Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Friday Playoff thread

Re: Friday Playoff thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I was never the biggest fan of Sean Casey's game, but I always loved the guy. I'd love to see him do well in these playoffs.
    That's exactly my sentiments.

Two hits tonight for Sean, including a blast to the wall in right center for a double. That double he hit gave me flashbacks to what he was doing for us all season in 1999. In fact, seeing Casey the entire game tonight gave me flashbacks to 1999. He'll show excited emotion on the field when things are going well, just like 1999, but he hasn't had much to be excited about on the field these past few years until this season with Detroit.

And what can be said about Kenny Rogers. That was an absolute gem he threw tonight, and I'm glad I decided to stay home tonight and watch it.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let me just say that if the Yankees are out of it, then I'm an agreeable, friendly person.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Yeah, what a strange path this year has been for Casey.

Traded from the town that annointed him "the Mayor", back to his home town.

Then traded to a contender, and now, finally, in the playoffs ('99 barely counts).

One of the great guys to ever play the game, a guy who completely "gets it" as to how lucky he is to be there and gives back with no thought of recognition or reward.

I'm pulling for the Tigers all the way.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Let's hope the Tigers can finish it off tomorrow.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I think I'd rather see the Yankees win the World Series than the Cards.
    I would too.

I don't mind the Yankees, I actually even like them a little bit. With that being said, I would still rather see a Tigers-A's ALCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    That's exactly my sentiments.

Two hits tonight for Sean, including a blast to the wall in right center for a double. That double he hit gave me flashbacks to what he was doing for us all season in 1999. In fact, seeing Casey the entire game tonight gave me flashbacks to 1999. He'll show excited emotion on the field when things are going well, just like 1999, but he hasn't had much to be excited about on the field these past few years until this season with Detroit.

And what can be said about Kenny Rogers. That was an absolute gem he threw tonight, and I'm glad I decided to stay home tonight and watch it.
    Totally agree with this post.

Sean Casey is the kind of guy that is perfect for playoff baseball. Patience is still a huge virtue, but you have to be willing and able to hit pitches early in counts. Playoff baseball is a different animal than the regular season. Just look at the Yankees and their inability to wait out certain at bats. Gotta come up hacking at times.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Rogers 1st win over the Yanks since 1993 - and it was a BIG one.

Arod is his typical post-season self.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think the Yankees need to spend some more money. The problem is you can't buy intestinal fortitude.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I think the Yankees need to spend some more money. The problem is you can't buy intestinal fortitude.
    And the highest paid player in the game, Arod, is horrible when it matters...

Again.

Poor Yankees.........you got what you paid for....go Tigers.

Arod's playoff line is .305/.393/.534/.927

This is ARod's 9th playoff series, totalling 31 games, and he's been damn good in all of them but 3 of the series'. The infamous series against Boston in '04 he was on fire the first 4 games, but went cold the last 4. But so did the entire Yankee team. He's been bad in this series, last year against the Angels, and in the '97 ALDS.

In three league championship series' (17 games he's played, he put up an OPS of 1.024.

Just as a comparison, Jeter has played in 7 ALCS' (41 games), and his OPS is .744. That's right, most people think Jeter has always performed well in the playoffs. And while I have loads of resepct for him, his overall performance in these series' isn't that spectacular. His World Series OPS is .809. That's pretty good in my book, but not as well as most people probably think. Where he has performed the best has been in Divisional Series'.

In the 2004 collapse against Boston, Jeter hit .200/.333/.233 for an OPS of .566. Arod was at .894. IN the Aaron Boone walk off series the yea before, Jeter was .233/.281/.400 for an OPS of .681.

In the 2001 Series loss to the D'Backs Jeter was horrible hitting .148 with an OB of .179 and SLG of .259. That's an OPS of .438.

Arod's overall post-season OPS is higher that Jeter's at .926 to .842.

