Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I just wanted to quote this because I think we're on the exact same wavelength. There are posters I pay a lot of attention to with very high rep totals and low rep totals. And there are posters I don't really read much with very high rep totals and low rep totals. I'm not basing the value of the poster on the rep number, but what I get out of that person's posts.
    Agreed. I like the search function. I can go and search for all "Danny Serafini" posts and I'm good for the day.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I love Wily Mo. Over the years I've found there's just some oil and water combinations, perhaps that's what you've got there. FWIW, a few years ago I went from clashing with one poster consistently (Steel and we were brutal to each other) to getting along with quite well. Side question, when's Steel coming back? I miss that guy. - Doh! Missed the joke. Sorry about that.

As for the first part, you're talking about a pack of inveterate boundary pushers. If anything, the original group has gotten more tame over the years. You should have seen the fur that was flying around here in 2001-03. Those were our Deadwood days.

Everyone's buying this disdain for Wily Mo a little too easily, IMO!!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    One of the interesting things (to me anyway) is that 'Live' consistently has more posts/threads than does ORG---and they are written, very heavily, by ORG members. I think that this reflects a desire by most posters to expose their thoughts/opinions to the most people and to accept feedback on them.

So, my question is: If most posters ignore ORG to open up to the wider community on 'Live', just how much value is ORG? I'd like to hear some discussion on this aspect because it's something we've not talked about much.

Rem
    This is a fantastically interesting discussion, although I know the old timers are probably totally bored since it happens every year.

All of the threads I start go into Reds Live! for the exact reason you gave. I want everybody to have a chance to comment on them.

That said, lots of the threads I start are "light weight" threads. That is, I love the "what's your favorite....." type threads, or imaginary scanarios because I love to hear people talking/posting about baseball in general. Whether you've been around from day 1 or this is your day 1, you can contribute and there is very little controversy so no aguments insue. Frankly, while I enjoy creating threads, most of them are not ORG worthy.

Now, someone like Cyclone, for example, he posts some heavy weight threads. Lots of indepth statistical research, charts, graphs, etc. That should be in ORG because people want to discuss the numbers without it falling apart into a "stats suck" debate. That can happen on Reds Live.

Long winded answer but threads that are worthy of serrious discussion without the noise of "Dunn is the sux" should go into ORG. Otherwise, Reds Live is a perfect place for the thread so all have a chance to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I'd like to hear what the owners think.
    They don't; not since early 2006, anyway, when they were bought out by a consortium of shady New Zealanders and Pete Rose supporters for ten cases of rye whiskey and a song.

The song, by the way, was "The Sign."

Damn good song. For Swedes, anyway.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I love Wily Mo. Over the years I've found there's just some oil and water combinations, perhaps that's what you've got there. FWIW, a few years ago I went from clashing with one poster consistently (Steel and we were brutal to each other) to getting along with quite well. Side question, when's Steel coming back? I miss that guy.

As for the first part, you're talking about a pack of inveterate boundary pushers. If anything, the original group has gotten more tame over the years. You should have seen the fur that was flying around here in 2001-03. Those were our Deadwood days.
    I want Steel back too. Dude is a genius when it comes to analyzing baseball.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Maybe the upper limit on rep should be set to whatever the number is to get into ORG. Once you get to 200, or whatever, you can't go any higher. You can always, however, come down if you start acting up and get negged.
    I think the number serves to show people how what type of information people regard as worthy of rep.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Agreed. I like the search function. I can go and search for all "Danny Serafini" posts and I'm good for the day.
    Wow, that's got to make for one boring day!

By Danny Sarafini:

"...in the very early days of this system you could give a neutral rep. I'd really like to see that option return."

I'd like that too.

Rem

This is a fantastically interesting discussion, although I know the old timers are probably totally bored since it happens every year.

All of the threads I start go into Reds Live! for the exact reason you gave. I want everybody to have a chance to comment on them.

That said, lots of the threads I start are "light weight" threads. That is, I love the "what's your favorite....." type threads, or imaginary scanarios because I love to hear people talking/posting about baseball in general. Whether you've been around from day 1 or this is your day 1, you can contribute and there is very little controversy so no aguments insue. Frankly, while I enjoy creating threads, most of them are not ORG worthy.

Now, someone like Cyclone, for example, he posts some heavy weight threads. Lots of indepth statistical research, charts, graphs, etc. That should be in ORG because people want to discuss the numbers without it falling apart into a "stats suck" debate. That can happen on Reds Live.

Long winded answer but threads that are worthy of serrious discussion without the noise of "Dunn is the sux" should go into ORG. Otherwise, Reds Live is a perfect place for the thread so all have a chance to contribute.
    Interesting way to look at it. However, I have doubts that most people segragate their posts that way. (shrug) Ohhh, all right, all, right....

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Interesting way to look at it. However, I have doubts that most people segragate their posts that way. (shrug) Ohhh, all right, all, right....

Rem
    Despite your doubts, that's usually the way I divide them as well. Maybe that's just the way Ltlabner and I do it, but I really would find that hard to believe. If it's something stat-heavy (which isn't often for me) and I don't want people saying "you're a stupid stat-geek, watch the game," then I put it in ORG. Otherwise, all of the threads I start go into Reds Live so everyone can discuss them.

BTW, I love this guy . I don't think he's 'dweeby' at all. Reminds me of Steven Van Zandt on the Sopranos.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I actually do segregate threads that I start that way. If I've got a question or a comment that will require a more thought out discussion I'll put it in ORG. If it's a lighter topic or general news I'll put it in Live where everyone can get at it. That said, most of my stuff will go into Live because I don't have the analytical depth that others here do.

Honestly, I doubt a single person on that list would act any differently. I'm 100% positive those people would post the same as they do now and not give a rip if it was in the ORG or Red Live. There's a reason why RedsZone became the phenomenon it did in the first place, because you had a large group of Reds fans who weren't shy about writing down what they think.

My guess is if you polled every single person on the board with more than 400 rep points whether they ever think about rep when they're making a post, you'd get a 100% response rate of no. I tend to view the assemblage we've got on the ORG as inevitable. We accept you, one of us.
    I never even knew what rep points were until about 2-3 months ago, nor had I even hear about them. I also didn't know there was a chatroom you could go to until today. And I've been speaking with all of you since 1995 as the forums have migrated. I kept losing my passwords and so "BlazerBenner" became "Eric_Davis", but those with long memories (the elephants, I guess), like M2, know my history, such as thinking Jason Lane would be better than he is, and other things . Anyway, I agree that most people don't really think about it at all.

FWIW, I haven't viewed as many sites as many or most of you, but when I did go searching other fan sites in the past, I contiunally found the best of them to be the worst that our sites here ever get.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

This thread has been very therapeutic for me. It's nice to be able to discuss things like this without the appearance of shouting, arguing, etc. It actually "feels" like people are listening to each other and responding (hey! novel concept). It's been awhile since I felt like that on this board.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    This thread has been very therapeutic for me. It's nice to be able to discuss things like this without the appearance of shouting, arguing, etc. It actually "feels" like people are listening to each other and responding (hey! novel concept). It's been awhile since I felt like that on this board.
    Whatever.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    And, thus, the opposite of last night.

Folks, we can lose the good posters if the stuff that was going on in the game thread continues (and about 80% of what goes on in Live). Just my opinion of course, but when was the last time you saw RFS62 and many others post in the game thread?

I rest my case.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?