Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Can someone tell me the date that 'rep points' were instituted?

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Can someone tell me the date that 'rep points' were instituted?

Rem
    5/2/2005

Thanks for the info Boss. I kind of thought it was around two years but I didn't know for sure.

So. We're coming up on a two year aniversary. There's been a lot of discussion, ideas and opinions in this thread. Is there consideration going on as to tweaking the system relative to what was expressed in this thread or was this exercise for naught?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Thanks for the info Boss. I kind of thought it was around two years but I didn't know for sure.

So. We're coming up on a two year aniversary. There's been a lot of discussion, ideas and opinions in this thread. Is there consideration going on as to tweaking the system relative to what was expressed in this thread or was this exercise for naught?

Rem
    Yes, there's consideration. That's something for GIK, the moderators and I to discuss.

By the way, for those who have understandably questioned why I, and others, have a problem with "Seabass", I can only speak for myself, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the nickname being remotely offensive. Instead, it has everything to do with the user excessively using the nickname to the point that I get the impression he's trying it permanently ingrain it in others' minds so that they start using it, as well. I don't think it'd rub me the wrong way if it was a commonly accepted and used nickname, but we're talking about something that was allegedly given to him by a single ex-teammate. I've never once heard him referred to using this nickname anywhere else. Anyway, I know from reading other posts that I'm far from the only one that feels this way, but reds44's personal nickname for Alex Gonzalez isn't what I want this post to be about.
    I'm not trying to ingrain it into anyone's head. I've called him Seabass since he was on the Marlins. Why should I change now?

One of the user's likes to call him "Bonzo Gonzo", I've never heard anyone call him that before. Should he not be able to call him that?

Just because the nickname "annoys" a few people, doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to say it. There's nothing remotley offensive or anything that could be thought of as offensive. Nothing is masked, it's just a nickname.

There is nothing wrong with calling him Seabass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm not trying to ingrain it into anyone's head. I've called him Seabass since he was on the Marlins. Why should I change now?
    The original point was that it SEEMS like you're using the nickname in an attempt to get everyone to follow along. FWIW, I'd agree with that -- your intentions may well have nothing to do with that, but it does seem like (for a while) you were going out of your way to put the name out there for everyone to pick up.

Just because the nickname "annoys" a few people, doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to say it.
    A fair point -- but if you're doing something that you know annoys other people, you ought to be prepared for the consequences. In this case, complaints, PMs, annoyed responses in threads, and maybe even a neg or two.

Occasionally, probably not. Its kinda like last year with "Nature Boy" for Rich Aurillia -- which although wasn't a common nickname for him at least had a good number of posters using it -- it was something occasionally funny to call him but it wasn't an outright substitute for his name in every post. With nicknames, especially obscure ones or ones that don't immediately tell you who it is referring to, sometimes less is more.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

One of the user's likes to call him "Bonzo Gonzo", I've never heard anyone call him that before. Should he not be able to call him that?

Just because the nickname "annoys" a few people, doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to say it. There's nothing remotley offensive or anything that could be thought of as offensive. Nothing is masked, it's just a nickname.

To me the best nicknames aren't derogatory....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    To me the best nicknames aren't derogatory....
    Why is 'seabass' derogatory?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Why is 'seabass' derogatory?
    Supposedly he was given the name because he looked like a seabass when fielding...

Would that name make your top ten list of nicknames you'd hope to be called if you were an elite defender at short?

Think George Castanza and the t-bone episode....

If that's not compelling enough, fans calling him that aren't exactly using it as an endearing term the majority of the time....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Supposedly he was given the name because he looked like a seabass when fielding...

Would that name make your top ten list of nicknames you'd hope to be called if you were an elite defender at short?

Think George Castanza and the t-bone episode....

If that's not compelling enough, fans calling him that aren't exactly using it as an endearing term the majority of the time....
    I've seen a lot of our players called a lot of things on this board. We're not teammates, just a bunch of knucklehead fans who comment on the games. I just don't get the backlash on one poster for this. I've seen Cormier called 'Frenchy' ... where's the outcry?

I've seen Cormier called 'Frenchy' ... where's the outcry?
    You mean the same player that Montreal wanted because of his French Canadian background?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I've seen a lot of our players called a lot of things on this board. We're not teammates, just a bunch of knucklehead fans who comment on the games. I just don't get the backlash on one poster for this. I've seen Cormier called 'Frenchy' ... where's the outcry?
    To me there is a big difference between being critical of a player's performance and calling a player names. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You mean the same player that Montreal wanted because of his French Canadian background?
    And whose manager and teammates refer to as "Frenchy"?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post

Better than "Cheese eating surrender monkey."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post

"Savoir Faire is every-waire!"

Turn Off Ads?