Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: SHOULD Chuck Bresnahan keep his job?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It's the players, not the coaching.

5 10.42%
  • NO! Chuck, "Adjustments" is not a four letter word.

43 89.58%

Thread: SHOULD Chuck Bresnahan keep his job?

SHOULD Chuck Bresnahan keep his job?

Nope, nada, no way. We need some new ideas on defense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SHOULD Chuck Bresnahan keep his job?

No way! He's terrible.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I am a Colts fan, he is way better than Ron Meeks.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I am a Colts fan, he is way better than Ron Meeks.
    Who isn't? Honestly, I have no idea how Meeks has kept his job this long.

The majority of the problem lies with the overall talent on defense, but I'll also in favor of getting rid of Chuck and his ultra vanilla schemes.

Other teams have so blatantly been able to overcome the play calling, I see no reason in keeping the guy.

I don't buy the no talent arguement. This team has talent, at least enough to be middle of the pack. But the lack of good gameplans, and good adjustments have taken them to the bottom.

Marvin needs to hire a guy who thinks like his Baltimore defenses did, attack, attack, attack. The guys the Bengals have, except Sam Adams, are smaller and quicker. Use that to your advantage.

If their is a small lack of talent, it can be hidden with smoke and mirrors with aggressiveness until the talent and that defense can be decent until more talent is there and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I don't buy the no talent arguement. This team has talent, at least enough to be middle of the pack. But the lack of good gameplans, and good adjustments have taken them to the bottom.

Marvin needs to hire a guy who thinks like his Baltimore defenses did, attack, attack, attack. The guys the Bengals have, except Sam Adams, are smaller and quicker. Use that to your advantage.

If their is a small lack of talent, it can be hidden with smoke and mirrors with aggressiveness until the talent and that defense can be decent until more talent is there and ready.
    I look at this linebacking corps (minus Thurman) and I don't see much talent. Looking at the defensive line, while they've done better this year against the run, (partially due to teams being able to throw the ball at will against us) I definitely wouldn't rate it any better than average. I know Geathers has 10.5 sacks, but as a unit, they really struggle to get a consistent pass rush, IMO. The New England, Atlanta, Indianapolis and several other games are perfect examples in which we got zero pressure on the quarterback.

As for the defensive backs, I think the safeties are adequate and Jonathan Joseph is going to be a good player, but Tory's well past his prime and Deltha hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was last year (on or off the field). I think the problems are a result of lack of overall talent on that side of the ball and with the scheme they run.

The talent arguement holds water. This teams' most athletic and talented linebackers are currently suspended and heading to retirement respectively. This defense has been gashed by underneath and intermediate routes all year. God bless Caleb Miller, but he is absolutely lost in pass coverage. Ahmed Brooks, is a physical freak but he was not ready for the NFL yet, I look for a ton of improvement from him next year. This team must come up with at least one more linebacker, and possibly and I mean this is a real dilemma, give Thurman another chance. This defense was built for a fast linebacker to flow to the ball, and to clean up, ala Ray Lewis. The lack of fast good linebackers has been the downfall of the defense. Pollack was supposed to provide the pass rushing option from the OLB position. Has a linebacker even gotten free on the QB since he went down? I can't remember seeing it happen. Compounding this is the fact that Justin Smith has hit his free agent year. Normally I would say let him walk, but the Bengals are faced with the prospect of having to come up with a starting defensive end, and a OLB, and a MLB. Simmons, is old slow and steady. Not terms you like to see on your linebackers. Landon Johnson is just fine.

I am not saying that Bresnahan is without blame, but this has been a talent issue. This team first got wind of Thurman's problems, at mini camp, and then the big blow came after the Steeler game. Thurman adds the swagger, and the playmaking ability. Name one other player that has his energy that we have seen in Cincinnati since David Fulcher and Tim Krumrie on defense.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Bresnahan's scheme is perfect for beating dumb coaches and bad quarterbacks. That can only take a team so far.

Can him.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Bresnahan's scheme is perfect for beating dumb coaches and bad quarterbacks. That can only take a team so far.

Can him.
    Amen! Send Tory "toast" James with him too!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Tory James is gone after this year.
    O'Neal's contract is up as well.
    Simmons - old and slow.
    Justin Smith - due for a huge payday in free agency (which is fine with me, because he lacks any sort of pass rush ability).
    Geathers - restricted free agent.
    Kaesviharn - free agent, probably gone.
    Miller & Johnson - free agents, so one is probably gone.
    Thurman - fuhgedabout it. He's done in Cinci.
    Pollack - done.
    Ratliff - not sure about him.
    Greg Brooks - not sure.
    Joseph - starter at CB.
    Williams - starter at S.
    Jackson - starter at S.
    Adams - starter at T.
    Peko - starter at T.
    Ahmad Brooks - starter?
    Robinson - not sure about him.
    Thornton - gone.
    Fanene - not sure.
    Nicholson - in the rotation.

Obviously, a bunch of potential holes on defense for 2007. Add in the loss of Bresnahan who is a complete dumbass, and this defense will look very different next year (hopefully for the better).

They best be drafting the best corner, linebacker, or rush end in rounds 1 through 4, with the hope of a good tight end in there too. I think we lose our 3rd round pick due to the selection of Brooks in the supplemental.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Gruden for DC?

Just throwing things out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Gruden for DC?

Just throwing things out there...
    "Prior to his four seasons in Oakland, Gruden spent 1995-97 as offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles and three years (1992-94) as wide receivers coach for Green Bay Packers. He worked as offensive assistant for the San Francisco 49ers in 1990."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/coaching/TB

Hiring an offensive guy to be the DC is a very Bengals thing to do, but unlikely.

I'd prefer to see Lewis just take the reins himself. There's no up-and-comer I can think of that has the experience and record of success.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Woops....got my coordinators mixed up

My bad.....Gruden for Brat (of course, that wasn't the question proposed)

Turn Off Ads?