Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else rather be in the Sun Deck?

Re: Anyone else rather be in the Sun Deck?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I'm waiting for Natty Redlocks to compose a song called 'Sun Deck" to the tune of Gordon Lightfoot's 'Sundown'.
    "Sun Deck, you better take care
    If I find you been postin' 'bout how Dunn don't care..."

I'm no lyricist like Natty but I had to take a shot since I love that song.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

I keep coming back to Sundeck Hero to the tune of Jukebox Hero by Foreigner, but Gordon Lightfoot's cool too.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Ask not what Redszone can do for you - ask what you can do for Redszone.

GL

Recovering Cubs Fan

Speak loudly and carry an enormous grudge

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I echo what VP said... where is that rep button? Now see, this is a well thought out post (I might not agree with everything said but it was worded in a way that stated your case).

Good riddens to the Rep system. Every post should not be subject to a popularity contest...

You make the best of the circumstances you are in. I have applied for ORG status, but I do not know whether I will be approved. I will make quality posts on Sun Deck if I am not, and I will make positive posts on the Old Red Guard if I am. I have never had ORG status, and am unsure if I ever will, but you do your best in the forum you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Good riddens to the Rep system. Every post should not be subject to a popularity contest...
    But isnt every post collectivley still a popularity contest? The people stuck in the sun deck are still being judged on every post in order to get promoted to the big boy board.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I think the reputation system was flawed and am glad it is gone.I think it is proper that game threads are only on The Old Red Guard, although I never post on game threads. I do wonder if it was a mistake to seperate the two posting forums, and only allow you to post on one. We'll see if the new changes work out. I rather enjoy posting on The Sun Deck.

I'm not sure which forum I'd rather be in. The Sun Deck seems to have a bunch of 14-year-olds who can barely spell their name and make some of the worst posts I've ever seen.

The ORG has pretty good posters who uses pythagorean theorem and a lot of seemingly useless baseball stats to prove to me Adam Dunn is a good defensive outfielder. It seems the posters in the Sun Deck are younger and don't understand the game as much as the ORG does. But the ORG has posters who are completely shortsighted who are negative about every little thing a person, especially WK, has done.

Overall, I like how you have separated the good from bad. But having to vote on a poster is ludicrous to get into the ORG. The reputation system is still in place and I feel like I have to agree with a lot of "important" people on this board or research those same old meaningless baseball stats for 3 hours before I can be considered a "good" poster.

Personally, I thought common sense would rule but it appears that has gone by the wayside.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    seemingly useless baseball stats to prove to me Adam Dunn is a good defensive outfielder.
    I wasn't aware those existed.

As for the whole debate, I guess the main problem I have is that once you get to ORG, you can no longer post in the Sun Deck. I mean, I very much understand not letting those in the Sun Deck to post in ORG, and to a lesser extent the Game Thread. But I don't quite get barring posters (who have proven themselves to add quality posts with relevant/ineteresting information) from posting in any topic in the Sun Deck. Basically, I feel as though it should be as it was, where someone with ORG status can post anywhere; however, without first earning that privelege you can only post in designated areas. I really do feel like I'm missing out on some potentially very educational converstaions with intelligent posters because of this, and the same will continue should I ever make it to ORG status (due to the inability to post in the Sun Deck).

Other than that, I really don't see a problem with any of the changes.

But having to vote on a poster is ludicrous to get into the ORG. The reputation system is still in place and I feel like I have to agree with a lot of "important" people on this board or research those same old meaningless baseball stats for 3 hours before I can be considered a "good" poster.
    Your perception is not reality. ORG consists of people from across a wide specturm of experiences and ways of both understanding and enjoying the sport of baseball. More to the point, there's been people voted into ORG who don't always agree with everybody. There's been people voted in who bring a new or different angle to the conversation. There was plenty of discussion focused directly on the idea of avoiding "group think" from developing.

Boss and GIK have graciously allowed us to police what is their board. That is generous in my opinion. They could have just as easily said, "these folks are in, these are out, and there will be no changes ever". Instead they gave members of RZ a role in creating the community we call all spend countless hours enjoying.

High five!

But the ORG has posters who are completely shortsighted who are negative about every little thing a person, especially WK, has done.
    There's not really a dearth of that in the Sun Deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You're right, just every post(er).

Go suck-up to Fantasy Baseball Stat Geeks who can post 1,000 posts a day and think that makes them "elite". Just means you don't have a job or a life.

I got one feedback since I've been here, and it was to not "disguise" my cursing.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    You're right, just every post(er).

Go suck-up to Fantasy Baseball Stat Geeks who can post 1,000 posts a day and think that makes them "elite". Just means you don't have a job or a life.

I got one feedback since I've been here, and it was to not "disguise" my cursing.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    And what a four months it has been, eh?

Seriously though, I was also pretty annoyed by the changes. I thought I was a good contributor and I had already made the ORG via the rep points system. I didn't understand why I got what I perceived as a demotion.

I was perhaps right to be a bit shocked, but I was wrong to be annoyed. Boss and GIK run this board in their own spare time out of their own pockets. They graciously allow the rest of us to profit from their hard work without requiring us to donate a red cent. Similar boards like Sons of Sam Horn have become commercialized and require dues for people to even have access. That makes RedsZone and others like it a rare breed. I am not aware of many other free MLB fan boards that have both the organizational rigor and the standards that RedsZone does. We have a special thing going on here, and we should work to help Boss and GIK make it better. Sometimes, that means trying to understand standards that aren't immediately self-evident.

Believe me, if you play by the rules and enjoy yourself here, nothing is stopping you from joining the ORG very soon.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-27-2007 at 10:41 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Believe me, if you play by the rules and enjoy yourself here, nothing is stopping you from joining the ORG very soon.
    GREAT!!! Then, my life will be complete! I can die a happy man!!

I've been on MANY Boards, including SteelerNation, that are run the EXACT SAME WAY - by a couple dudes in their spare time. Guess what - it looks EXACTLY LIKE THIS SITE, except for a few advertizements. Donation is OPTIONAL, and there's no Freakin' Elitist BS Zone you have to "APPLY" for.

Other than that, I see your point.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?