Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: World Series Game 5 Thread

Re: World Series Game 5 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    We (Reds) were a better team than the Cardinals. Too bad that damn west coast trip did us in. That should have been our Reds winning the WS last night.
    I can't agree with that. Not that the Cardinals lit the world on fire during the regular season, but at least they had a positive run differential.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd give both of my eyeballs to have a GM who could evaluate talent like that and make the necessary moves to get it right.
    Ok FCB, serrious question for you. The Cards replaced Sidney Ponsone with Jeff Weaver. The same Jeff Weaver you both called a turd and complemented Krivsky for passing on. The same Jeff Weaver of the 5-4 record and 5.18ERA with the Cards (a stunning 5-14 record with an 5.76ERA for all of 2006). So they replaced dreck with slightly better than dreck.

Yet....when Krivsky replaced White with Yan (or was it Mayes) you hammered him saying that if you can't replace crap with solid performance it's a waste of time.

For the Cards it's stellar evaluation of tallent that lead them to the WS but with Krivsky he couldn't find tallent if he fell over it? Why the seeming double standard?

How many teams have made the playoffs while winning only 83 in a HORRIBLE league?!?
    It doesn't matter. They did good enough to win the division and qualify them for post-season. That is all that counts.

I don't see you making much hay about the Mets racking up wins in such a horrible league that obviously inflated their value. Who were all those victories against?

I get the feeling that you somehow think post-season assignments need to be awarded at the end of the regular season by what is reflected "on paper".

That is your problem.... you look on paper ONLY to form your position, and definitively state that "these teams should win and deserve to win". Anything less is an injustice.

The Cards would have been 10 games under .500 in the AL.
    But the fact of the matter is they aren't in the AL, and it is inconsequential. Mote point.

Quite simply, the best team did not win.
    Then this won't make you happy....

The Cardinals won the WS because Pedro and Floyd got hurt.
    More slobbering.

It can't be proven that IF they had been in there the Mets would have won. And it's not the Card's fault they were injured. Nor should it lessen their victory.

Players like Rolen and Edmonds were playing at less then 100%, and struggled, as well as other Cards players, with injuries all season. Think that could have contributed at all to them only garnering 83 wins?

Or was that only a factor with the Mets?
    Last edited by GAC; 10-28-2006 at 11:55 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The Mets won 95 games, the Cardinals 83. The Mets took advantage of a weak league.

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/i...lynews0826.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Ok FCB, serrious question for you. The Cards replaced Sidney Ponsone with Jeff Weaver. The same Jeff Weaver you both called a turd and complemented Krivsky for passing on. The same Jeff Weaver of the 5-4 record and 5.18ERA with the Cards (a stunning 5-14 record with an 5.76ERA for all of 2006). So they replaced dreck with slightly better than dreck.

Yet....when Krivsky replaced White with Yan (or was it Mayes) you hammered him saying that if you can't replace crap with solid performance it's a waste of time.

For the Cards it's stellar evaluation of tallent that lead them to the WS but with Krivsky he couldn't find tallent if he fell over it? Why the seeming double standard?
    It wasn't stellar evaluation for the Cards. Somehow, someway they got Weaver turned around.

I still contend that had Weaver been acquired by any of the 29 other teams, he would have been the Jeff Weaver the Angels saw all season long. What can I say? Dave Duncan's an alchemist. But that doesn't mean Jeff Weaver's a good pickup necessarily.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Well....congrats, Cards, I guess...

I couldn't do that for the Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So St. Louis who had a 4.54 team era vs the leagues 4.49 is "every bit" the stuff that the 1975 Reds 3.37 ERA vs the leagues 3.63 in 1975 was eh?

I guess it is just you that looks at a staff and says, "even though you were below average you were just as good as a team from 31 years ago that was above average."

Yeah... I can see the logic there.
    The logic breaks down on a ton of levels, not just from my perspective. I guess ultimately it's silly to even compare a pitching staff from 1975 (who struck out essentially NO ONE) to a pitching staff of today. Had Chris Carpenter pitched in the mid-70s, he'd have more Cy Young awards than Cy Young had wins (sarcasm--don't take literally). Comparing the pitchers of today to then is silly. That's where I went wrong.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I really should work for BP: I essentially made all of those points BEFORE they played the games.

*Pats himself on the back*

You're good at that....warranted or not

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    You're good at that....warranted or not
    Darn skippy. Like fine wine....

If the Reds can't win, at least I can be right.

I really should work for BP: I essentially made all of those points BEFORE they played the games.

You also said in June that the Braves worried you more then the Cardinals.

You are Edgar Cayce.

FCB

You are Edgar Cayce.
    The Cards were bad in June. The Braves less so. I reserve the right to change my mind--teams aren't static over the course of a season, ya know.

(Unless you're the Reds; then you follow the same trajectory every year: false sense of talent and accomplishment that fades like a Pierre Cardin interior)

The Mets won 95 games, the Cardinals 83. The Mets took advantage of a weak league.
    And of course, having key players like Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and various members of the pitching staff, struggling with injury and spending time on the DL didn't contribute at all to them only winning 83 games right? They wouldn't have won any more with them healthy and in there.

It only affected the Mets.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

You are Edgar Cayce.

More like

Turn Off Ads?