Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Personally, I look at the game threads to gather opinions about what's happening from someone who's watching the game live, because I rarely get to see the REDS. I'm usually viewing the gameday via Sportsline or MLB.com, or Yahoo, or Fox (they all offer different things).

So, I'll ask questions...or share in the joy, or anticipation of the game. A perfect example of what I like to see is what coach said regarding Ross, that although he's been in a horrible slump, he seemed to be doing a little better last night. That's something I can't tell looking at GameDay, because it just shows him sitting there with his bat on his shoulder (strike looking, strike looking, ball, ....). I assume coach was referring to the shot that went to the outfield. I also like hearing what people say Jeff Brantley is saying. I hear a lot of negative about Brantley on this board, but I do like hearing what he has to say. I find him to be extremely knowledgeable, and I like the fact that he doesn't mind saying exactly what he thinks.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Uhhh....I was kidding. I guess I forgot the smiley. But serriously, I was kidding because me and Willymo are cool like that. He proof reads all my posts for me to make sure I haven't misspelt anything.
    Hahahahaha ohhhh Lt you're gonna get yours you just wait.

There's a secret movement afoot to institute a spelling exam in order to maintain ORG access and ... well ... I've said too much already!!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Sure it influences how much reputation is awarded. People who post more have more opportunities to earn rep. Part of the incentive of ORG is to get people posting in a way consistent with the ideals of Redszone.

One of the interesting things (to me anyway) is that 'Live' consistently has more posts/threads than does ORG---and they are written, very heavily, by ORG members. I think that this reflects a desire by most posters to expose their thoughts/opinions to the most people and to accept feedback on them.

So, my question is: If most posters ignore ORG to open up to the wider community on 'Live', just how much value is ORG? I'd like to hear some discussion on this aspect because it's something we've not talked about much.

Rem

People who can not spell.

Serriously, very interesting question.
    Funny you say that because that was my initial thought as well: people who treat this site like a text message board instead of a baseball discussion board...

It is an interesting question.

I kind of fall with Rem on this. I have negged a couple people but it usually has to be something blatant for me to do so. I'm always thinking, did I take that the wrong way and not understand the intent? Am I just in a bad mood? Are they just in a bad mood? etc, etc, and I ease off the trigger because I'm unsure on one of those answers. I also try to avoid conflict. I don't need to get in a big back and forth shouting match on a message board. Really, there's no point in that. I get enough crap in my everyday life. I come hear to enjoy myself, to learn, and to keep updated on the news of my favorite game and team, not to argue, or fight, or prove that I'm right 100% of the time.

I think I'm a little more liberal in handing out rep, though. I try to reward good interesting discussion or posts. My weakness is humor. I reward posts that make me laugh. Probably shouldn't be rep'd just for humor and nothing baseball related, but hey, if it puts a smile on my face during a long workday, that's a-ok with me and I feel in those cases that the person deserves something for brightening my day. Many will disagree with that approach, but there are no strict rules for what gets rep'd. It's up to each of us to determine that. I read all forums everyday, not just ORG, and look to reward people for what they write. I may not open every thread and read them, but I do read most of them. As for my own rep, I don't really even look at it. The only times I really notice it is when I go to change my avatar or something like that. I'll look at the list to see who I received rep from, or read to remember who I gave rep to. Other than that, I ignore it. I know I've got my 200 points and that's all I need.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Hahahahaha ohhhh Lt you're gonna get yours you just wait.

There's a secret movement afoot to institute a spelling exam in order to maintain ORG access and ... well ... I've said too much already!!
    Oh crap! I'm screwed.

Oh well, back to cinninnati.com I guess.

I'd like to hear what the owners think.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Name calling isn't productive.. Just put the guy on ignore if you don't want to deal with him.

Was that a veiled suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Sorry, I meant it in a generic fashion.. They might be someone that a given person would rather not see. In other words, there's no ORG criteria that would please everyone.. Someone would always think the bar should be raised higher.

Personally, I liked it better when it was just one forum, not seperated. So there's no one on ORG that I want booted out.
    Understood.

Here's my $.02, even though no one's asked for it.

