Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: 4-20-2007 Reds vs Phillies

Re: 4-20-2007 Reds vs Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    But I think we can all agree with: I would be more than happy if Lohse's bad outings are only 4 runs in 7 IP. While not the best night, that type of outing keeps you in the game and give the Reds a chance to win. Obviously I wouldn't be satisfied with that type of performace everynight, however, if that's a definition of a Kyle Lohse offnight, I'll take it.
    Agreed 100%. The question is whether that statement will hold true.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    He did not pitch very well in the fist 2 games. He was pretty fortunate in the luck department and his ERA was not indicative of that.

For the record, I am probably the biggest Lohse supporter here. I liked him as a target in a possible trade when the deadline approached. I liked the trade when it happened. I liked the contract we gave him. I was happy to see him handed a rotation spot for this season. He has done nothing but pitch very effectively since becoming a Red so you don't need to convince me.

But you got to be able to be call a spade a spade. ERA is not the best stat to measure performance and he was not great the first two starts. The last 2 he has flat out dominated, and overall he has been very good. However, don't expect that ERA to stay under 2 very long.
    That's not fair either. In his second game he made one mistake in the first inning, that caused a 3 run home run, and then dominated. I was at his first game, and he gave up hits but nothing was hit really hard. In reality he's only made a few bad pitches all year.

Quote Originally Posted by geniusMoment View Post
    That's not fair either. In his second game he made one mistake in the first inning, that caused a 3 run home run, and then dominated. I was at his first game, and he gave up hits but nothing was hit really hard. In reality he's only made a few bad pitches all year.
    Yeah, but in that first game he didn't have "command" of his pitches. He looked pretty unsure of what he was throwing, and trying way too hard to make the perfect pitch. But that could have just been first game jitters, and since then he's looked much more confident in his stuff. I really think that having a full offseason with the Reds to work on his change-up has helped him more than anything. His change-up is so much better than it was last year and he has the confidence to throw it more often this year. And when you've got a fastball in the low to mid 90s and a good change-up, you're going to keep hitters off balance all night.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?