The point is not that Jeter isn't a great player and hasn't come up huge in huge situations, it's that anyone can lay an egg at any time. It happens even to the greatest of players.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, plays well in every post season situation. ARod's struggles are magnified because of his reputation. Sure he's not performed in this series, but outside of Jeter that first game, no one has played well for the Yanks.

I'm no fan of ARod at all. I think he's a primadonna who's more worried about his image than anything else. But my opinion of the guy change the fact that he's one of the best baseball players who ever played. He gets plenty of hype because of the money he makes, but I don't think most fans appreciate just how good he really is. And he's performed just fine in important situations throughout his career.
    Last edited by MWM; 10-07-2006 at 01:35 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Arod's playoff line is .305/.393/.534/.927

This is ARod's 9th playoff series, totalling 31 games, and he's been damn good in all of them but 3 of the series'. The infamous series against Boston in '04 he was on fire the first 4 games, but went cold the last 4. But so did the entire Yankee team. He's been bad in this series, last year against the Angels, and in the '97 ALDS.

In three league championship series' (17 games he's played, he put up an OPS of 1.024.

Just as a comparison, Jeter has played in 7 ALCS' (41 games), and his OPS is .744. That's right, most people think Jeter has always performed well in the playoffs. And while I have loads of resepct for him, his overall performance in these series' isn't that spectacular. His World Series OPS is .809. That's pretty good in my book, but not as well as most people probably think. Where he has performed the best has been in Divisional Series'.

In the 2004 collapse against Boston, Jeter hit .200/.333/.233 for an OPS of .566. Arod was at .894. IN the Aaron Boone walk off series the yea before, Jeter was .233/.281/.400 for an OPS of .681.

In the 2001 Series loss to the D'Backs Jeter was horrible hitting .148 with an OB of .179 and SLG of .259. That's an OPS of .438.

Arod's overall post-season OPS is higher that Jeter's at .926 to .842.

The point is not that Jeter isn't a great player and hasn't come up huge in huge situations, it's that anyone can lay an egg at any time. It happens even to the greatest of players.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, plays well in every post season situation. ARod's struggles are magnified because of his reputation. Sure he's not performed in this series, but outside of Jeter that first game, no one has played well for the Yanks.

I'm no fan of ARod at all. I think he's a primadonna who's more worried about his image than anything else. But my opinion of the guy change the fact that he's one of the best baseball players who ever played. He gets plenty of hype because of the money he makes, but I don't think most fans appreciate just how good he really is. And he's performed just fine in important situations throughout his career.

That's all well and good, but it's the whole "what have you done for me lately" thing....and, A-rod, instead of letting his talent do that talking, he's whined, cried, and worried about what people think about him....

Now the Yankees backs are against the wall....again....and mr. image hasn't done what he was paid to do (so far)...again...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    And the highest paid player in the game, Arod, is horrible when it matters...
    That isn't true.

However, if the Yankees are eliminated by Detroit, I'd say it's 50/50 that George wants A-Rod out. Do we have the juice to make a deal for him? Could we send Arroyo and Griffey for A-Rod plus cash, then use Dunn as bait for a starting pitcher?

I can't believe that a scant year ago I would have been pissed if we traded Kearns for Wang and Cano. Especially given what we eventually got for him. Ugh.

Maybe "horrible" was a bit much....but he'd be the second coming if he came here.

Not saying I'd complain.....

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Let me put it this way: I'd much prefer the pitching matchups of the Reds in this configuration in a short series than the Yankees': Arroyo, Harang, Belisle vs. Mussina, Wang, Johnson/Wright.
    I don't agree...but not by much. And admittedly, I can't help but let Rivera play into my thoughts as well.

I definitely think that Harang and Arroyo were as good as any 1-2 in the majors this year. Which is why I thought the Reds would have actually stood a chance in a short playoff series. A small chance given everything else, but as good as, say, the Cards or some of the others. And the Cards are not doing too badly.

As for A-Rod...there are nine batters on a team. How many of them scored for the Yankees last night?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?