Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: 9/1 Reds v. Pads Game Thread

Re: 9/1 Reds v. Pads Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Well, the guy is 36 years old. Unfortunately, for all-natural players, that tends to signal the end- particularly if they've got a hamstring held together by bailing wire and staples. But you're right. The Manager positions the players in the field and controls where they hit in the order. Griffey is the Reds' Center Fielder because he has been chosen to be the Reds Center Fielder. He hits in the three-slot because that is where he's written into the lineup.

The OF should be Griffey in LF, Dunn in RF (before he eventually moves to 1B), and Freel in CF. It sucks to see a hero's defensive skills disintegrate, but that's what happens. Even Andruw Jones has lost steps, but the Braves still run him out to CF based on his reputation.

At the Reds have broached the changing positions topic with Griffey in prior years. At this point he certainly shouldn't be adverse to switching excepting the idea the fast stops at LF (the only other OF position he should play) and stretches at 1B would strain on his already-debilitated hammys. If he's incapable of playing another position, then he's a DH playing Center Field in a league that doesn't offer the DH position.

And hopefuly you now how hard it is for me to say that about Griffey. I've been full-on in his corner while he's overcome serious injury problems. But at some point he and Reds management needs to realize that a position switch is in everyone's best interest.

Last edited by WMR; 09-02-2006 at 02:27 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Edit

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    It's sort of his own fault for not wanting to move positions. Nomar swallowed his pride and moved to first and is having a great year. There is a whole list of other players that have moved positions and have extended their careers and not exposed themselves as much to their age or injury indused shortcomings.
    But you know for a fact that he has stated this position (about not wanting to move)?

Because he came out earlier in the season, when asked about a position move, and stated he wasn't opposed to it - whatever would help the team - but that NO ONE has asked him. Is Jr then lying? I don't think so. And I don't know of too many professional ballplayers who go to management, say their skills have deteriorated, please move me or take me out of the lineup.

The last might have been Gehrig.

I think this is solely management's call. They have him in their because he's Jr, a future HOFer, a guy who puts butts in the seats, a fan favorite. And they, in their thinking of denial, hope to see "flashes" of a Jr of old while denying that Jr is simply getting old.

They really have no other viable alternative for CF at this point. I agree it COULD be Freel (due to his defensive speed/hustle). But other then his OB%, Freel's stats are pretty average to mediocre career-wise for a CFer IMHO. And Narron wanting to keep Freel available (off the bench) to play multiple positions as needed, and not "lock" him into any one position (Narron's words), is one area where I disagree with him on. He's been playing RF an awful lot lately.

But this organization, just like it was with Larkin at SS a few years ago, have a "situation" on their hands in CF. And they are trying their best to avoid it for now.

Everyone says that OFers are a "dime a dozen" anymore. Well - here's 20 cents. Someone go out and get us a couple for now, because I'm just as skeptical (scared) with Dunn in LF!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?