Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

Re: Site Feedback/Questions

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I don't think that necessarily answered his question though, because I was wondering the same thing.
    A minimum of 50 ORG members must vote and the "Yes" votes must equal at least 75%. For example, if 50 ORG members vote then there must be at least 38 "Yes" votes. If 88 ORG members vote, then there must be 66 "Yes" votes, etc.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Additionally it's not likely you'll know you are being voted on, so worrying about how long it will take or who votes is fruitless.
    I'm not stressing about it, just curious about the new process. Things seem to be running smoothly so far.

Edit: and thanks for the quick answers all 4 of you

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    That's besides the point really. To play by the rules, get accepted and earn the right to post in ORG and the game threads and to have that taken away and forced to go through another process is just unreasonable.

I'm pretty upset right now and will just walk away from this site for a few days to decide if I even want to come back.
    jimbo, I'm sorry you feel this way. I'm sure there are others with similar thoughts (and there will be more to come). Again, this wasn't an easy decision, but it was the right one. RedsZone is a privately owned site (it has been since its creation in April of 2000). This is a decision that Boss and I made - and it isn't changing. I hope you decide to stick around and enjoy reading ORG and participating in the SunDeck.

Honestly, I don't think this new setup is a great idea. I don't understand why ORG members aren't allowed to post in the Sun Deck. We're supposed to be evaluating who should get moved into ORG, but it makes it harder to do when you're not allowed to have any interaction with anyone in the Sun Deck. Plus it's going to cause issues for those currently in the Sun Deck. People tend to find other members they feel comfortable chatting/debating/interacting with and form friendships with in the forums. The new members are going to do the same. What's going to be their reward when they get called up? They get cut off from the posters they enjoy interacting with and have to start from scratch. That just doesn't seem right.

I don't really understand cutting off the game threads from the Sun Deck either. I know there have been problems with the game threads and it's tricky to find the answer to them. I just personally don't see this as being the answer. I think it'll do nothing but fracture the community. Again, you're removing a chance to interact with the newer posters. When there were two separate game thread I usually hung out in the Reds Live thread, just so I could get to know some of the newer people and get a feel for them. I know I was in the minority on that, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I do think the change from the reputation system to the election one is a positive. It was getting to the point where a powerful member could almost single-handedly move someone up. So I think this change will prove to be more effective. I just worry that the other moves will wind up being a step back.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Additionally it's not likely you'll know you are being voted on, so worrying about how long it will take or who votes is fruitless.
    That's kind of cryptic. So it's a blind secret ballot? I would think at least being alerted that you're nominated would be nice. Then a person could prepare an acceptance speech and practice their fake smile in the case that Oprah wins the emmy again.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

A maximum rep would have fixed those problems. Especially with groups just repping each other (resulting in rep in the 1000s,etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    A maximum rep would have fixed those problems. Especially with groups just repping each other (resulting in rep in the 1000s,etc.).
    The message board software doesn't allow for that. We are constrained by the limitations of vBulletin, even though it is a very good platform.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Good questions, Danny.

I would simply look at it this way...

The Old Red Guard is RedsZone.

We could have left it at that and closed the door, but we didn't. We wanted to allow existing and new members the opportunity to discuss the Reds in a more controlled, family-oriented format. I'm not concerned about duplicate topics. The Sun Deck also allows us to review a body of work by members who wish to apply to The Old Red Guard. Without this separate baseball forum, we would have to rely solely on written applications which provide little in the way of how someone would operate on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    That's besides the point really. To play by the rules, get accepted and earn the right to post in ORG and the game threads and to have that taken away and forced to go through another process is just unreasonable.

I'm pretty upset right now and will just walk away from this site for a few days to decide if I even want to come back.
    Come on jimbo, you're a good poster. I agree that you should probably should have been in the ORG, but again you're a good poster and you'll get back in. And it probably won't take very long.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Re: Anyone else rather be in the Sun Deck?

I already wrote to the administration and expressed my opinions. I think it is wrong to change the rules in the middle of the game. If you received the rep points then it seems obvious that someone thought you were contributing. If they thought the 200 rep point entry point was too low simply raise it.

This is a message forum, not a job. It is kind of ridiculous that posters have to send in their application when they have proved to be able to discuss the Cincinnati Reds in an intelligent manner, without any personal attacks, etc. You're turning a fun message board into work. Work to get rep points, work to win an election. I am putting out a sign in my yard right now that reads

VOTE TEAMSELIG FOR ORG

I need a campaign manager.

This is a message forum, not a job.
    It's also a privately owned and operated message board. Boss and GIK make the rules, it's up to you to play by them.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

This is a message forum, not a job. It is kind of ridiculous that posters have to send in their application when they have proved to be able to discuss the Cincinnati Reds in an intelligent manner, without any personal attacks, etc. You're turning a fun message board into work. Work to get rep points, work to win an election. I am putting out a sign in my yard right now that reads

VOTE TEAMSELIG FOR ORG

That's a little over the top. It's a privately owned and operated message board. I, for one, am thankful that the opportunity to read and post here wasn't taken away completely (as it could have been). In the end, it boils down to the cost. We aren't forced to pay to post here, so any belief that we have "rights" or are entitled to anything at all is unfounded. This service is still being provided free of charge. Make the most of it, things could be a lot worse.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

What rule have I broken?

Also, I know they own the board and everything. I appreciate it all, but I think there have been too many changes to something that was great to begin with.

I hear these guys are available........

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?