Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2 more years for Freel

Re: 2 more years for Freel

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Of course, Freel is 31 years old and has steady (rather than rising) numbers.
    Hopefully the numbers will stay steady. I'm still concerned that his numbers have declined as a starter (since Last year, at least).

A couple of years ago, the average arbitration raise was 900k. Assuming that is still reasonably close, the Reds probably don't have much potential savings by committing now.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Assuming that is still reasonably close, the Reds probably don't have much potential savings by committing now.
    Agreed. And there's the injury risk.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I may be wrong but I think this signing is to make Freel more of a commodity on the trade market. His salary is now locked up for 2 more seasons, and he is a super-sub. I think if we add another low level prospect, or a bullpen arm, we could probably land a RH bat that we desperatly need.

Glad to have Freely around for a couple more years. Best thing was hearing the positive talk about Josh Hamilton. Freely says if he has to play more infield, so be it. Now that's a TEAM player. He also wants to retire with the Reds. That's always good to hear.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Well, that's better than the 9 million rotoworld guessed at.

However, the upside of this is if Freel plays well, we save some cash.
    The downside is that we might've overpaid for him. He needs to flash some of that OBP he used to have in order to make this deal look good.

I still probably wouldn't have extended him, although 7 million isn't as bad.
    I just don't see him playing so well that he'd sting us for more than that going year to year.
    If Freel has 2 more years like his last one, he might have gotten close to $7M in his last arbitration year alone, when you consider what those type of guys are getting now adays.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    No mention of any team options in 2010? That team option seems to be the Krivsky MO of contract extensions.

For what it's worth - that now gives the Reds $58.225Mil in committed salary for 2008 on 13 players. That figure is including if they pick up the $13mil option on Dunn, the $2.25mil option on Cormier, the $1.85mil option on Hatteberg and the $1.3mil option on Valentin. Without those options it's $39.825mil for 9 players.

And to add a cherry on top - the Reds owe $2.5 mil to Arroyo next season as a signing bonus.

Under Contract
    Arroyo
    Harang
    Weathers
    Stanton
    Ross
    Castro
    Gonzalez
    Freel
    Junior

Option Year
    Cormier
    Hatteberg
    Valentin
    Dunn

Free Agents
    Conine
    Lohse

Arb Eligible
    Sarloos

Pre-Arbitration
    Belisle
    Elizardo
    Majewski
    Bray
    Burton
    Shackelford
    Coffey
    Encarnacion
    Phillips
    Denorfia
    Hamilton
    1. Dunn's option will be picked up if he has a good 2007.

2. Cormier's option will not be picked up.

3. Hat's option will depend on how good a year he has and how good Votto looks this year. Would the Reds what Conine back for 2008? - again depends on what kind of year he has and what Votto does.

4. Valentin's option will depend on how he does this year.

5. Lohse is gone after 2007 unless guys like Belisle & Homer get injured or stink up the joint this year.

- Will

P.S. Freel for 2 years and $7M is a good deal for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I may be wrong but I think this signing is to make Freel more of a commodity on the trade market. His salary is now locked up for 2 more seasons, and he is a super-sub. I think if we add another low level prospect, or a bullpen arm, we could probably land a RH bat that we desperatly need.
    No can do. IMO once Denorfia went down the flexibilty to trade Freel to shore up another spot was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    FWIW, what could be an interesting sidenote is to see this extension stretching through 2009. It could be merely coincidental, or it could be foreshadowing what the Reds may elect to do with Griffey's option in 2009. By this time next year, the question marks surrounding Griffey's option will probably dominate Reds Nation, and there's still no guarantees that Jay Bruce will be ready on Opening Day 2009 (FWIW, I hope he is ready or very close by then). If Ryan Freel can continue putting up a .370 on-base percentage and play a decent outfield, he could allow the Reds to buy out Griffey's option and provide an easy transition (i.e. hopefully not a blockade) for Jay Bruce in 2009.
    I can't believe we've gotten this far without anyone mentioning this signing as a signal of a potential Griffey trade. Not that I personally would even see it that way, but suffice it to say it did occur to me.

Fine signing. I disagree with those who believe he's a dime a dozen...versatility is an incredibly valuable asset to a team, and while it's true that some people mistake his guts for skill, his guts on their own are as good as it gets. guts-wise.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Freel touched on Josh Hamilton in the press conference today. He said that he would expects playing time in the infield in order to get Josh into the lineup.

2.5 million a year is more than fair for Freel.

Wow, the Reds gave him $7 million for 2 years? Another dumb move by the Reds organization.
    Last edited by RBA; 04-16-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Not a big Freel fan, but this is a good deal. As some one said, he's a better player than Juan Pierre and he's making a ton more.

As long as Freel is depth and insurance all around and not plan A for any OF spot (or 3B), this actually gives the team a bonafide plus on the bench. Who'da thunk it?

I was thinking it would take about $6 Million per year for Freel which is why I was so in favor of trading him.

I have to say, I've been critical of WK but he's got 3 pretty good signings of Harang, Arroyo and Freel. Add the Rule 5 steals and the fairly cheap and low risk Bobby Livingston acquistion and WK has done more than I gave credit for. I still hate the Geezers in the bullpen and the Conine deal and am only so so on Gonzo, but WK is winning me back.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-16-2007 at 08:35 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Hopefully
    A couple of years ago, the average arbitration raise was 900k. Assuming that is still reasonably close, the Reds probably don't have much potential savings by committing now.
    I'm not sure if the average has gone up, the average increases as you get closer to FA.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not a big Freel fan, but this is a good deal. As some one said, he's a better player than Juan Pierre and he's making a ton more.

As long as Freel is depth and insurance all around and not plan A for any OF spot (or 3B), this actually gives the team a bonafide plus on the bench. Who'da thunk it?

I was thinking it would take about $6 Million per year for Freel which is why I was so in favor of trading him.

I have to say, I've been critical of WK but he's got 3 pretty good signings of Harang, Arroyo and Freel. Add the Rule 5 steals and the fairly cheap and low risk Bobby Livingston acquistion and WK has done more than I gave credit for. I still hate the Geezers in the bullpen and the Conine deal and am only so so on Gonzo, but WK is winning me back.
    The irony is that the three things you say you dislike (or are "so so" on) are actually working right now.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The irony is that the three things you say you dislike (or are "so so" on) are actually working right now.
    Yeah, but I'm not sure that anything that I see in 2 weeks of 40 degree weather will change my mind about the long term prospects of these guys based on years of track record. That also includes the guys struggling.

Baseball is a warm weather game and cold effects everything from how certain guys hit and how others grip the ball when pitching. Some guys are more impacted than others so I don't believe that anything so far is a trend just yet.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I like this extension of Freel. I think it was a steal only $7M for 2 years.

Turn Off Ads?