Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 9/15/06 - Reds vs. Cubs Game Thread

Re: 9/15/06 - Reds vs. Cubs Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    One thing I don't understand is how people can say the NL is BAD. If there are a good many teams near .500, the only conclusion one can draw is that there is PARITY in the NL. If you had a league filled with teams like the '27 Yankees you'd have a bunch of .500 clubs. It doesn't mean they are bad.
    I think one reason people are saying that this year is the way that the NL got totally run over in interleague play. Though it was worse this year, that has also been the case the last few years. That stats are a little better across the board in the AL as well.

But that's still a point well taken.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

One thing I don't understand is how people can say the NL is BAD. .
    If the Reds can contend, the league must be bad.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I think one reason people are saying that this year is the way that the NL got totally run over in interleague play. Though it was worse this year, that has also been the case the last few years. That stats are a little better across the board in the AL as well.

But that's still a point well taken.
    No, I agree with you, but the evidence being pointed to on ESPN for example, is that there are so many teams contending who are at .500, and I think that's faulty logic.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

One thing I don't understand is how people can say the NL is BAD. If there are a good many teams near .500, the only conclusion one can draw is that there is PARITY in the NL. If you had a league filled with teams like the '27 Yankees you'd have a bunch of .500 clubs. It doesn't mean they are bad.
    Interleague play exposed the NL for what they are. Guillen was probably right, the Sox would win 150 games in the NL Central.

And if you had a league full of the '62 Mets, you'd have a bunch of .500 clubs too. That doesn't mean any of them are good. Interleague play is about the best indicator of how one league stacks up against the other. Obviously it is a limited measuring stick since every NL club doesn't play every AL club but the results across the board make a pretty good case for the AL being superior. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see some NL team win the World Series. But even that wouldn't prove the NL is on a par or better than the AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And if you had a league full of the '62 Mets, you'd have a bunch of .500 clubs too. That doesn't mean any of them are good. Interleague play is about the best indicator of how one league stacks up against the other. Obviously it is a limited measuring stick since every NL club doesn't play every AL club but the results across the board make a pretty good case for the AL being superior. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see some NL team win the World Series. But even that wouldn't prove the NL is on a par or better than the AL.
    All the more reason to get rid of interleague play.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    All the more reason to get rid of interleague play.
    But the kids love it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But the kids love it.
    Who's kids? Bud's?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Who's kids? Bud's?
    I don't dislike it, but I'd rather play the Tigers one series, the Indians one series, and the White Sox one series every year.

The rest could go away.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

If interleague play, somehow, could keep the Reds off the west coast, maybe I could live with it. Then again, nah.

I am all for ending the interleauge play stuff.

ESPN needs something to talk about.........same thing that was beaten over the head of NFL fans in the 70's (AFC over NFC) and then late 80's most of the 90's (NFC over AFC).........NL AS dominance in the 60's and 70's....even though the AL won their share of WS.

It's just a chance for people to spout off with theories.....and bull.....and then 1 year later it goes the other way like nothing happened.

Turn Off Ads?