Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: 6/9 Reds-Pirates game thread

Re: 6/9 Reds-Pirates game thread

I quess Marty has his good days and his bad days.
    It seems to me that his bad days outnumber his goood ones lately. That does not mean I Hate him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So because the Pirate guys suck, that makes Marty good?

The Reds are a better team than the Pirates. Does that mean anything? So why does it matter that Marty is better? Compared to Scully, Marty stinks. Compared to the Mets, the Reds stink.

So based on the complaining about Marty is old logic, complainging about the Reds, who are better than the Pirates is old too.

I think Marty has been around so long that many of you have forgot what a BASEBALL game is supposed to sound like.

Hint, questions about the name of some gangsta that you drag on for six innings doesn't make the cut.

Again, imagine Vin Scully with those stupid trivia questions and all the references to the people nobody knows.

Maybe I'm using too high a standard but Marty is in the Hall of Fame, right there with Scully. I don't forget this because Marty won't let me.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Matt any word on who is going to replace the bad boy?
    It's gotten pretty quiet...very hush hush.

I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Maybe that's the point....he doesn't do what "other announcers do."

Like it or not.
    No joke he doesn't do what other announcers do. Which is why I think more people are laughing at him than he realizes. He makes an ass out of himself in the booth.

Its to bad he doesn't have someone close enough to him to fill him in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    But none of us call games for the Reds.

Does anyone know of any other announcers that do what Marty does? I haven't heard any.

Yes the sunny side up routine can be annoying, but Grande takes it to the extreme. Both sides are annoying.

I've said it before, Vin Scully has been with the Dodgers longer than Marty has been with the Reds. He obviously is a fan. Back in the 50s up through this day, if the Dodgers went 0-162 and commited 4 errors every night, Scully would keep his cool and announce the games with professionalism. And he'd do it without sounding anything like George Grande.

Scully would tell stories about other baseball disasters and members of the Hall of Shame. He would tell stories about Babe Ruth playing for the Boston Braves and winning 60 games less than he was used to winning. That is what Hall of Fame announcers do. Well, all of them but one.

Obviously Marty is his own man but in this respect, I think it sheds him in a bad light. If he wants to go down as the only play by play guy in the HOF who should have the chip on his shoulder mentioned on his plaque, so be it.
    I see what you're saying, but as for me, I like Marty's emotion and criticism. And I find Vin Scully wildly predictable and impersonal. He just reads anecdotes from each team's press guide. I like the quality of his voice but he's a bore. Marty's got some juice. And I don't always agree with him.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

The critism is fine if it came from someone a little more willing to accept some himself.

Ever heard Marty go off on an emailer?

He chucks stones and he lives in a glass house.

Off topic - Stupid Indiana cost me 50 dollars on my parlay cards. All they needed to do was beat Ball freakin' State by four points or more and I would win 50 bucks, instead they one won 24-23. Their stupid kicker missed a freakin' 25 yard field goal to screw me out of some money.

Just got home from the game. A horrible game.

The team seems defeated after the disaster that was the west coast road trip. Not sure how you measure it, but they seemed to be mailing it in tonight unlike many of the games earlier in the year. They were dead as doornails on Monday also.

Freel looked horrible at the plate tonight. Was sitting in the club home seats and had a great view. Many of his swings just looked weak. On average nobody was really on fire tonight. Hopper is pretty speedy. Had a nice catch and a head first sliding double.

For those who want Dunn to be angry and freak out to prove how dedicated to winning he is, he was irrate with himself in one of his at bats. I couldn't tell but I think he swung and missed one down broadway. He drove the handle of the bat into the ground, kicked the ground a bit and basically threw his helmet on the ground. Actaully, EE was mad at himself after a poor at bat also.

EE's throwing error was on a tough play with a long throw and a fast runner. I'd rather he made the throw of course, but I wasn't too worked up over it. RA's complete brain cramp was a far bigger deal, IMO. He just vapor locked and did nothing till it was too late to get the out at home.

The deal with sending Ross up to PH and then having to waste him because of a pitching change was pretty weird.

So Coffey pitches last night with a huge lead when some of the chaff should have been in there. He comes in tonight and you could tell right away he didn't have it. I'm not saying he would have been lights out tonight had he not pitched last night but maybe he would have been a little "fresher". IMO it's just another example of Narron's poor use of the bullpen. And where is Hume on both of those decisions?

Coffey didn't have it and instead of yanking the plug right now Narron stuck with him. Why Jerry is fixated on Franklin right now is beyond me. And why he didn't pull the plug on him when he got into trouble is beyond me. And again, where is Hume on both of those decisions. The outcome of the game was not a shock after he took the mound.

Despite the Reds fading the staff at GABP remains friendly and outgoing. They all say "enjoy the game", "thank you", "how may I help you" and go out of their way to help out.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-09-2006 at 10:57 PM.

Funny you guys should complain about Marty again. I just happened to be reading the New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract today and came across this passage abot Waite Hoyt:

"Afer his pitching career he decided to leave the stiffs and stayed in baseball for 30 years as a Cincinnati broadcaster, giving countless interviews about Babe Ruth and baseball in the 1920s, becoming grouchier and grouchier as he did so, until, at the end, he appeared to deeply resent anybody else pretending to have any knowledge or understanding of anything connected with baseball before 1930."

Maybe it's something in the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?