When I joined (around a year ago), I'd just happened upon the site. (Via a google search for "Chris Sabo autographed picture" BTW.) I read the rules about rep points and ORG and all that jazz and I thought it was kinda silly.

So I figured, why not... I'm independently wealthy, with plenty of time to kill, I'll start posting some.

My first few posts were bad... as in "Adam Dunn=Dave Kingman" bad, and I got called on it (though never negged). So I looked around and thought "these people are serious. Better actually think about what I post before I post it."

Some people never realize that. They just post away. For those people, don't read it. Like RR said, there is an ignore function. See a post with what you consider a stupid title? Don't read it. Think there's too much noise in the Game Thread? Don't read it.

This is a good message board. I've spent some good time here and got to talk to some nice, nice people.

But it's not like we're curing cancer or promoting world peace.

I've already spent enough time thinking about this, so I'm done now.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    The thing is, when I see posts from 20-30 of the top posters (not by rep pts, but by gonelong standards) I read them. Its has nothing to do with rep pts, but it has everything to do with the reputation they have built for themselves over the years.

Many of the top posters here have BUILT this community, it just didn't spring from the ground. They built it by giving ... sometimes money and more importantly, content. The heavy hitters of the site deserve quite a bit more leeway than somebody who joined last week. Sure, almost everyone will be grouchy from time-to-time. I'll give more leeway to the guy that shows a level of respect for 360+ days a year for 5-6 years than I will for someone who showed up last week and is getting his panties in a wad.

IMO the only problem with rep is that it isn't being used enough on the minus end.

GL
    I agree very strongly with that (except for the last sentance, of course.

Rem

Oh crap! I'm screwed.

Oh well, back to cinninnati.com I guess.
    Uh-oh, Lt's days of posting about the Reds really are through.

He'll never find his way to 'cinninnati.com' or thereabouts!!

I just like to neg people.

People have commented that ever since we were given the ability to neg posters, my BPW (Bans Per Week) has gone way down. Now when I see a poster crack a racist joke, defend Eric Milton, allude to something 'historical' (aka 'bore me senseless'), or spell something incorrectly I have the option of negging them instead of smacking them around with the ban-stick.

In the end this has contributed to a much more pleasant and family-friendly environment, and I think that, just as much as the newly-installed arboretum and Enya muzak, puts us all at ease, doesn't it?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Uhhh....I was kidding. I guess I forgot the smiley. But serriously, I was kidding because me and Willymo are cool like that. He proof reads all my posts for me to make sure I haven't misspelt anything.
    Ok.. didn't realize it was a joke..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    The thing is, when I see posts from 20-30 of the top posters (not by rep pts, but by gonelong standards) I read them. Its has nothing to do with rep pts, but it has everything to do with the reputation they have built for themselves over the years.
    I just wanted to quote this because I think we're on the exact same wavelength. There are posters I pay a lot of attention to with very high rep totals and low rep totals. And there are posters I don't really read much with very high rep totals and low rep totals. I'm not basing the value of the poster on the rep number, but what I get out of that person's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    This is a good message board. I've spent some good time here and got to talk to some nice, nice people.

But it's not like we're curing cancer or promoting world peace.
    But we are totally destroying our nation's GNP with a total abandon of work-related issues while putting forth full effort to improve the RZ

And well done, I say

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

I don't think people actually think about their rep as posting. I just think it confers a little more leeway to "push the boundries" so to speak.

That said, I've not been around all that long so I will defer to your input regarding to how things over the life of the board, and people's behavior.

One question for you though, what's the deal with that Willymorocks guy? Has he always been a punk?
    I love Wily Mo. Over the years I've found there's just some oil and water combinations, perhaps that's what you've got there. FWIW, a few years ago I went from clashing with one poster consistently (Steel and we were brutal to each other) to getting along with quite well. Side question, when's Steel coming back? I miss that guy. - Doh! Missed the joke. Sorry about that.

As for the first part, you're talking about a pack of inveterate boundary pushers. If anything, the original group has gotten more tame over the years. You should have seen the fur that was flying around here in 2001-03. Those were our Deadwood days.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?