Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Paul Brown Stadium is #101 on list of America's Favorite 150 Buildings and Structures

Paul Brown Stadium is #101 on list of America's Favorite 150 Buildings and Structures

From Lance's blog: http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

Honors for PBS

Paul Brown Stadium is the only football stadium to make a list of “America’s favorite 150 buildings and structures,” according to a Harris Interactive survey.

PBS ranked 101st on the list, whose range included all manner of major structures -- skyscrapers, museums, churches, hotels, bridges, national memorials and more. No other football stadium was voted among the top 150, and among all sports venues, only Wrigley Field (31) and Yankee Stadium (84) ranked higher than PBS.

The survey was commissioned by the American Institute of Architects and was published this week by the Wall Street Journal. Results came from a scientifically selected panel of 2000 Americans, who were asked to choose their favorites from photos of 247 “finalist” buildings, which had been selected by a panel of 2500 architects.

Paul Brown Stadium, which opened in 2000, features a futuristic, open design that incorporates views of the Ohio River and Suspension Bridge to the south and downtown Cincinnati to the north.

“For a seven-year-old facility to rank this high is a remarkable tribute,” said Troy Blackburn, Bengals director of business development. “We’re excited and gratified to see our city nationally recognized in this way.”

Cincinnati boasts the only two Ohio buildings on the list, and they are just two miles apart. The historic Union Terminal, striking Art Deco home of the Cincinnati Museum Center complex, is ranked 44th on the overall list.

In all, there were 10 sports facilities on the list of 150. The seven behind Wrigley Field, Yankee Stadium and PBS were AT&T Park in San Francisco (104), Fenway Park in Boston (113), American Airlines Center in Dallas (118), Camden Yards in Baltimore (122), the Astrodome in Houston (134), Safeco Field in Seattle (135) and Ingalls Ice Arena at Yale University (149).

The Empire State Building was rated America’s favorite piece of architecture overall. Reflecting the diversity of candidates, other structures in the overall top 10 included The White House (2), the Golden Gate Bridge (5) and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (10).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Paul Brown Stadium is #101 on list of America's Favorite 150 Buildings and Struct

I am calling the 1-800-JERK hotline on the American Institute of Architects for not ranking it higher!

Re: Paul Brown Stadium is #101 on list of America's Favorite 150 Buildings and Struct

I'm surprised no college football stadiums made the list. The Rose Bowl specifically.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Wow...this is pretty cool. A company I used to work for did a lot of work on PBS, and it was mostly architectural elements. I spent many hours on the PBS worksite doing different things.

In a weird way, I sorta feal proud to be a small part of a project that gets recognized like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I'm surprised no college football stadiums made the list. The Rose Bowl specifically.
    From an architectural perspective, I could see the LA Coliseum up there, and the 'Shoe at Ohio State are pretty distinctive.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?