Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

Re: Site Feedback/Questions

I have zero qualms about anyone making a buck but are all these ads really necessary? The ads on RZ have gotten to be downright intrusive and unlike any other site I frequent. Some will take over your page and sometimes get to the point where it gives you the dreaded message "you do not have permission to access this site". I understand that there are ways around this like paying thirty bucks or using a browser like Brave but must we really go through such hoops in order to enjoy RZ?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I have zero qualms about anyone making a buck but are all these ads really necessary? The ads on RZ have gotten to be downright intrusive and unlike any other site I frequent. Some will take over your page and sometimes get to the point where it gives you the dreaded message "you do not have permission to access this site". I understand that there are ways around this like paying thirty bucks or using a browser like Brave but must we really go through such hoops in order to enjoy RZ?
    Ads aren't nearly the way to offset expenses to the extent they used to be, so I did increase the frequency to help with that. I see some pretty intrusive ones on other sites, so I'd like to hear how others' experience compares. As you acknowledged, it's pretty easy and affordable to avoid them altogether for $30 a year. To answer your question as to must you really go through these hoops? No, you could find somewhere else to discuss the Reds and politics that displays fewer ads or you could accept it has to be worth my while to keep the site running after 23+ years. Even still, I can assure you that I'm not heavily profiting from the ads, regardless their frequency, nor do I ever expect to do so.

You shouldn't be getting any sort of message along those lines, so if you can provide any additional detail about it, such it when it appears, does it affect the ad or the site, and if the latter, does it completely restrict access to the site or just a portion, and for how long, that'd help me troubleshoot.

They call me "chef"

They are intrusive. To browse the website, it requires zooming in and selecting the X on a full page ad a few times per visit. But I think intrusive and annoying is sorta the point. They haven’t caused the site’s functionality to break or become unusable, which is where I think there would need to be a definitive correction. Annoying ads = membership looks more appealing.

5. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    They are intrusive. To browse the website, it requires zooming in and selecting the X on a full page ad a few times per visit. But I think intrusive and annoying is sorta the point. They haven’t caused the site’s functionality to break or become unusable, which is where I think there would need to be a definitive correction. Annoying ads = membership looks more appealing.
    Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, is this regarding the type of ads that periodically appear between pages and/or another type?

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, is this regarding the type of ads that periodically appear between pages and/or another type?
    The full page ads that load in between pages. The inline ads in between posts are practically invisible to me but the in-between ads are annoying to exit out of. Instead of clicking on any empty grey space outside the ad to close them, you have to zoom in to accurately click on the X or the thin band of empty space at the very top of the screen which is a little bit of a purposeful UI/UX middle finger to people trying to quickly minimize the intrusion. :-) Still within the realm of normal, IMO. If you did it for every other page load, I’d probably stop visiting— wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The full page ads that load in between pages. The inline ads in between posts are practically invisible to me but the in-between ads are annoying to exit out of. Instead of clicking on any empty grey space outside the ad to close them, you have to zoom in to accurately click on the X or the thin band of empty space at the very top of the screen which is a little bit of a purposeful UI/UX middle finger to people trying to quickly minimize the intrusion. :-) Still within the realm of normal, IMO. If you did it for every other page load, I’d probably stop visiting— wait.
    Thanks for confirming. I'm sure you're right about the UI/UX design, and to be clear for anyone else who's wondering, I don't have any control over that. As you might imagine, those ads are the type that generally perform the best. I have them set to display every five minutes, so after the initial one, it shouldn't be any more frequent than that.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I will say that paying the $30 to avoid ads is well worth it.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

mth123 (12-03-2023)

They call me "chef"

We all gotta choose where to break off that cheddar. I got a few podcasts and friends’ artistic pursuits that I drop $5-15 each on every month so I have to live with my RZ ads.

12. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-02-2023)

Shoutout to the mods who just did a great job deleting a really offensive post, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Shoutout to the mods who just did a great job deleting a really offensive post, thanks!
    Sorry I missed it

Ads aren't nearly the way to offset expenses to the extent they used to be, so I did increase the frequency to help with that. I see some pretty intrusive ones on other sites, so I'd like to hear how others' experience compares. As you acknowledged, it's pretty easy and affordable to avoid them altogether for $30 a year. To answer your question as to must you really go through these hoops? No, you could find somewhere else to discuss the Reds and politics that displays fewer ads or you could accept it has to be worth my while to keep the site running after 23+ years. Even still, I can assure you that I'm not heavily profiting from the ads, regardless their frequency, nor do I ever expect to do so.

You shouldn't be getting any sort of message along those lines, so if you can provide any additional detail about it, such it when it appears, does it affect the ad or the site, and if the latter, does it completely restrict access to the site or just a portion, and for how long, that'd help me troubleshoot.
    Here's the message I got just a minute ago:

Sea Ray, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Here's what happened:

I hit "like" for a post I was reading. A full page ad takes over my screen. I close that ad and then this message pops up. I then have to "back" to get back to where I was

Nowhere that I frequent do full page ads take over my screen long after I've logged into a site. This happened under Chrome, BTW

Next time this happens, let me know the URL it's in regards to i.e. what specific address is it that you don't have permission to access. I can't think of any reason you should be getting that in that circumstance.

Next time this happens, let me know the URL it's in regards to i.e. what specific address is it that you don't have permission to access. I can't think of any reason you should be getting that in that circumstance.
    Here's what I got today. Hopefully this is what you're looking for:

https://www.redszone.com/forums/post...b98f359b2a24e4

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Here's what I got today. Hopefully this is what you're looking for:

https://www.redszone.com/forums/post...b98f359b2a24e4
    Assuming you were logged in, I have no clue why you would've gotten that error at that link because your account has permission to view the area where that post was made.

If anyone else is receiving a 'you don't have permission' error for a thread or area you believe you should be able to access, please let me know which thread / area or the URL.

Assuming you were logged in, I have no clue why you would've gotten that error at that link because your account has permission to view the area where that post was made.

If anyone else is receiving a 'you don't have permission' error for a thread or area you believe you should be able to access, please let me know which thread / area or the URL.
    For me it only happens when "liking" a post. Most of the time "liking" a post goes through smoothly but occasionally this happens. I'm absolutely logged in. If I hit the back button I can proceed normally

Turn Off Ads?