Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chris Henry suspended for 8 games

Re: Chris Henry suspended for 8 games

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    If the Bengals were a class orgazination they would have never allowed this to go as far as it did. The Bengals should have released him a long time ago.
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the Bengals hands were tied because of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. The release would have to be related to performance and not off-the-field issues.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OSUmed2010 View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the Bengals hands were tied because of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. The release would have to be related to performance and not off-the-field issues.
    There are ways around that. The Cowboys cut their starting QB a few seasons back during training camp. Failed drug test for cocaine was the rumored reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    There are ways around that. The Cowboys cut their starting QB a few seasons back during training camp. Failed drug test for cocaine was the rumored reason.
    Failing an NFL-sponsored drug test and getting into criminal trouble are 2 different things. If the Bengals had cut Henry citing "criminal charges," I think the PA would've had the Bengals by their balls.

As for appealing the suspensions, the PA also seems to be in agreement with the commissioner so I doubt the suspensions will be reduced. The commish can do whatever he now wants especially since he has the PA on his side. I like the move and hope he continues to do stuff like this to other players in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Failing an NFL-sponsored drug test and getting into criminal trouble are 2 different things. If the Bengals had cut Henry citing "criminal charges," I think the PA would've had the Bengals by their balls.
    Not exaclty. First rule I am learning in college is "Protect your reputation at all cost's for your company." Henry and the rest were downgraded the reputation of the Bengals. Cutting the "problem child" and citing it as "off the field hijinx" would have ruffled feathers but set a tone.

Why don't you do that with Chris Henry? He has a huge amount of talent, sadly he's too immature to use it to his benefiet.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    Not exaclty. First rule I am learning in college is "Protect your reputation at all cost's for your company." Henry and the rest were downgraded the reputation of the Bengals. Cutting the "problem child" and citing it as "off the field hijinx" would have ruffled feathers but set a tone.

Why don't you do that with Chris Henry? He has a huge amount of talent, sadly he's too immature to use it to his benefiet.

They haven't because somebody else would have picked him up and it might have come back to haunt the Bengals.

They say idle hands are the devil's workshop. Looks like he won't be able to practice with the team once the season starts. That's a lot of time on his hands. I guess we'll see how he handles all that free time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by OSUmed2010 View Post
    He has a non-gaurenteed contract, he could have been cut for "salary cap" reasons. The NFPLA is very weak and seems to fold during every chalenge.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Senor Votto

These professional athletes that are from WV are maing us look bad. Next OJ Mayo will be in trouble when he makes it to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    These professional athletes that are from WV are maing us look bad. Next OJ Mayo will be in trouble when he makes it to the NBA.

You still have Jerry West to hang your hat on.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post

As for appealing the suspensions, the PA also seems to be in agreement with the commissioner so I doubt the suspensions will be reduced. The commish can do whatever he now wants especially since he has the PA on his side. I like the move and hope he continues to do stuff like this to other players in the league.
    Not exactly. If you test positive for drugs like cocaine you have been in possession of an illegal drug. Just because charges weren't filed doesn't change the fact that someone broke the law.

He now has more free time on his hands to think about his life and what his goals are. Hope he uses that time wisely and not get in more trouble.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I hope they fight these suspensions, and I hope they win. That's not to say I condone their actions, but I have a real problem with the way the commissioner is handling this. I don't think it's right to create a new policy and then apply it retroactively. This policy is supposed to be a deterrent. How exactly does a policy enacted in early 2007 deter someone from getting arrested in 2006? This is like lowering the speed limit on highways to 50 MPH today, then giving everyone tickets for driving 55 last week. Doesn't hardly seem right, does it?

And let's not forget, Chris Henry has already been suspended last year for the same thing he's being suspended for now. How do you punish someone twice for the same offense? It's not like he's been arrested again since his suspension.

Now that the policy is in effect, if Chris Henry or Pacman did something stupid tomorrow then I've got no problem at all with the league throwing the book at them. They've been acting like idiots, and they'd deserve what they got. But it just is not right to do this retroactively. To me, this is as much about Roger Goodell posturing and grandstanding than it is anything else.
    Because he's the commish, and he's in charge is the reason he can do it. Think Kennesaw Mountain Landis type. And I applaud it wholeheartedly. I wish baseball would do the same. It's time to get losers and criminals out of sports.

Anyone who thinks the Bengals couldn't have gotten rid of Henry one way or another is deluding themselves. They could have dressed it up any number of different ways and there's no way the Player's Association is going to get into a public and protracted battle over Chris bleepin' Henry.

They kept him for one reason and one reason only: He's a hell of a football player and possesses a level of talent that is nigh-impossible to replace.

I just hope Marvin has a twenty-four hour a day, seven day a week baby-sitter picked out for him. Seriously.

At this point I'd actually almost be surprised if Henry ever plays for the Bengals again. Not sure how willing Marvin is gonna be to play him again.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Anyone who thinks the Bengals couldn't have gotten rid of Henry one way or another is deluding themselves. They could have dressed it up any number of different ways and there's no way the Player's Association is going to get into a public and protracted battle over Chris bleepin' Henry.

They kept him for one reason and one reason only: He's a hell of a football player and possesses a level of talent that is nigh-impossible to replace.

I just hope Marvin has a twenty-four hour a day, seven day a week baby-sitter picked out for him. Seriously.
    Everyone is replaceable and why would you want a guy like him on your team? Didnt Carson scream him down atleast once because he wasnt playing hard? He is a black eye to the Bengals and they should just cut him loose.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    He now has more free time on his hands to think about his life and what his goals are. Hope he uses that time wisely and not get in more trouble.

Thanks, RePete.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?