Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: "I Am A Transsexual Sportswriter."

Re: "I Am A Transsexual Sportswriter."

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I'm just realizing that there's a lot more grey in life that I first wanted to admit.
    Just For Men gets rid of the grey.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Consider me another resident "traditionalist" on this board. I believe in right vs wrong, good vs evil and fact vs fiction. Today's culture makes a lot of things more complicated than they really are in that they like to paint nearly everything gray.
    Or, as our society progresses onwards, we come to understand that things we used to think of as clear-cut issues aren't that quite so much. Minorities aren't inferior to whites, women should vote and have the same opportunities as men, homosexuals shouldn't be discriminated against simply because of whom they sleep with, etc.

Understanding and tolerance are good things and should be embraced, not fought against. That's not to say some things aren't still "wrong" or "bad", but when it comes to issues of morality and personal choice, the one thing we're doing better with overall is a societal understanding that the rightness or wrongness of an issue isn't quite so "black and white." Even if there are a few people who have yet to get on that bus...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    That's not to say some things aren't still "wrong" or "bad", but when it comes to issues of morality and personal choice, the one thing we're doing better with overall is a societal understanding that the rightness or wrongness of an issue isn't quite so "black and white." Even if there are a few people who have yet to get on that bus...

I'd say there are very few who are not on board with women voting and equal rights for every citizen. In fact those are black and white issues. You make my point.

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Just For Men gets rid of the grey.
    Mr. Connine can attest to that!

I'd say there are very few who are not on board with women voting and equal rights for every citizen. In fact those are black and white issues. You make my point.
    Are you saying it was always that way?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

With regards to making points, I think you completely missed mine.

Of course today we see such things as equal rights for minorities as a "clear cut, black and white" issue. No one, you argue, can honestly be against such things without being a racist or bigot.

But how quickly we forget that such a belief was not always the case. How quickly we forget that written into the very document that sets forth the rights of the citizens of this country was an amendment which classified blacks as sub-human. How quickly we forget that barely 40 years ago people staged violent protests to prevent the integration of public schools--believing (correctly, in their minds) of the inherent inferiority of blacks to whites.

How quickly we forget that jobs used to be denied to people based solely upon their race, or their gender, or their sexual orientation. This isn't ancient history--many of these things took place in our or our parent's lifetimes.

Society marches ever onwards, to the consternation of some. And as I said, respect and tolerance are good things to have, even when it has to do with traits or practices that we don't understand.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Society marches ever onwards, to the consternation of some. And as I said, respect and tolerance are good things to have, even when it has to do with traits or practices that we don't understand.

As a social worker I feel it is my duty to provide some knowledge on the subject of the Transgender. Perhaps through this knowledge some posters replying to this thread will show some tolerance.

Definition of Transgender: Transexuals are defined as people who find their gender identity -- their sense of themselves as male or female -- in conflict with their anatomical sex. Some transexuals may live part-time in their self-defined gender. Many desire to live fully in their self-identified gender. Some undergo hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery.

Just for a second imagine that you are living a lie, trapped in someone elses body or mind. Never fully realizing your potential and always too scared to realize that you are not whom you seem to be. You are stressed at work and at home. You are deppressed and no doctor can give you answers, because you know deep down inside what the answer is. How do I tell my wife, my family, friends. What will their reactions be. All these questions go through ones minds until finally the day comes when it is time to make that crucial decision and get on with life. Transgenders go through this hell everday until they finally admit to who they are.

Treatments Hormone therapy: which contrary to popular belief insurance companies will not cover due to the fact that it is an elective procedure not a necessity.

Surgeries: cost can range from 7,000 to 15,000 for female to male from 40,000 to 70,000 for male to female and again it is an elective surgery

What to call them: What they feel most comfortable being called, they will tell you.

Bathroom: Shouldn't you be more interested in getting out of the bathroom than who has a penis and a vagina? Really I have more important things to do like type on Redszone while working.

In closing here is a copy of an anology which might help people understand a bit better:"There's an imbalance in the brain, and prozac helps people to feel a sense of balance: it relieves the imbalance. Hormone therapy can do the same thing for a transgender person. The stress and turmoil of this imbalance in a person can be like poison. Producing testosterone because you have testicles producing male hormones creates tension."

Knowledge leads to tolerance which hopefully will lead to a more understanding society.

100 years ago this was not a black and white issue in any way, shape, or form.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If and when he/she starts dating, will they be forward and upfront and let that person know? Should they?
    I've been on the road for a few days so I'm sort of 'late to the party' on all of the things that happened over the weekend but, relative to Mike/Christine, my understanding is that she is already married (to another LA Times staffer). As to whether or not they have any children or what their relationship is at this time, I have no knowledge.

Were she single and dating, should she let the other person know? From my perspective, if this is just a 'one-time movies and popcorn thing', then it's her call. If it's going to go further then, IMO, that needs to be part of all the things that need to be said to foster trust, loyalty, caring and all of the other bonds that establish a long-term relationship for both people.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Are you saying it was always that way?
    Not at all.

Are you saying these issues were not heavily debated 230 years ago? This was not a black/white issue at our country's inception. Our founding fathers struggled with this and thanks to our wonderful system, this wrong was righted. After much debate it was decided that the southern states would not agree to a Constitution giving equal rights to blacks or women. The 14th Amendment changed that and granted equal rights to both women and people of any race.

No one is saying that there are no wrongs that need to be righted. That's why we have a Legislative and Judicial branch of government.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I'd say that previous societies throughout history accepted way more than we do today. It only seems that way to us because we're a relatively young society coming from a puritan background.
    Bingo.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?