Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 2 more years for Freel

Re: 2 more years for Freel

By this time next year, the question marks surrounding Griffey's option will probably dominate Reds Nation ...
    There are no question marks, only explanation points. That is the end. No way -- NONE -- they pick up that option.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think not picking up Jr's option is a slam-dunk no. Now, if he puts together his best 300 games as a Red over the next 2 years, that changes everything, but for now...bye bye Jr after 2008.
    Well the hope is that the Reds elect to buy out Griffey's option, but I won't consider that a slam dunk until it's verified from Krivsky himself that the option won't be picked up. Griffey's a future Hall of Famer, the type of player where sentimental value could come into play, and sentimental value could always trump logic.

Stranger things have happened, and while I hope the option is bought out, I won't believe it until I see it.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

this is a great sign for the reds because he provides depth all across the board (Infield + outfield). I just hope they didn't overpay too much.

Anyone see or hear anything from the press conference?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Didn't he just sign one last season? Not that I'm complaining much, hopefully it's a good deal and makes him more trade able if it comes to that.
    I really hope this makes Freel easier to move now. For 2008, you're looking at OF candidates of Dunn/Hamilton/Denorfia/Bruce and IIRC last year of Griffey's contract? That makes Freel the 6th man, unless he's content with being the super-sub, which I can't imagine he will.

I like this deal, as long as it's not too much. I like having him on the team.

On a side note, I kept noticing the high number of thread views, etc. but the Sticky totally caught me off guard. No wonder.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    Could this have been for the fans? I know someone who would boycott the Reds if they ever unloaded Freel.
    If this move was b/c of fan base, then Sean Casey would still be a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    That's nothing. 8+ million for a fifth starter is way too much!
    True, but one dumb move can't be used to justify another.

4.5 million for a 4th OF is foolish. The jury is still out on whether Freel is only a 4th OF, but that's how I see him. Thus, I dislike this move. Too much risk.

Has anyone figured out if Freel would've been eligible for FA after this year? I don't think he would've been.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Insurance policy for Junior getting injured, Hamilton falling flat and reverting back to what he was: an old A-baller, or Chris Denorfia never getting back on the horse after his injury.

If either of those happen, then the Reds are short an OF -- with still probably 2 more years until the cavalry (Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs) come charging in from the minors.
    That's an expensive insurance policy. You can't cover every contingency. It's just not possible. Even the Yankees don't.

Not to mention, I don't think Freel was eligible for FA after this season anyway. Therefore, the Reds had the luxury of seeing how well he handled the starting job for a full year before committing.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Has anyone figured out if Freel would've been eligible for FA after this year? I don't think he would've been.
    He has 2 years after this until free agency.

good signing, i love ryan freel and the hustle he brings to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I like the move but 6 M would be way too much.

You can't put a price on scrappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He has 2 years after this until free agency.
    Thanks.. so it looks like Wayne is gambling that Freel is on the rise and he's getting a bargain now, because there's no risk of FA..

The Reds just commited a bunch of money that they didn't have to. I like this move even less. It would be more justifiable if Freel was a FA at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Thanks.. so it looks like Wayne is gambling that Freel is on the rise and he's getting a bargain now, because there's no risk of FA..
    Wayne basically bought out his arb years.

Per Fay

The contract is worth a total of $7 million over the two years -- $3 million '08; $4 million for '09.

Freel was Freel at the press conference: Humble, rambling, amusing and very complimentary of Josh Hamilton. Some highlights:

"I'm very happy to be where I'm at. I couldn't be in a better organization. I've said it from Day 1. I want to end my career here. This is another step closer to that."

"It's a dream come true." (he said that about 19 times).

"Reality is still setting in. I couldn't be any more happier. When I first came over here as Red, I didn't know what was going to happen in the spring. I battled. I didn't make the team out of spring. But fortunately, with the grace of God, I've been able to stick around for a few years."

"I've said it a million times, but the fans of Cincinnati have treated me . . . it's been unbelievable."

"All I can control is how hard I play on the field. I think the fans of Cincinnati respect that. I've said it before: It doesn't take talent, you don't have to be a superstar to play the game the way it's supposed to be play. It shows it came be rewarding if you do the things you're supposed to do in this game. How hard is it to run balls out and dive for a couple of balls? It's all about heart and desire. The only thing that could top this is us winning the World Series."

"The money's great. But a World Series would be better."

"We have the players here. Wayne has done a great job of getting players over here. The best one -- we really haven't seen as much people would like to see -- is Josh Hamilton. It might mean me playing more infield. I don't have a problem with that. That kid is going to help us win. He's an unbelievable player."

"I will still play the game the way it's supposed to be played. That's what people expect. They don't expect much."

Jerry Narron: "I hear from people all the time saying the love the way Ryan Freel plays. I'm tired of that. I want to say they love the way the Cincinnati Reds play."

Wayne Krivsky: "I'm not a afraid anytime -- if it makes sense to both parties. . . I like getting deals done. Put the contract aside for two years and go play."

Turn Off Ads?