Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Game 5 Thread

Re: World Series Game 5 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    If the Cards win the World series I think this will put more pressure on Krivisky. He will want to try to compete with the World Champions in the Division. Will the reds try to raid the Cards free agents or get rule V players from their system.
    They should hard-charge for Edmonds, if the Cards don't pick up his option.

Though pitching is still their greatest need, the Reds still desperately require offense.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 11BarryLarkin11 View Post
    The whole NL has been bad this year. The Mets were the only good team and they were done when Pedro went down. I hope the NL bounces back next year and gives us some good teams. I don't ever recall more flawed teams in the league.
    Apparently the AL sucked too. The Cards are absolutely dominating in every way the AL's "best."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Sample size.

FCB I like the idea of trying to get Edmonds.

Quote Originally Posted by 11BarryLarkin11 View Post
    Sample size.
    Yeah. But I do definitely think the AL/NL disparity is, when all is said and done, something of a fluke, and not necessarily as indicative of a power shift as many are making of it.

It will be corrected by next season.

Put the Cards up against each and every contending AL team this year and the Cards would come out winners, easily. Same for the Mets, who are, IMO, the second best team this postseason in MLB. So the NL possessed the top 1/4 of the postseason slots. I just think the talent in the NL concentrated itself more severely on two squads as opposed to it being all over the place in the AL.

The Cards have played OK, but I'd hardly call it dominating. It's been as much about the Tigers playing horrificly than the Cards "dominating."

FCB, you really should move back to St.Louis.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Put the Cards up against each and every contending AL team this year and the Cards would come out winners, easily.
    FCB, I agree with a lot of what you say on here, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. No offense.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I don't think you can discount the payrolls of the Yanks, BoSox, and Angels either. The top three payrolls in MLB reside in the AL, which has to have some impact on where the talent ends up. I agree that it's more of a fluke than anything, but there may be other factors at work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The Cards have played OK, but I'd hardly call it dominating. It's been as much about the Tigers playing horrificly than the Cards "dominating."

FCB, you really should move back to St.Louis.
    You win or you don't. The rest is excuse-making. If you win the World Series, you're a great team. If you win it several times in a space of 5 or 6 years, you're a dynasty.

I don't think the Tigers are somehow playing well below their capabilities; I think they maybe match poorly with the Cards, but I don't think you can take anything away from the Cards' pitching staff. If you do, it's just sour grapes.

how many 2 out RBI's have they had this series....???
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I think the myth of the Cards being a bad team died when they removed Izzy from the closer's spot.

I think it's funny that people fawn all over neverwuzzes like the Twins for replacing the stiffs in their lineup with decent younger hitters, but the Cards get no credit for fixing their bully by handing over the reins to a rookie like Wainwright. So he turned into Trevor Hoffman on 'em and will likely tie up the WS in a bow tonight in the ninth for the Cards--give credit where it's due.

I'd give both of my eyeballs to have a GM who could evaluate talent like that and make the necessary moves to get it right.

Honestly, who the hell really cares. This world series trophy counts just as much as the '75 Reds trophy or the '27 Yankees. But I'm pretty good at being objective when it comes to baseball and I'm going to call it like I see it. This is as weak a world series champ as I've ever seen. Doesn't really matter because it counts the same, but as far as placing this team in the ranks of past champs, I don't think they stack up well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Doesn't really matter because it counts the same, but as far as placing this team in the ranks of past champs, I don't think they stack up well at all.
    I'd say the Cards pitching this season is every bit the pitching of the 75 Reds. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think the myth of the Cards being a bad team died when they removed Izzy from the closer's spot.

I think it's funny that people fawn all over neverwuzzes like the Twins for replacing the stiffs in their lineup with decent younger hitters, but the Cards get no credit for fixing their bully by handing over the reins to a rookie like Wainwright. So he turned into Trevor Hoffman on 'em and will likely tie up the WS in a bow tonight in the ninth for the Cards--give credit where it's due.

I'd give both of my eyeballs to have a GM who could evaluate talent like that and make the necessary moves to get it right.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post

Turn Off Ads?