Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread 9-17 - if anyone cares

Re: Game Thread 9-17 - if anyone cares

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Who is at .245/6/31/.776 since the trade. He hit .189 in August and he's hitting less than .250 with RISP.

His slump would fit in quite well with this ballclub.
    Lets bring on Hopper and Wise and I am sure they will get the 20/80 next year.

Maybe a lot of Kearns success how to do with the dynamic of the Reds offense.

Nah, I'll just come stick my head in the sand with everyone else.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I am truly amazed how this team went from a surplus of OFs to a serious shortage. And there is no help coming in the minors and no reason to believe Jr will move from CF.
    The good thing is that a competent GM should be able to trade for well-above replacement level outfield talent. But then, it would require GM competence.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

For those who were wondering why so little actual game facts are contained in game threads, it is because the score is evident by the nature of the posts and who is posting. Reading about the impact of "the trade" in a blowout game sounds like someone who has been singing 999 bottles of beer on the wall and is on about bottle 53 and has sung through each verse.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Really? You don't think that removing significant OBP, discipline, speed, and extra base power from a team might have a negative result on other players? Before the trade, the offense was far more slump-proof. The presence of players in a lineup (particularly when they can work counts) does have an effect on how other players perform. Because your lineup is a dynamic system, sometimes you lose more than just individual performance when you mess with it.
    I find it hard to believe Jr ever thought to himself, "I gotta step it up, Lopez isn't here any more". Same with Dunn or Hatteburg. I don't think they'd approach an at bat any different if they suddenly were playing for the Mud Hens so not having AK or Lopez wouldn't make a witt of difference to them, IMO.

I think it's reasonable to consider that Philips, Ross, Freel and EE started pressing thinking they had to pull some extra weight. They are younger and less experenced so I think you raise a valid point that the loss of AK and Lopez would have some psycological impact on them that would effect them at the plate.

If there was a direct cause and effect (ie, the trade triggered a collective slump) however, I would have thought it would have shown up much sooner if that were the case. .
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-17-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The good thing is that a competent GM should be able to trade for well-above replacement level outfield talent. But then, it would require GM competence.
    Actually it can be done. The problem is and this is what others don't want to acknowledge. The Reds have a surplus of exactly nothing to trade.

...52 bottles of beer on the wall

Forget it. Bad typing
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    For those who were wondering why so little actual game facts are contained in game threads, it is because the score is evident by the nature of the posts and who is posting. Reading about the impact of "the trade" in a blowout game sounds like someone who has been singing 999 bottles of beer on the wall and is on about bottle 53 and has sung through each verse.
    :all_cohol :notworthy
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Actually it can be done. The problem is and this is what others don't want to acknowledge. The Reds have a surplus of exactly nothing to trade.
    One could argue that there was nothing to trade at the beginning of the year.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    If there was a direct cause and effect (ie, the trade triggered a collective slump) however, I would have thought it would have shown up much sooner if that were the case. .
    small sample sizes generally tell very little. The team dealt what little offensive depth they had and that ensured that if slumps came they would be on internal answers to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    ...52 bottles of beer on the wall
    Nothing more interesting than someone who points out that people point out the shortcomings of their favorite team.

Why don't you offer something by way of discussion? That is, besides your bankrupt thesis that Wayne is doing what Marvin Lewis has done with the Bengals.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Ummmm, red herring. Does anyone who does more than look up the score of the Reds and say "oh, lost again, Reds still suck, Who Dey!" think that the Reds are planning on Hopper and Wise being plan A next year for our outfield?

One could argue that there was nothing to trade at the beginning of the year.
    If that was what Pena, Kearns and Lopez were than the Reds could use a big order of nothing. They each had their warts but they are productive players even if you don'e want to admit it. Pena actually brought something but he likely had the lowest value of the three. I am sure the Theo would have given the Reds a bit more for Kearns than Pena.

Nothing more interesting than someone who points out that people point out the shortcomings of their favorite team.

Why don't you offer something by way of discussion? That is, besides your bankrupt thesis that Wayne is doing what Marvin Lewis has done with the Bengals.
    I must have missed your post giving the reasons for your opinion. Let me go see what you had to say. And as if your repetitive droning on of the same points in the game threads is discussion.
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-17-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Who is at .245/6/31/.776 since the trade. He hit .189 in August and he's hitting less than .250 with RISP.

His slump would fit in quite well with this ballclub.
    You sorta' forgot the .372 OBP.

Post ASB:

Kearns: .372 OBP
    Lopez: .378 OBP

And that's while playing half their games in a park that saps power. You don't think the Reds could use some of that rather than starting Dewayne Wise and Todd Hollandsworth in their Outfield during a last-gasp WC chase?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?