Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TD TJ-HoushyoDADDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Re: TD TJ-HoushyoDADDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

He's just lovin' him some Bengals football. As am I WilyMo, as am I. Prost!
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wish I could have watched it, instead of listening to it at work - but it was a great game to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I wish I could have watched it, instead of listening to it at work - but it was a great game to listen to.
    It was a great game to watch.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Yay Bengals.

Boo NFL Network. (I don't have it.)
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Me neither, reg.

Would someone please explain to me the reasoning behind not being able to advance a "muffed" punt? What possible logic is there to that rule?

Baltimore Sun called the Bengals over Ravens yesterday. They said the Bengals would win because of the intangibles...ie, they needed it more. I didn't see the game but it didn't sound to me like the Ravens laid down. These two teams are dead even.

Here's my fear- the Bengals may be playing well enough to beat the Colts and the Broncos, neither of which is playing as well as they should be, but they may very well lose to the Steelers.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Me neither, reg.

Would someone please explain to me the reasoning behind not being able to advance a "muffed" punt? What possible logic is there to that rule?
    From Jerry Markbreit:

Most rules "make sense", but the rule I've never understood is the muff rule. What is the reasoning behind not allowing the kicking team to advance a muffed punt? --Bob Pleva, Spring Grove, Ill.

Editor's note: Jerry's initial answer has been changed slightly. The definition of a muff is as follows: touching of the ball prior to possessing the ball. The act of muffing the ball is not considered possession. In order to advance the ball, which the kicking team recovers, it has to be possessed by the receiving team first. But, the kicking team can also recover a muff, but it cannot be advanced. The people who wrote the rules of the game thought it was unfair to allow the kickers to recover a ball and advance it, unless the receiving team possessed it first.
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....eref-headlines
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Thanks for the explanation, that does make sense. It is the same concept that keeps a team who fumbles the ball and the defense temporarily picks up the ball but muffs it back to the offense from getting the advantage of a new set of downs simply because the D temporarily had the ball, but never really had "possession" of the ball.

Someone on another board tried to tell me that in a Bengals game against the Falcons that the refs messed up when John Thornton temporarily picked up a fumble that the Falcons got back. I explained the difference between a a muff and a fumble, he called me an idiot. Which is why I do most of my Bengals chatting here rather than the Bengals boards.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Baltimore Sun called the Bengals over Ravens yesterday. They said the Bengals would win because of the intangibles...ie, they needed it more. I didn't see the game but it didn't sound to me like the Ravens laid down. These two teams are dead even.

Here's my fear- the Bengals may be playing well enough to beat the Colts and the Broncos, neither of which is playing as well as they should be, but they may very well lose to the Steelers.
    Does a 10-win season get them in the playoffs? Tall order, winning 10 but you gotta figure they're gonna beat the Raiders...I'll take our chances against the Steelers...that means we have to beat either the Broncos or the Colts to get to 10 wins. But will that even be enough?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ravens MUFF the punt reception... BENGALS RECOVER!!!!!! !@#$
    FYI, I think some of the keys on your computer are sticking.

Makes all the routine posts.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Well, so much for the one who predicted 6-10 at one point. Anyone gonna fess up to that prediction?
    That would be the twinkie loving, fired by ESPN, Jason Whitlock. He also crapped on Marvin Lewis for "coddling" to Chad Johnson. He also ripped on Chad pretty good for only caring about himself. He said (on Lance's show) he is not a Chad fan and can't wait for him to get hit. He's gotten hit...he's gotten up....he's gotten better.

Somewhere, he is crying
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-01-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The "muffed" punt rule is stupid. This is the pros...if you can't catch the thing, then you deserve to have it run back the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The "muffed" punt rule is stupid. This is the pros...if you can't catch the thing, then you deserve to have it run back the other way.
    I at least see some logic in the no possession change. But I like your logic better. If they want to prevent the case where it kicks off an offensive player who is not trying to catch the ball turning into a TD, that would be tolerable, but yea, when an NFL player is trying to catch the ball and gets close enough to touch it, he should catch it or suffer the consequences, whatever those may be.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Does a 10-win season get them in the playoffs? Tall order, winning 10 but you gotta figure they're gonna beat the Raiders...I'll take our chances against the Steelers...that means we have to beat either the Broncos or the Colts to get to 10 wins. But will that even be enough?
    You will need at least 10 wins to get in with the AFC being so strong. I think KC will take one WC and the other wild card will need at least 10 wins. It may come down to the Bengals or Broncos and the game on Christmas Eve may decide the WC. The division is not over yet either Bengals are 2 games back of Baltimore but next week while the Bengals play the Raiders the Ravens play the Chiefs. That looks like a good chance to gain a game on the Ravens.

I think 10-6 is a legitimate possibility, and that could get us into the playoffs. Oakland and Pittsburgh are both winnable, and Denver is the only team that can really give us problems outside of Indy. However, with a rookie QB at the helm, ill take the Bengals. Not to mention three of our next four are at home.

To deal with what we have had to deal with this season with injuries and the toughest schedule and still make the playoffs would be spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?