games, you can suck it up and get through this one.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Please...baseball gods...help us pull this one out somehow.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Marty just raised a good point...you see very little fire with this team. People walking to their positions, lollygagging around.
    I'll take issue with Marty's words on that every time considering that everything done since before the ASB was allegedly to change the team's makeup and chemistry.

Marty's full of poo. Winning breeds perception of effort. Losing breeds the opposite. The defining characteristic isn't effort. It's talent.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    He's 94 mph straight
    And that's the biggest problem of his that I see. No movement.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    And that's the biggest problem of his that I see. No movement.
    Homer Bailey's fastball doesn't have much movement either. Location is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    If they were DFA'd somewhere else, they won't do crap here.

I would never completely close the book on DFA'd pitchers. It's unlikely, but there is the occasional success stroy.

Bobby Jenks comes to mind. He obviously had age on his side unlike the guys we have picked up, but there is the occasional gem to uncover.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'll take issue with Marty's words on that every time considering that everything done since before the ASB was allegedly to change the team's makeup and chemistry.

Marty's full of poo. Winning breeds perception of effort. Losing breeds the opposite. The defining characteristic isn't effort. It's talent.

I don't think he meant the whole season, but in this stretch. I don't know that, but I would agree if he means in the short term.

I feel sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I would never completely close the book on DFA'd pitchers. It's unlikely, but there is the occasional success stroy.

Bobby Jenks comes to mind. He obviously had age on his side unlike the guys we have picked up, but there is the occasional gem to uncover.
    After watching Bobby Jenks pitch over the past 2 seasons I cant believe someone would let him go.

Marty just raised a good point...you see very little fire with this team. People walking to their positions, lollygagging around.
    I was at all three of the losses in San Francisco and noticed this as well. I remarked to my friend that they looked like a 90-loss team hurrying up to get a flight.

That's not good. I had hoped that the addition of battle-tested vets like Guardado, Holly, etc., would have upped the intensity, but I guess when you have our kind of roster turnover it's hard to foster such a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post

True, AK, but...one in a hundred. If you're lucky.

Spend some cash (and not on 39-yr old lefthanders who are over the hill) and get pitchers who have velocity and movement. And have been successful in the past.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Homer Bailey's fastball doesn't have much movement either. Location is the key.

Never seen Homer pitch or read a scouting report. And while I'll agree location is important as hell, you're not going to have it every outing. Movement can make up for those times.

Cripes, do the Dodgers fans boo EVERYTHING that doesn't favor the Dodgers, even if it's earned? I've never heard much about Dodgers fans being vulgar, but through my radio they've sounded awful this entire series.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Can you say 4.5 back in the Central??

I don't think he meant the whole season, but in this stretch. I don't know that, but I would agree if he means in the short term.
    Then the moves that were positioned to change team "culture" (at best) didn't change team culture. That's not a player issue.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?