Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: World Series Game 4 Thread

Re: World Series Game 4 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Congrats to the 2006 'roided up Cardinals on becoming the worst team in history (in any sport) to win a championship.
    Class is a nice thing, try to show some.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It makes me wonder what could have the Reds done?

It's not officially over yet, but it looks like the Cardinals got hot at the right time...that's really all it takes in all honesty.

I tip my hat, painfully

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It makes me wonder what could have the Reds done?

It's not officially over yet, but it looks like the Cardinals got hot at the right time...that's really all it takes in all honesty.

I tip my hat, painfully

The Reds pitching never would have done as well as the Cards IMO. Plus their defense is much better too. As close as the Reds were to the cards in the standings this year, and as much as I dislike the cards, they are a much better team than the Reds IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The Reds pitching never would have done as well as the Cards IMO. Plus their defense is much better too. As close as the Reds were to the cards in the standings this year, and as much as I dislike the cards, they are a much better team than the Reds IMO.
    This series shows that not always the "best team" (on paper, obviously) doesn't always win.

Remember 1990?

It's a fun "what if" either way...

If you get in...you never know what can happen
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 10-27-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The Cards run the bases better and hit the cutoff man too.

I'm also going out on the limb and say that their pitchers are better fielders.

It'll be interesting to see if the Cardinals can put this one away. The World Series history between these two franchises is the first one to three wins loses the Series.

The Tigers surely felt invincible in 1934 heading home with a 3-2 lead and Schoolboy Rowe set to take the mound. The '68 Cardinals had a commanding 3-1 lead, rings from '64 and '68 on their fingers, two homes games yet to play and Bob Gibson -- who'd won two Game Sevens in previous years and who posted a 1.12 ERA that season -- scheduled to take the mound for a Game Seven if it was needed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If the Cardinals lose tonight, would you throw Carpenter in Game 6?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    FCB, I thought you were nuts, but turns out you may be right. However, I beg to argue with you on one thing: the cards may be a team of destiny, and this series is being decided on experience and psychology to a degree, all that is fine. But it is not so much a matter of the Cards stepping up as it is the Tigers laying down. I really think that they bought into the media hype of them beating the Yankees, then sweeping the A's, david and Goliath and all that; they had a week off and thought they were invincible. And they're learning otherwise and choking.

I blace more blame on the tigers than I credit St. Louis.
    IMO, the Cardinals are putting steady pressure on the Tigers and that's causing the cracking. It's what most folks expected the Yankees to do the Tigers, but the Yankess got complacent.

FCB's got a knack for postseason zeitgeist. During that Mets series the Cardinals showed some serious mettle. They beat a far superior team. I mentioned after the NLCS that the Birds have a "Wild Bunch" feel to them (much like the 2001 D-Backs). Though I also think history may look back on this Series and deem the seasonal W-L records a mirage. The Cardinals have been on an extended run and there's little doubt in my mind that we'll look back in 10-20 years and see that St. Louis had a lot more star power (career-wise) than Detroit.

That said, if St. Louis gets complacent now Detroit could climb right back into this thing. The Cardinals need to continue to play every moment like they're about to be eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    IMO, the Cardinals are putting steady pressure on the Tigers and that's causing the cracking. It's what most folks expected the Yankees to do the Tigers, but the Yankess got complacent.

FCB's got a knack for postseason zeitgeist. During that Mets series the Cardinals showed some serious mettle. They beat a far superior team. I mentioned after the NLCS that the Birds have a "Wild Bunch" feel to them (much like the 2001 D-Backs). Though I also think history may look back on this Series and deem the seasonal W-L records a mirage. The Cardinals have been on an extended run and there's little doubt in my mind that we'll look back in 10-20 years and see that St. Louis had a lot more star power (career-wise) than Detroit.

That said, if St. Louis gets complacent now Detroit could climb right back into this thing. The Cardinals need to continue to play every moment like they're about to be eliminated.
    I don't see how the Mets were ever considered vastly superior to the Cardinals. They ran out Trachsel, Perez, and and John Maine for 4 starts. That is painful. They also had bullpen problems and the Cliff Floyd injury.

Give the Redbirds credit though, they keep winning. I just would have liked to see one series where both teams played even remotely up to their potential.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    If the Cardinals lose tonight, would you throw Carpenter in Game 6?
    Only death is more of a certainty than the Cardinals winning tonight. The Tigers looked absolutely psychologically destroyed after blowing the lead.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I don't see how the Mets were ever considered vastly superior to the Cardinals. They ran out Trachsel, Perez, and and John Maine for 4 starts. That is painful. They also had bullpen problems and the Cliff Floyd injury.

Give the Redbirds credit though, they keep winning. I just would have liked to see one series where both teams played even remotely up to their potential.
    The Mets had starting pitching issues thanks to the Pedro and El Duque injuries, but Maine had a pretty good season and Oliver Perez doesn't lack talent (and to his credit he stepped up when his team needed him). They still had a very good bullpen and some dynamite players in the field.

I actually think the Mets played pretty well against St. Louis. That was a heck of a series. I also don't think Detroit's playing all that poorly right now. Yes, they are making some mistakes, but that's part of baseball. No one plays error-free, highlight reel baseball all the time. Yet the Cardinals are putting the Tigers into a position where the normal errors and non-plays of the sport are costing them games. Essentially St. Louis has managed to whittle the Tigers' margin for error down to nearly zero. Getting consistently on base against all the Tiger's main pitchers outside of Kenny Rogers (the Cardinals have had baserunners in 18 of the 24 innings -- some only partial innings -- pitched by Velander, Robertson, Bonderman, Rodney, Zumaya and Jones) has really put Detroit back on its heels.

The pitcher errors are kind of freaky, but St. Louis is forcing flamethrowers like Verlander, Zumaya and Rodney to make plays against them (with runners already on base to boot). Nolan Ryan used to buzz the next few hitters if a team bunted on him. Roger Clemens practically injures himself every time he makes a play in the field. Having to throw the ball to first base is way outside the comfort zone of most power pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Only death is more of a certainty than the Cardinals winning tonight. The Tigers looked absolutely psychologically destroyed after blowing the lead.
    I actually think the Tigers will win tonight, the Cardinals tomorrow. But I'm never, ever right on these things.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I actually think the Tigers will win tonight, the Cardinals tomorrow. But I'm never, ever right on these things.
    I should have stopped predicting victories in November of 2004. In fact, after predicting a Bengals victory against the Steelers in last years' playoffs I have been forbidden by one of my frinds to predict anything in his precence.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I heard the Cardinals will be popping needles into each other tonight (if they win, of course) instead of popping champagne.

Turn Off Ads?