Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Game thread forum a mess...

Re: Game thread forum a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    And whose manager and teammates refer to as "Frenchy"?
    Maybe he doesn't like it. A quick search on "seabass" and "alex gonzalez" shows that he's carried the nickname since his Marlin days. I don't know if he likes it or not. I don't know if Adam Dunn is fond of being called a Donkey?

Or if Sean Casey was thrilled that a Double Play is referred to as "hitting into a Casey"

Maybe we shouldn't use nicknames at all so that we're more sensitive to the players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I don't know if he likes it or not.
    In that case, you sure have a lot to say on the matter.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Maybe we shouldn't use nicknames at all so that we're more sensitive to the players.
    Maybe we shouldn't post news stories that quote Jerry Narron talking about "Dunner." Maybe we shouldn't link to entries on C. Trent's blog about "Mr. Hatt." Maybe we shouldn't refer to Franchester as "Marty."

(Actually, I kind of like that last idea.)

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Maybe we shouldn't link to entries on C. Trent's blog about "Mr. Hatt."

C. Trent thinks by adding a "t" he can get out of paying me royalties for hanging "Mr. Hat" on him. Pay up, Trent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

In the spirit of truth in labeling, I think Alex Gonzalez should wear a label on his uniform saying:

"This product does not contain sea bass and is not meant for human consumption per USDA rule 42-stroke-BR549".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Then you should be even more frustrated than the average fan. It's been 6 years since the Reds have had a winning record but 12 years since they've been to the playoffs.

There are a lot of people on this board that feel the pitching is more likely to play down to their potential. Aren't they welcome to express their opinion?

Rem
    Rem, thank you for that post because I can really tie together what I'm trying to say. Yes, everyone is welcome to express their opinion. And yes it has been a very long time since the Reds have had a winning record or made the playoffs. That is why in cases like last season and this season when the Reds are right around .500, that the reactions of people on this board just blows me away. A .500 season is just about enough to win the divison right now and if not at least its an improvement. To hear Redzoners say the team is horrible just defies logic. I could understand if it was 1982. Want to argue about the validity of sabremetrics? Great. Want to debate how good or bad a player is? Outstanding. But it is just not right to insult or belittle a team that recently has been and is a contender for the division title. That should be recognized, respected, and appreciated because as we all know success has been scarce for the Reds in recent seasons. I'm all for open discussion and free expression but lets give credit where credit is due. The Reds deserve it.

I reviewed the context of the conversation that precluded the post you referenced and I stand by what I said before.

Rem

Maybe he doesn't like it. A quick search on "seabass" and "alex gonzalez" shows that he's carried the nickname since his Marlin days. I don't know if he likes it or not. I don't know if Adam Dunn is fond of being called a Donkey?

Or if Sean Casey was thrilled that a Double Play is referred to as "hitting into a Casey"

Heck, you pay me the major league minimum and you can call me anything your little heart desires.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I reviewed the context of the conversation that precluded the post you referenced and I stand by what I said before.

Rem
    Fair enough, you want them to get better as do I. I believe they are. Weak division or not, the Reds were in the playoff chase last season until September 30. This from a team who hasn't been to the playoffs since '95. Three playoff appearances in 30 years. Twelve appearances in the last 125 years. When they are contending for the division, I would think Reds fans would be happy. But, you and others see things differently. I'm a glass half full guy and others aren't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Actually, I'm a glass half-full person myself---that's what makes this team so disappointing. :

When I hear people waxing peotic about this collection of parts I can't help but think of Alan Greenspan's term, 'irrational enthusiasm'.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?