Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting the itch? Read ORG Great Post.

One Man Army

Re: Getting the itch? Read ORG Great Post.

Terrific read.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Another vote for greatest post ever
    Let's make some noise!

Still brings a tear to my eye. Does anyone have a picture of the GABP brick?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Still brings a tear to my eye. Does anyone have a picture of the GABP brick?
    Here's the thread w/pic and location...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ighlight=brick
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Here's the thread w/pic and location...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ighlight=brick
    Wow...I've read this post before, but I've never seen the brick. What a great quotation. Forgive my ignorance, but where does that come from? Was it an ORG quote or is it from somewhere else?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've only been around since about Turkey day of '06. I know this forum was named in ORG's honor but know very little history. Would some of the guys who were around in the beginning care to give some background/history about ORG and maybe some of the other "oldtimers"?
    I second this. I need some more info on him!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Wow...I've read this post before, but I've never seen the brick. What a great quotation. Forgive my ignorance, but where does that come from? Was it an ORG quote or is it from somewhere else?
    It was an excerpt from one of his poems. Give me a few minutes and I'll try and dig up the poem in its entirety.

Edit: I was unable to find it. I think the board crashes over the years have taken their toll. Most of the links to threads I searched for are no longer valid.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

"I'd see a ballgame and he'd see a ballet, an opera and a metaphor for life being lived out on the diamond."
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    "I'd see a ballgame and he'd see a ballet, an opera and a metaphor for life being lived out on the diamond."
    That was a quote from his son, also a poster here for a while.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

He wrote some fantastic stuff about his father and his own youth too.

We were very lucky to know him.

He was a baseball man for the ages.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks WOY.

I loved ORG.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Hello all. I've logged on to thank you for your respects to my father. I couldn’t get it to work, however. It took my screenname RoyalsReds, but says I don’t have access. So I figured I’d get through this way if you don’t mind. I’m writing about my dad. You knew him as Old Red Guard. To us kids (he had 5 of us, 3 boys, 2 girls and 10 grandchildren, 7 great grandchildren) he was Poppa. My brother and Mom told me about you guys - I had to look you up but I was stunned to log on and find RIP to my dad was the first post listed. Wow! I read through it yesterday but had to wait til today to write. I cried like a baby. Well, what can I say? Poppa was always telling us stories about baseball - in fact I used to cringe when he'd get started. I'd give my left arm to hear those stories now. He was my coach, my son's coach and my grandson's coach. I read about the oven mitts. That's true. It weas how he began every spring. And he'd belt the ball at you. Except it was a rubber ball! He wouldn't tell us the first day and the new players would duck - the rest of us would laugh our tails off. He was hard nosed. His brother lives in Loveland and tells me the time they were playing in Legion ball long ago and my uncle stole second. Poppa was the shortstop and trotted over and told him hey, nice job but its a foul ball - whereupon my uncle headed back to first and my dad promptly ran over and tagged him out. Uncle Russ still hollers about that. But I'm your brother! To which Poppa always replied - Brother hell, this is baseball!

He was a curmudgeon. He hated everything new. Then 2 days later he'd know more about it than anyone in the family. Damn computers! Everythings computerized he'd growl. Then I'd get an email from him with a powerpoint attachment. Damn cable TV, he'd growl. Then he'd call and invite me over to watch one of the umpteen hundred and five sports channels he'd subscribed to on his flat screen.

He was born in 1929, in October. He always said he was born and the world went to hell in a handbasket. He could flat out write. Stories, poetry, letters. All us kids have a bit of his talent. I can write reasonably but not the way he could make you see things. He quit school in the 7th grade, or maybe the 8th. He said that was about the equivalent of high school and high school was like college today and college then was like having a masters degree today. He was the smartest person I've ever known - he read everything from cereal boxes to books. If it had print he'd read it. But his poetry is just great. He wrote about baseball - and life and love and mostly always it lifts you up - he was always funny or optimistic about everything - even when he grouched it was with a twist that made you see things differently. That was really his talent. I'd see a ballgame and he'd see a ballet, an opera and a metaphor for life being lived out on the diamond.

Anyway, thank you - each one who wrote a kind response. I took the liberty of printing it all out for mom to read. She was always his practical half - she'd keep him grounded and he'd give her the chance to fly once in awhile. And right now she's still lost. They were married 56 years. Maybe your words will help her smile. She made a 25.00 contribution - just a thank you.

You can address replies to Mrs. Marie Elledge at elledge@magiccablepc.com. She will respond but it may take her a bit – usually me or my brother have to be here to help her with the computer.

Thank You,

C.Jay Elledge, Jr.
    I found this in the archives, but not much else. We have lost the "Another Era" poem his son posted. If anyone was smart enough to save it, please post it.

GL

If I ever make it to heaven, I like to think there will be a replica of Crosley Field there, and occasionally I'll find myself watching a game seated next to ORG.

Of course, as the old joke goes, there won't be baseball in heaven because of the lack of umpires..
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    If I ever make it to heaven, I like to think there will be a replica of Crosley Field there, and occasionally I'll find myself watching a game seated next to ORG.

Of course, as the old joke goes, there won't be baseball in heaven because of the lack of umpires..
    They went Questec eons ago.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?