Turn Off Ads?
Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27677374757677
Results 1,141 to 1,152 of 1152

Thread: 4.9.07 Reds @ Diamondbacks

Re: 4.9.07 Reds @ Diamondbacks

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Ho do you not accept a loss? I don't understand that. That line of thinking has no substance. It's just hot air.

The fact of the matter is, bad losses like this happen no matter what "rah, rah" stuff people say. Contenders have them nearly as often as mediocre and bad teams do. The difference is that they "man up" and win the next day.
    No, no. I agree. The difference between a winner and a loser is you make the moves to insure that you win. But, when it comes to accepting losses, you really don't have to. It might happen, but you fight like the devil to insure you do not. I don't see a lot of fight in this team. No protest of what looked to me like a strike called a ball. No aggressive play in the 9th. OTOH, the D-Backs and their catcher protested the ball and were aggresive all night to the point that they manufactured two runs.

But, no matter, we'll just agree to disagree and go to bed and dream of Kyle Lohse leading us to victory tomorrow so that we can "man up".

Good Lord, that's scary.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    No, no. I agree. The difference between a winner and a loser is you make the moves to insure that you win. But, when it comes to accepting losses, you really don't have to. It might happen, but you fight like the devil to insure you do not. I don't see a lot of fight in this team. No protest of what looked to me like a strike called a ball. No aggressive play in the 9th. OTOH, the D-Backs and their catcher protested the ball and were aggresive all night to the point that they manufactured two runs.

But, no matter, we'll just agree to disagree and go to bed and dream of Kyle Lohse leading us to victory tomorrow so that we can "man up".

Good Lord, that's scary.
    I would disagree slightly with the "no aggressive play in the 9th". Both pinch hitters reached base, and while I would have bunted Hatteberg, I can see logic in letting perhaps the best pure hitter on the team do what he does best. And Phillips unloaded on a pitch and hit it a long way. It just didn't work out. It happens.

But yes, counting on Kyle Lohse to be a losing streak avoider is a bit scary. But it is what it is, and the D-Backs have a rookie going the next two days. It could be worse, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    How do you not accept a loss? I don't understand that. That line of thinking has no substance. It's just hot air..

I think you do it by sitting in front of your TV with your arms crossed and pouting. It helps to stomp your feet up and down and yell out, "we didn't lose. we didn't lose".

All kidding asside, a manager can create an environment where serrious mental lapses or short commings in a players game can be addressed and it made clear that said mistakes are not accepable. The manager can mandate extra work be put into try to correct or minimize the problem. Or taking a different tact, if a player runs through a sign and get thrown out, for example, the manager could go all Lou Pinnela and ream the player out infront of the team to make his point.

But in general, I agree with you. The hole "losing is unacceptable" business is generally hot air, IMO.

Senor Votto

Arizona 3, Cincinnati 2

By ANDREW BAGNATO, AP Sports Writer
    April 10, 2007

PHOENIX (AP) -- Orlando Hudson had an interesting explanation for his tiebreaking, eighth-inning home run Monday night.

"The baseball gods happened to be circling around out there," said Hudson, whose shot off Cincinnati reliever Kirk Saarloos (0-1) gave Arizona a 3-2 victory.

They are smiling on the Diamondbacks, who rallied from a 2-0 sixth-inning deficit to win their fifth straight. The first four wins in the streak came against the lowly Washington Nationals. But on Monday night the Diamondbacks mounted a comeback against Reds starter Bronson Arroyo, who dominated them over the first five innings.

"We don't die," manager Bob Melvin said. "We keep grinding. We expect good things to happen."

Brandon Lyon (1-0) pitched a scoreless eighth inning, retiring Alex Gonzalez on a liner to center field to leave the bases loaded, and Jose Valverde got three outs for his fourth save in five opportunities. Brandon Phillips flew out to the warning track in left with a runner on first for the final out of the game.

Hudson set up the save situation by breaking a 2-2 tie with two out in the eighth. Batting left-handed, the switch-hitting Hudson hit a 2-1 pitch 389 feet into the left-field seats.

Hudson hits third in Melvin's lineup, but with 52 home runs in 627 major league games, he's hardly a prototypical power hitter. The shot off Saarloos (0-1) was his second in eight games this year.

