Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: LOST: Season 3

Re: LOST: Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Perhaps some. Last I heard the ratings were slipping, and I know that I'm one of a number of fans who are beginning to grumble about the writing.
    Can you elaborate? What about the writing (I haven't noticed...)
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, last week's episode was the lowest rated episode of Lost ever, so it does look like the ratings may be slipping.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Well, last week's episode was the lowest rated episode of Lost ever, so it does look like the ratings may be slipping.
    I thought the Desmond episode was more interesting than the ones with the others.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I read in Entertainment Weekly one of the writers of the show said that episode would be the one that would more than likely bring the viewers to a point where they know they show is going in a good direction or they'd lose them forever.

I thought it was a great episode, but if what you say is true, then I guess they've "lost" their viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Can you elaborate? What about the writing (I haven't noticed...)
    Since the end of Season 2, the pacing has become glacial (in the pre-Al Gore sense of the word), and despite each episode's generous heaping of new questions, answers are mighty tough to come by.

What is the smoke monster, exactly? Why was Libby in the mental hospital? What is the Black Rock doing in the middle of the island? Why is there a four-toed statue? Why did the Others want Walt? Why was Desmond naked? Who cut up the training film? What was "the incident"? What happened to Locke's paralysis? Why was Jack's Dad's coffin empty? How did a horse get on the island? What is the Others' motivation, exactly? Why do the Others want babies? Where are the babies, anyway? Is there another group of knuckle-dragging, baby-kidnapping Others around? Why does Ben think his band of kidnapping torturers are "the good ones"? Why was Carl watching "A Clockwork Orange"? How could Ben be Alex's father if he's never left the island and Danielle arrived pregnant? How did Danielle go 16 years without seeing anyone on this floating metropolis? What is that whispering noise in the forest? What was that cable Sayid found on the beach? What illness did Danielle's team catch? Who was the guy with the eye patch? Who is Jacob? What were Penny's people looking for and why/how? With the hatch gone, what's regulating the island's magnetic field? What was that purple flash and what did it do to the Other's communications with the outside world? When the plane crashed, Ben told Ethan and the other guy to make lists and do nothing but observe; Anna said three people were kidnapped the first night and nine more second night--explain? How did Walt kill birds with his mind and appear to Shannon in the forest? Did the island cure Jin's sterility, or is Sun carrying baldy's child? Why did the smoke monster kill the pilot? Why shouldn't the computers be used for communication? What was the purpose of the hatch's blast doors? Where is the replacement button-pusher? If the program has been terminated, why are the food drops still happening? How did a Beechcraft fly here from Nigeria? Desmond tried to sail away but couldn't; why? Whatever happened to Jack's army? Or Sawyer's palace coup? Why was Desmond injecting himself even after learning that the quarantine was a ruse? Why are some of the hatches manned and not others? If Ben can leave, what's keeping him here? What "history" do Ben and Juliet share? What were Sawyer and Kate helping the Others build? What's the deal with that "broken" speaker in Jack's cell? Michael and Walt sailed off--then what? Ben said "god himself cannot see this island": what did he mean by that? Ecko told Locke that he'd be next to die; how did he know that? And so on.

If the show's creators don't care enough to answer the questions they raise, why should I?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Yeah. I feel the same way about the "Others" now that I do about Nikki/Jessica on "Heroes." Both seem to be an impediment to the story rather than something that moves it along.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post

If the show's creators don't care enough to answer the questions they raise, why should I?
    I think you are not alone in feeling like that. They just keep heaping on new mysteries without answering the old. It's akin to torture for typical TV viewers who like their stories like their TV dinners, compartmentalized and easy to prepare and dispose of afterwards. We all want to feel like things are going somewhere and right now this show does not. These people race from one drama to the next without time to wrap the previous one. Is kate a *****, or does she love both Jack and Sawyer? Why would Jack want to save her if he saw her sleeping with Sawyer? The writing is way down. If season one was an 85 on a scale of 100, the last season + is in the 60s at best.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think you are not alone in feeling like that. They just keep heaping on new mysteries without answering the old. It's akin to torture for typical TV viewers who like their stories like their TV dinners, compartmentalized and easy to prepare and dispose of afterwards. We all want to feel like things are going somewhere and right now this show does not. These people race from one drama to the next without time to wrap the previous one. Is kate a *****, or does she love both Jack and Sawyer? Why would Jack want to save her if he saw her sleeping with Sawyer? The writing is way down. If season one was an 85 on a scale of 100, the last season + is in the 60s at best.
    I loved the first season and the beginning of the second. All of the suspense, the drama, etc was great. I felt like "ok, I have to use my mind to figure this stuff out and then later on I'll find out if I'm right." There's stuff in the show that just doesn't need to be in there. There were too many open ended questions posed by the 2nd or 3rd episode of season 2. They never answered those questions, they just kept piling on and on and on with the questions. They are to the point now that I don't think they can explain their way out of stuff. I'll continue to watch because I like the characters and the acting but I no longer "care" what happens next like I did.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

How did a horse get on the island?
    The writers actually answered this, sort of, in the preview show week before last. It had to do with the island calling up visions of important people or things from people's past.

Hey, I said "sort of".

1 down, 999 to go.

I have to admit these last two episode have intrigued me a bit, compared to what had gone before. One of my new theories is that Sun's baby is neither Jin's nor Baldy's, but was implanted somehow, sometime by Juliet. Maybe its Ben's.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I hated the last episode. It did nothing to forward the story and didn't seem to have any relevance whatsoever on the underlying plot that's been developing over the first 2.5 seasons. It did, however, open a slew of other questions that I'm sure we'll have to wait a year to get answered.

this show has gotten tired. I've had just about all I can handle.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I don't necessarily blame it on the writing but more so on the way the plot was going. I watched, but didn't like the long boring stint on the other island. It held no interest for me whatsoever. I hope they get Jack off that island ASAP so we can get back to the core characters and leave the other island far far behind.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I don't necessarily blame it on the writing but more so on the way the plot was going. I watched, but didn't like the long boring stint on the other island. It held no interest for me whatsoever. I hope they get Jack off that island ASAP so we can get back to the core characters and leave the other island far far behind.
    The "Others" were far more interesting when we didn't know anything about them. We've already invested so much time in the survivors of the plane crash that introducing the Others, with their own set of issues and questions, just muddies the waters.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The "Others" were far more interesting when we didn't know anything about them. We've already invested so much time in the survivors of the plane crash that introducing the Others, with their own set of issues and questions, just muddies the waters.
    Exactly. Don't try to make me have sympathy for Juliet. The show was great when it was about survival, now they are trying to make some sort of devil out of Henry [not that he's a good guy].

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

In the article I read, the writers said the "big" questions aren't planned to be answered until the final season. A lot of the little details are supposed to start getting filled in soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    In the article I read, the writers said the "big" questions aren't planned to be answered until the final season. A lot of the little details are supposed to start getting filled in soon though.
    I have a feeling that if they don't start answering some of those questions soon, this will be the last season.

Turn Off Ads?