Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

She's so cute, isn't she?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    She's so cute, isn't she?
    Yep

What happend?
    *runs*
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Well educated cockroaches.
    Be careful using big words like "educated" around WilyMo. He gets snippy when he's confused.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Be careful using big words like "educated" around WilyMo. He gets snippy when he's confused.
    Indiana Men's Basketball Team Plane

(President of Indiana University pictured in foreground)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Albert Pujols is the alter-ego of a well-known RZ poster.
    In violation of Rule 7?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Everyone's buying this disdain for Wily Mo a little too easily, IMO!!

Face it the guy's a bum. I mean he likes UK....and he tells people about it, it's brutal.

I think that Eric Gordon avatar is going to look really nice under his SN.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    In violation of Rule 7?
    Wait a sec..where did that rule come from?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Face it the guy's a bum. I mean he likes UK....and he tells people about it, it's brutal.

I think that Eric Gordon avatar is going to look really nice under his SN.

Sorry, what'd you say, all these banners obscured my vision.

I can't decide if I'm going to give you guys a Mike Davis avatar or a Ramel "Smooth" Bradley av, or maybe go retro with Tony Delk or Kenny "Sky" Walker...

Well, I probably haven't read an eighth of this thread, but I will put in my two cents on the game threads. The game threads are the one place on this board where I AM selfish and territorial. The game threads are my baby, I love them. Sometimes (often?) they take a turn for the worst and I certainly feel for those policing them. But they're still mine, in the sense that all the people throwing worthless food around there are trashing my crib. Am I going to give them more food? No. I let them party, and when I want some of my floor back, I participate. And I still feel that when I'm participating the majority of people have worthwhile things to say in the midst of all the dreck. I'm not a "chatter", it's true; I tried instant messaging all of one time and I almost had a seizure, so I'm biased. But I just like the game threads.

My advice is that if someone says something that annoys you, ignore him. Unless it's a true troll -- something that's rare on this board -- he'll eventually be out of things to say if no one responds. The way to make anything better is not to give up on it; it's to contribute to and improve it. A friend of mine had a baby in the midst of some terrible events, and when she put him to bed one night she started tearing up and said to her husband, "What if we brought him into a terrible world?" And he shrugged and said, "Then he'll make it better." (That's only maybe a quarter-relevant metaphor, but I like to tell that story.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Well, I just finished reading every post in this thread and I'm going to post my two cents. I'm not, however, going to read every post in last night's game thread that helped spark this whole debate.

First off, from reading only the last few pages of the aforementioned game thread, it seems the negative reputation I left for reds44 may have been the catalyst for the game thread going downhill. If that is indeed the case, I apologize because that definitely wasn't the medium I should have conveyed my disdain for his repeated use of the nickname "Seabass" for Alex Gonzalez.

Ever since the reputation system was established, I've stressed that those with the ability to leave reputation should only do so for the quality (either way) of a user's post. I was in a hurry last night and rather than take the time to send him a private message, I made a mistake and chose the quick and easy way to convey my message. However, as someone who can see every reputation remark that has been left since day one, trust me when I say that there are plenty of people who don't use it for the way it was intended, and I was one of those people last night.

By the way, for those who have understandably questioned why I, and others, have a problem with "Seabass", I can only speak for myself, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the nickname being remotely offensive. Instead, it has everything to do with the user excessively using the nickname to the point that I get the impression he's trying it permanently ingrain it in others' minds so that they start using it, as well. I don't think it'd rub me the wrong way if it was a commonly accepted and used nickname, but we're talking about something that was allegedly given to him by a single ex-teammate. I've never once heard him referred to using this nickname anywhere else. Anyway, I know from reading other posts that I'm far from the only one that feels this way, but reds44's personal nickname for Alex Gonzalez isn't what I want this post to be about.

The two main topics discussed in this huge thread are a). the current state of the game threads and b). the reputation system. I do agree that some tweaks to the latter are probably needed, but I'll save my thoughts on that for a later post because I don't feel that these topics are directly related.

As far as the game threads, I'll be honest - I don't regularly read the game threads because I find them difficult to follow because of the all "noise" with so many different people posting about what they've just witnessed. I also want to make it clear that it's not fair or realistic to expect the site's administrators and moderators to read and analyze often upwards of a thousand separate posts in a game thread during a single night. If one person volunteers early in a game thread to do play by play, I think that's a great idea. Moving forward, I'll propose the following: much of the noise that currently occupies the game threads can be moved to chat. No one's asking that your posts model Shakespeare, particularly in something as relatively spontaneous as the game threads, but if your post is nothing more than ranting, or a different way of saying 'This player sucks', it should be taken to the chat room. This also applies to starting new threads as to whether or not a certain player is worth a darn because of something that happened in a game. All discussions about that specific game should remain in the game thread.

However, at worst, equally concerning to me is people attacking one another, complaining about the rules of the board, and discussing reputation and warnings in a game thread (or any thread, except in rare instances, such as this one). This type of behavior will absolutely not be tolerated any longer and, as paint said very earlier in this thread, if that means we have to close the game threads altogether, we'll reluctantly do it. Moving forward, everyone will maintain their access to post in game threads, but we, as administrators and moderators, absolutely will not hesitate to revoke access to post in games threads and/or the site as a whole. As has been mentioned throughout this thread, it is not your divine right to post here - you can choose to abide by the rules of the site and enjoy your time here or you will be shown the proverbial door.

I hope that everyone understands this new policy is in the best interest of the site. As the site continues to grow, it gets increasingly difficult to monitor every single post, particularly in the massive game threads. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I didn't see this post until I popped in to post a few comments to the game thread. I use the game threads and chat pretty much indiscriminately...I use them the same way. I just post Go Reds!, Nice Play!, etc. with the occasional intelligent comment. Basically, I treat them as if we were all at the game together. I think the real problem is just the sheer volume of people in the threads at the same time...2 more pages every time you refresh. Anyway, I think dividing it into more manageable groups is the solution, but there are many ways to do that. You could open 2, 3 or even 4 game threads per game with some sort of object in mind for each or you could go back to the old system with a thread in each forum where only ORG members can post in that forum. We could open a stream of consciousness thread, an optimist only thread, and a play by play thread. Or you could just give them different names (Bleachers, Luxury Suite, First Base Line, etc.) and let people divide up however they wish. Either way, we've gotta thin out the numbers.
    As far as posting on different forums; I just don't have the time to read all the messages here. I rarely get enough time to read the RL forum, and I don't think I've EVER posted there. I read ORG first, non-baseball if there's time, and then RL. During games, I usually just go straight to the game thread and won't see anything else until the game ends...today is the exception, just for this thread. Well, that's my 2.5 cents.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I think you should have to be a member of the Redszone for 12 months before being able to post on the game threads, reguardless of how many points you have...IMO
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

It's a sports bar. The management needs to decide what they're willing to put up with and set the tone. Give the bouncers a big stick and let them us it. Otherwise, the inmates are running the asylum.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Well, the Boss has spoken. Spot on as usual.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Tonight's game thread was much better.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?