"Power? Look at me," he said, motioning to his svelte 185-pound frame. "It's not expected of me. I'm not Chipper Jones. I'm not David Ortiz."

Saarloos said he threw a changeup that didn't move.

"It was a good pitch to hit and he did what he was supposed to do with it," Saarloos said.

The Diamondbacks won it with the long ball. But they got back in the game with small ball.

Arizona trailed 2-0 in the sixth and had barely touched Arroyo when pinch-hitter Robby Hammock doubled. He took third on Stephen Drew's flyout and scored on Alberto Callaspo's grounder.

The Diamondbacks tied it at 2 one inning later. Chad Tracy led off with a double, went to third on Scott Hairston's sacrifice bunt and scored on Chris Snyder's sacrifice fly.

Hairston's sacrifice was his third in 133 big league games and first since 2004.

"It's probably been three or four years, but if they ask you, you do it," he said.

Arroyo coasted through the first four innings, allowing only a walk to opposing pitcher Doug Davis. Arroyo didn't give up a hit until Conor Jackson's one-out single to center in the fifth.

Arroyo allowed two runs and four hits in seven innings. He struck out four and walked two over 103 pitches. Those are usually the sort of numbers that result in a victory.

"It's one of those games you hate to see slip away," Arroyo said. "I weathered the storm twice, but they got the guy on base, got him over and did what they had to do to tie the game."

Unlike Arroyo, Davis worked out of trouble for much of the night in his first home start as a Diamondback. He allowed runners in each of his first five innings but gave up only two runs.

The Reds took a 1-0 lead in the second when Jeff Conine doubled and scored on a single by Gonzalez.

Cincinnati made it 2-0 in the fourth on David Ross' sacrifice fly to shallow right field.

Davis gave up two earned runs and five hits in six innings. He walked three and struck out four.

"We had some great chances against Doug Davis," Cincinnati manager Jerry Narron said. "We got his pitch count up. We just couldn't get any big hits off him."

Notes

Gonzalez's single in the second extended his hitting streak to five games. He went 2-for-3. ... The Diamondbacks improved to 4-6 in home openers. ... Arizona Sen. John McCain attended the game and sat with Diamondbacks general partner Jeff Moorad. ... The Reds were happy to be in the 81-degree warmth of the desert after playing their last five games in 30-degree temperatures in Cincinnati.

better get used to these kind of games because this team is offensively challenged. To have success they are going to be playansd win a lot of tight games.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    better get used to these kind of games because this team is offensively challenged. To have success they are going to be playansd win a lot of tight games.
    Definetly we don't have the offense that we use to. But I'm glad we have a much better defense and pitching staff to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Definetly we don't have the offense that we use to. But I'm glad we have a much better defense and pitching staff to compensate.
    ... which means Narron's in-game decisions are going to have a much greater impact in the past. In addition, it means the bench will play a greater role. And there is no doubt that the composition of the bench really limits the kind of things Narron can do in late game situations.

Also what does it tell you that the manager PH for his starting CF and leadoff hitter with the game on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    It's just unfortunate that the two aren't causally related.

The offense took a couple ( COUGH, COUGH) big hits without adding anything--as of yet, and the prospects aren't great--to ANY other parts of the team's 'ledger'

The team had it chances yesterday. Chalk it up to another crafty lefthander! Dunn had a poor game at the plate (2 GIDP and almost 3) Freel was dumbfounded as he usually is when he plays everyday. (Jerry use Hamilton) However, I see them scoring at least 5 tonight if not 6. Let's hope thats enough for Loshe!

Davis is tough, and so is the D-Backs bullpen. My guess is that the offense of 2005 would have had a bit of trouble as well. Sometimes the other team is just better than you. It happens.

I'll get worried when the routine ass-beatings commence.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Davis is tough, and so is the D-Backs bullpen. My guess is that the offense of 2005 would have had a bit of trouble as well. Sometimes the other team is just better than you. It happens.

I'll get worried when the routine ass-beatings commence.
    I always look forward to The Routine Ass-Beatings Commencement Day Parade.

I must need sleep because that seemed really funny to me.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Anybody else picturing a Monty Python-esque parade of men kicking each other in the rear. While Pomp and Circumstance plays?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?