Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griffey striking out less, walking more

Griffey striking out less, walking more

I think Jr. is still hurt which explains why he isn't really hitting the ball hard. But his OBP is pretty high because of all the walks. What is interesting is how the numbers suggest he has also changed his aggressiveness at the plate. Last year he had a walk every 10 AB's (39 walks in 428 AB's). This year he walks nearly once in every 4 AB's (9 in 42 AB's). And look at the drop in strikeouts. Last year he struck out about once every 5.5 AB's (78 out of 428). This year he has only struck out 3 times in 42 AB's.

Is this a small sample size issue that will correct? Is he not getting pitches to hit, correctly not chasing them, and taking the walks given? Is this a guy that's hurt and won't swing the bat? Or is this reflective of a guy who believes he can't drive the ball, has stopped trying and is now simply trying to get on base?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey striking out less, walking more

There's really no need to give him anything good to hit as long as Edwin Encarnacion is struggling as badly as he is. He doesn't have any protection in the lineup, thus pitchers are not going to give him anything good to hit.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    There's really no need to give him anything good to hit as long as Edwin Encarnacion is struggling as badly as he is. He doesn't have any protection in the lineup, thus pitchers are not going to give him anything good to hit.
    I'd be begging him to swing the bat if I were pitching right now.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

He has a 22/10 gb to fb ratio so that seems to tell me that when he swings he is going for the big fly. This ratio if it held up would be the lowest in his career.

I don't have the numbers, but it also seems that Dunn is getting a higher proportion of singles and doubles relative to last year's "all or nothing" --- big fly or K -- season.

He's second in the league in homeruns and fourth in the league in strikeouts.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Griffey has a similar Line Drive percentage as he has in the past, 15.4%. His groundball% is much lower tha usual at 28.2%. Previous years it has been 37, 34 and 42%.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I'd be begging him to swing the bat if I were pitching right now.
    Why? Why give him something to hit when hitters behind him are struggling so badly?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    He's second in the league in homeruns and fourth in the league in strikeouts.
    and tied for 1st in grounding into double plays
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    and tied for 1st in grounding into double plays
    The bum doesn't have a sac fly yet this year either.

Why? Why give him something to hit when hitters behind him are struggling so badly?
    Because he's not hitting anything hard. The last thing you want to do when a guy is struggling like this is to walk him.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I think Jr. is still hurt which explains why he isn't really hitting the ball hard. But his OBP is pretty high because of all the walks. What is interesting is how the numbers suggest he has also changed his aggressiveness at the plate. Last year he had a walk every 10 AB's (39 walks in 428 AB's). This year he walks nearly once in every 4 AB's (9 in 42 AB's). And look at the drop in strikeouts. Last year he struck out about once every 5.5 AB's (78 out of 428). This year he has only struck out 3 times in 42 AB's.

Is this a small sample size issue that will correct? Is he not getting pitches to hit, correctly not chasing them, and taking the walks given? Is this a guy that's hurt and won't swing the bat? Or is this reflective of a guy who believes he can't drive the ball, has stopped trying and is now simply trying to get on base?
    While no one can really know, I'd say it's more that his wrist is still a little weak. As for getting on base, I think last year was a fluke in that matter and he is returning to career norms in terms of patience at the plate. He's not going to lead the league in walks or anything, but the guy has a .374 lifetime OBP. IMO Griffey is going to have an excellent season once his wrist returns to full strength.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I believe it could be a combination of the weak wrist and simply that in some ways, he's still in Spring Training mode. He's several weeks behind other players in terms of at-bats. We know that he's taking extra batting practice (as usual). Still, it seems to me that there's no substitute for actual live pitching.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Because he's not hitting anything hard. The last thing you want to do when a guy is struggling like this is to walk him.
    Thats simply not true. He is hitting line drives at the same rate he has the past 3 seasons. He has about 5 warning track outs... you dont hit the ball that far without hitting it hard.

Would having Hamilton hit behind Griffey help him get a better offering of pitches, and if he does get the pitches does he still have the bat speed to turn on balls like he did in his prime?

Turn Off Ads?