Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/2 Game Thread: Reds vs. Padres

Re: 9/2 Game Thread: Reds vs. Padres

Funny. But it does bring up an interesting point. Some guys have perfect eyes and I am sure that helps. Others need contacts.

Now I realize what steroids do to your body and I am the last person who think they should be legal. But how is it different for a little guy to use roids than it is for a blind guy to get contacts? The guy with contacts is trying to get his eyes equal with that of the guys with the top eye sight. The little guy with roids is trying to get his body equal to that of the guy with the best body.

Obviously there are other factors like the health risk as contacts as far as we know won't kill you but in a sense they are sort of the same thing as far as baseball ability goes. A guy who needs contacts is going to be better with them. And a guy who doesn't have the tools of a Barry Bonds is probably going to be better on the juice

Just thinking out loud, not looking for some new baseball policy with roids or contacts. Please nobody jump down my throat.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 09-02-2006 at 10:07 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Why in the world is there no TV tonight? Its only the biggest game of the year.

I hate FSN.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    And the same can be said for Jake Peavy and the REDS offense...

REDS lineup tonight... career vs. Jake Peavy:

* 6-for-42 (.143 BA), 0 HR, 1 double, 1 RBI. OUCH!

BTW... Peavy is legally blind without contact lenses!
    I think a lot of lineups had numbers like that against him prior to this year. Has he not been wearing his contacts when he pitches this year?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Homer Bailey

3 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks, gets nobody out and is pulled in the first.

He's not looking like an option...
    That was his body double pitching. The REAL Homer is actually in Cincinnati waiting to pitch on Tuesday.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

I have heard that you cannot hit what you cannot see... but can you pitch when you cannot see?!?
    The Red Sox have a pitching prospect who's blind in one eye. He got called up during interleague play, and wound up having to bat in a game. It was not comfortable to watch.

Peavy strikes out his 3rd batter....

edwin k's now hat is ahead 2-0

COme on hat get on!

hatte walks

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Now I realize what steroids do to your body and I am the last person who think they should be legal. But how is it different for a little guy to use roids than it is for a blind guy to get contacts? The guy with contacts is trying to get his eyes equal with that of the guys with the top eye sight. The little guy with roids is trying to get his body equal to that of the guy with the best body.
    I have thought this many times. I guess its how the joke came to me. I think there are plenty of good arguments against 'roids but I think integrity of the records is not one of them. There are so many differences between eras that there was never integrity of the records. Besides the obvious issues like integration, expansion, strike zone, mound height, the advances in sports medicine are hugely in favor of the modern player. Contacts are an example. So is Tommy John surgery for that matter. In the 50's the career was over. How many homers have guys hit after some new procedure extended the career. Wade Boggs probably wouldn't have gotten to 3000 hits w/o laser eye surgery.

As for contacts versus roids. The big difference that I see is that Contacts are freely available to anyone who needs them to level the playing field where roids are intended to give you an illegal "leg-up." Not a real bold line being crossed, but a line none the less.

Back to the game now. Sorry for hijacking.

Hatte walks... C'mon Rich, stay hot!

hat walks..Richie aurilia Celebrating his 34th birthday today Get a homerun swing Tuned up!

rich hits into dp ball going to middle 2nd reds 0 padres 0!

RA swings at first pitch... didn't they learn anything from last night?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The Red Sox have a pitching prospect who's blind in one eye. He got called up during interleague play, and wound up having to bat in a game. It was not comfortable to watch.
    I remember growing up that the reds had a guy like this. I can't remember if it was John Noriega or Jay Ritchie. Noriega I think, but maybe the historians can help.

Didn't go on to do much. Wonder if it would be different with Today's medicine

Turn Off Ads?