Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    We had a few people break well known board rules then spend more time complaining about how the rules are stupid. Then people starting complaining about rep points which led to other people complaining about how they have lost rep points and what they lost points for.

As far as the rules go if you don't like the rules here go elsewhere. No one is forcing you to post here but game threads are not the place to complain about the rules of the board.

As far as rep points go if you have a problem PM the person that gave you rep points or ignore it.
    This all nailed the worst parts of the 'game thread' last night, IMO.

For the newbs: You don't talk about rep points!!

The most unfortunate and disturbing part of last night's gamethread is that many of those most passionately and virulently whining about rep points are people who absolutely SHOULD know better.

Additionally, saying "so-and-so SUCKS" is about as intellectually lazy and uninspired as you can get and it doesn't add a damn thing to the gamethread.

I think one of the best aspects of the game threads is sharing in an experience--both the highs and the lows--of one of my favorite things, Cincinnati Reds baseball. I like the off-the-cuff humor, griping, and analysis, but things have been going way, way overboard lately and I don't want the best members of this site run off because of that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    This all nailed the worst parts of the 'game thread' last night, IMO.

For the newbs: You don't talk about rep points!!
    It seems like it happens on an almost nightly basis. It never ceses the amaze me that people even care enough about rep points to make it an issue. Just post your stuff. If someone likes it they'll rep you. If not, and they mean that much to you, make it a point to post better stuff.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I have to agree. I've found myself gravitating away from game threads and away from posting in others because of this trend.
    i agree 100%
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

"A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch."

Dean Wormer
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Dean Wormer
    I knew that didn't sound right. Here is the actual quote

Dean Vernon Wormer: Well, well, well. Looks like somebody forgot there's a rule against alcoholic beverages in fraternities on probation!
    Otter: What a tool.
    Dean Vernon Wormer: I didn't get that, son, what was that?
    Otter: Uh, I said, "What a shame that a few bad apples have to spoil a good time for everyone by breaking the rules."
    Dean Vernon Wormer: Put a sock in it, boy, or else you'll be outta here like ____ through a goose.

Dean Wormer
    You're talking about Delta, sir.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    I knew that didn't sound right. Here is the actual quote

Dean Vernon Wormer: Well, well, well. Looks like somebody forgot there's a rule against alcoholic beverages in fraternities on probation!
    Otter: What a tool.
    Dean Vernon Wormer: I didn't get that, son, what was that?
    Otter: Uh, I said, "What a shame that a few bad apples have to spoil a good time for everyone by breaking the rules."
    Dean Vernon Wormer: Put a sock in it, boy, or else you'll be outta here like ____ through a goose.
    Yeah, I knew it - I was gonna add or "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life, son" but figured you guys would get the gist of it.

I didn't expect anyone to go digging for the whole damn quote!!!

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Yeah, I knew it - I was gonna add or "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life, son" but figured you guys would get the gist of it.

I didn't expect anyone to go digging for the whole damn quote!!!

Well, we do have standards here, you know.

Dean Wormer: Mr. Kroger: two C's, two D's and an F. That's a 1.2 grade average. Congratulations, Kroger. You're at the top of the Delta pledge class. Mr. Dorfman?

Flounder: Hello!

Dean Wormer: Zero point two... Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Mr. Hoover, president of Delta house? One point six; four C's and an F. A fine example you set! Daniel Simpson Day... HAS no grade point average. All courses incomplete. Mr. Blu - MR. BLUTARSKY ... ZERO POINT ZERO.

Prolly my favorite scene from the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    last year we had a game thread in the Reds Live forum that degenerated into what we saw tonight. Do we need two game threads? Apparently we do. I'm as annoying as the next person, but what went on tonight was shameless. I quit in the 4th inning. It's just too much for me to bare.
    If I don't participate in the game thread, I later read the last page first and then go back to fill in any gaps I may have in mind. Last night, the last page told me all I wanted to know.

I'm asking this question because I didn't read the thread... was the problem percipitated by new posters, old posters, or a pretty even mix of the two?

I never liked the idea of two game threads; it's like telling the folks on Reds Live that they're too stupid to discuss the game intelligently so "pardon me, but I don't want to 'play' with you".

Many of our new posters appear to be pretty savvy baseball fans. Others are very interesting posters but will never reach 200 rep points merely because they don't post often enough... but when they do, they're worth the read.

Bottom line... it's not fair to leave them out because they don't have enough rep points.

Paintmered's solution sounds fair without regressing to two game threads. Deal with the problem posters instead of punishing everyone.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Well, we do have standards here, you know.
    Any saying that movie is on at some point every weekend of the year, you can get pretty good at knowing who said what.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    If I don't participate in the game thread, I later read the last page first and then go back to fill in any gaps I may have in mind. Last night, the last page told me all I wanted to know.

I'm asking this question because I didn't read the thread... was the problem percipitated by new posters, old posters, or a pretty even mix of the two?

I never liked the idea of two game threads; it's like telling the folks on Reds Live that they're too stupid to discuss the game intelligently so "pardon me, but I don't want to 'play' with you".

Many of our new posters appear to be pretty savvy baseball fans. Others are very interesting posters but will never reach 200 rep points merely because they don't post often enough... but when they do, they're worth the read.

Bottom line... it's not fair to leave them out because they don't have enough rep points.

Paintmered's solution sounds fair without regressing to two game threads. Deal with the problem posters instead of punishing everyone.
    TB:

It was a few new posters and a couple of old posters, too. Truth was, and is, some outrageous things are being said in the game threads these days. I went back to see the ages of some of the posters and found what I feared. a lot of them are very young. I think they need to understand that this is not a chat room where they can say anything they want about anyone and when it gets tough apologize by saying "my bad" and everyone loves one another again. Teenagers kills me.

I'm negative I know, and I'm working on this daily, but it was a horrid experience last night and really all year.

Someone who shall remain nameless sent me an email the other night and said, "If Griffy would just retire, dunn could be traded, Milton could be DFA'd, etc. the game thread would return to normal". I told him no. There will be goats to replace them in these teenybopper's eyes. And some adults too, i might add.

At my age, I've given up hope for another WS championship in my lifetime and I'm not that old. It's time to enjoy the baseball without worrying about who sucks and how much.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I'm negative I know, and I'm working on this daily

At my age, I've given up hope for another WS championship in my lifetime and I'm not that old.
    Glad to see you are making progress....

All kidding around asside, I understand completley where you are comming from on this WVReds

nm
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

TB:

It was a few new posters and a couple of old posters, too. Truth was, and is, some outrageous things are being said in the game threads these days. I went back to see the ages of some of the posters and found what I feared. a lot of them are very young.

At my age, I've given up hope for another WS championship in my lifetime and I'm not that old. It's time to enjoy the baseball without worrying about who sucks and how much.
    I had the same thought WVR and I also did a random check of ages and came up with similar results.

I'm probably a lot older than you but I haven't given up hope for another World Championship in my lifetime. Heck with advances in cryogenics, I think I've still got a shot.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?