Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Stanton a Red

Re: Mike Stanton a Red

I would have loved to have had Stanton 10 years ago.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wonder if this means Schoenweis is not returning.

Over his career, Stanton has been a better pitcher than Schoesnweis, but Stanton is 39 and you have to wonder which of the two is the better bet for the next couple of years.

Reds still collecting lefty relievers. Cormier, Bray, and Stanton all on the roster.

Pretty decent signing, no doubt he is an upgrade in the pen. I don't know how anyone can not like this before they know the dollars involved.

I'm not really liking Wayne K's move since the Kearns/Lopez fiasco.

Does this make other bullpenners available? If Santon is the set-up guy (and he probably will be), then at least four the following is sure to be sitting on warmer seats today:

Coffey-- CLoser of the future has to step it up at least two notches. A viable alternative as a middle reliever or set-up guy, he's cheap, and fairly effective. Trade bait? It's possible.

Bray-- The arm with the most promise of the bunch. He's cheap and LH. Plus stuff may mean he's a possible closer in waiting, but how many pens have a lefty set-up guy and a lefty closer? Looks to be the odd man out and a middle reliever at best this year.

Majewski-- Has to bounce back strong or he's useless. Many on the board assume he's toast, but they've been wrong before. Likely negative trade value at this point, so he's here until he's better. A middle reliever.

Belisle-- Promises about starting seem empty. Plus stuff, but a troublesome back keeps him from being ultra solid. He's a long reliever at this point, but could blossom. Does he have trade value? Not much. An intriguing throw-in-- nothing more.

Lohse-- Pitched decently for Cincinnati last season. Still young at 27 and has experience (albeit limited) in the pen. Could become an outstanding closer, with plus/ plus stuff. But he's expensive. Could Lohse be lost due to arbitration? If so, look for a deal sooner.

Claussen-- Pitched horribly last season, but fairly effectively the year before. If he's right, Claussen is the best of the fifth starter candidates. Of course, he's supposed to be a fourth or third starter, so that's not good. Still, as a lefty, he'll get every chance. Arbitration eligible, but shouldn't break the bank. At this point, little trade value, but that could rise quickly. A keeper, IMO.

Ramirez-- Cheap, young, and doesn't walk anyone. I think a transformation to the pen would be ideal, with an eye toward closer. He's got decent stuff. Let's hope that's the Red's plan as well, as he's overmatched (at this point) as a starter.

Cormier-- Signed for two more years. Ugh. Rheal bad. Rheal, rheal bad. But he's here for a reason.

Standridge-- Solid last year, in spurts. The biggest odds against making the team, IMO, as he's been unheralded and unknown largely thorughout his career. Still, he's had a couple cups of coffee and knows a bit about the role as mop-up man. Little trade value.

Not a bad move IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Standridge-- Solid last year, in spurts. The biggest odds against making the team, IMO, as he's been unheralded and unknown largely thorughout his career. Still, he's had a couple cups of coffee and knows a bit about the role as mop-up man. Little trade value.
    The Mets already picked him up off of waivers.

Just got back and glanced over this and the same thread in Reds Live. Has it been reported yet as to whether this is a 1 year deal or 2 ? Seems like there are some conflicting reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Does this make other bullpenners available? If Santon is the set-up guy (and he probably will be), then at least four the following is sure to be sitting on warmer seats today:

Standridge was cut and picked up by the Mets.

I meant Shackleford, but typed Standridge. His ERA was horrid, but Shackleford was used incorrectly. In fact, he's really the only true LOOGY in the bunch. That makes four LH, not counting Schowenweis (who's probably gone), Guardado (who will take time), and Mercker (who's almost 99% retired, at this point).

Lots of options and a probable spot where a deal can be made.

With Cormier and Bray, why spend money on Stanton? Are the Reds going to carry seven relievers again next year? That's something I'd really hoped would get put into mothballs.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'll wait to see what the money is, but I don't mind this move at all. Stanton is a solid pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    With Cormier and Bray, why spend money on Stanton? Are the Reds going to carry seven relievers again next year? That's something I'd really hoped would get put into mothballs.
    7 relievers and 3 catchers, same old story.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    7 relievers and 3 catchers, same old story.
    It's November.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Fetish Night

Turn Off Ads?