Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday Playoff thread

Re: Friday Playoff thread

FCB, facing AL lineups, especially the east ones, is much different than facing the pathetic NL. I really think that masde a much bigger difference this year than in any year I can remember. There just wasn't a lot of good NL offenses.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

How many pitchers in ALL of baseball can throw 102 mph right now?

It's hard to believe Junior hit that Grand Slam off Zumaya. He's awesome.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    FCB, facing AL lineups, especially the east ones, is much different than facing the pathetic NL. I really think that masde a much bigger difference this year than in any year I can remember. There just wasn't a lot of good NL offenses.
    I'm accounting for that and I still feel Arroyo and Harang had better seasons than any Yankees' starter.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Man, listening to Ernie Harwell was a rare treat. What a great announcer.

Sean knocks out the big unit. Wow.

And I can't stand Kenny Rogers. But I have to admit, he pitched a masterpiece.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

RFS, I was going to ask you if you were disapointed with how chicken boy pitched tonight. He's one the few players you have real disdain for.

Give the devil his due.

He pitched the game of his life tonight. And you could just see his thought process watching him out on the mound.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Wright really didn't have a very good season. And while Mussina had some good peripherals, he was pretty hit-fortunate. And gave up a reasonable number of dingers. And to say Johnson had a pretty crummy season by his standards (or really by several standards) is being nice.

Wang was good, but kind of a one-trick groundball pony.

On balance, I'd say both Harang and Arroyo outpaced any pitcher on the Yankee starting staff by a respectable margin.
    I disagree. the top two are pretty comparable. Wang had an amazing season; so did Harang. Mussina and Arroyo both had largely great seasons marred by one long stretch of mediocrity. I think this all evens out.

Then we're down to the bottom three. Johnson did have a crummy season by his standards, but he pulled off 17 wins in a tougher division and league. Wright had some very good starts; his ending stats are evened out. So not the greatest. But I can't be convinced that the season from these two can equal the motley crew of the Reds' bottom three: Ramirez, Milton, Lohse, whoever.

I'm halfway to drunk and despair by this point, and I have a sad rally cap on. A friend called to give me a radio feed just in time for me to hear the Yankees lose. Rock.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I disagree. the top two are pretty comparable. Wang had an amazing season; so did Harang. Mussina and Arroyo both had largely great seasons marred by one long stretch of mediocrity. I think this all evens out.

Then we're down to the bottom three. Johnson did have a crummy season by his standards, but he pulled off 17 wins in a tougher division and league. Wright had some very good starts; his ending stats are evened out. So not the greatest. But I can't be convinced that the season from these two can equal the motley crew of the Reds' bottom three: Ramirez, Milton, Lohse, whoever.

I'm halfway to drunk and despair by this point, and I have a sad rally cap on. A friend called to give me a radio feed just in time for me to hear the Yankees lose. Rock.

Yeah, you're right that the bottom of the Yankees' rotation was better. But I deeply disagree that Mussina and Wang were as good as Harang or Arroyo.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Ha!

I just saw a sign that said "Billy Crystal Sucks"

Wang had kind of an odd line this year. He gave up more hits than innings pitched, walked a decent amount of guys, and struck out next to no one. He didn't give up a lot of HRs, but his ERA was much lower than it should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Ha!

I just saw a sign that said "Billy Crystal Sucks"

That is brilliant.

the better sign would have been "City Slickers Sucks."

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yeah, you're right that the bottom of the Yankees' rotation was better. But I deeply disagree that Mussina and Wang were as good as Harang or Arroyo.
    Wang had a 3.63 ERA and a 19-6 record. His Ks are low but that's just due to his style of pitching -- he also doesn't walk a lot of hitters. I don't care if he's almost entirely a sinkerballer; he does it better than just about anybody, and the AL hitters don't seem to have figured it out yet. And Moose was on the way to one of his best seasons ever until he got hurt.

I don't want to belittle Arroyo or especially Harang. But Wang and Mussina consistently pulled off wins against a tougher league. The initial assertion was against the entire pitching staff, and I still believe that the Yankees' is slightly underrated.

I don't know why I'm defending this team right now.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Wang had a 3.63 ERA and a 19-6 record. His Ks are low but that's just due to his style of pitching -- he also doesn't walk a lot of hitters. I don't care if he's almost entirely a sinkerballer; he does it better than just about anybody, and the AL hitters don't seem to have figured it out yet. And Moose was on the way to one of his best seasons ever until he got hurt.

I don't want to belittle Arroyo or especially Harang. But Wang and Mussina consistently pulled of wins against a tougher league. The initial assertion was against the entire pitching staff, and I still believe that the Yankees' is slightly underrated.

I don't know why I'm defending this team right now.
    I realize I said "the whole staff." That's incorrect on my part; sorry for the bait and switch.

But way too many metrics point to the two Reds' starters as being better. And almost certainly better going forward.

Let me put it this way: I'd much prefer the pitching matchups of the Reds in this configuration in a short series than the Yankees': Arroyo, Harang, Belisle vs. Mussina, Wang, Johnson/Wright.

But the point's utterly moot as the Yankees' offense is about a trillion times better than the Reds'.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-06-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?